Channel Changing speeds (1 Viewer)

Klept

Portal Pro
January 9, 2007
Utah
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
What are the factors in the amount of time it takes to change channels. I know on an old Analog TV tuner card that I have it changes almost instantly. (In the software supplied by with the card).

I use a ATI 650 pro and it seems to take a VERY long time to change channels. (about 4-5 seconds)... Is this normal?

I'm just using OTA Digital with an antenna. They change pretty quick on my normal TV's. Is this a bottleneck of the card itself, or just need more horsepower on my CPU. It's only an anthlon 1.2Ghz.

Thanks!

Aaron

Portal Member
January 16, 2007
Home Country
You think you are having changing problems? :)

I'm currently experiencing around 20s delays between channel changes (10s of which Media Portal is non-responsive). I have a Leadtek DTV1000 tuner with a Leadtek ti4200 vid card.

I've tried the cards in a P4 2.4 and a 2.8HT machine (each with different RAM / mobos) with the same results.

The Winfast software that comes with the card manages changes in a couple of seconds, so I'm convinced it's not hardware - any ideas?

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Try to change channel with timeshift off. Is there any improvement?

Klept

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2007
    Utah
    Home Country
    You think you are having changing problems? :)

I'm currently experiencing around 20s delays between channel changes (10s of which Media Portal is non-responsive). I have a Leadtek DTV1000 tuner with a Leadtek ti4200 vid card.

I've tried the cards in a P4 2.4 and a 2.8HT machine (each with different RAM / mobos) with the same results.

The Winfast software that comes with the card manages changes in a couple of seconds, so I'm convinced it's not hardware - any ideas?

hehe.. well my channel change speeds are an estimate. Might be longer. I think this has to do with what the channel is changing from,to.

I haven't hooked it up, but I'd assume that flipping through analog channels would be pretty quick. (Not much has to be decoded or handled). Flipping Digital OTA channels should be slower. Amirite?

Interesting that your "beefy" hardware dosen't seem to be any faster.. hmmm..
    With your Leadtek DTV1000 are you running analog, and digital? Also - Does that card have hardware decoding or software decoding? Looks like it's about $50.00 USD. Didn't think you could get one with hw decoding for that much.

quiller

Portal Pro
    November 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    Home Country
    Klept said:
    hmm.. Do you mean that it is turned on by default when you setup MP?
    Yes. You can turn it off by going to the MyTV Home screen (the very first screen you see when entering MyTV).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom