Channel Changing speeds (1 Viewer)

Klept

Portal Pro
January 9, 2007
Utah
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Klept said:
hmm.. Do you mean that it is turned on by default when you setup MP?
Yes. You can turn it off by going to the MyTV Home screen (the very first screen you see when entering MyTV).

Right - I know that. :) I was just wondering if it was turned on my default. IE, would it impact the time it takes to change channels with a default installation.

Aaron

Portal Member
January 16, 2007
Home Country
hehe.. well my channel change speeds are an estimate. Might be longer. I think this has to do with what the channel is changing from,to.

I haven't hooked it up, but I'd assume that flipping through analog channels would be pretty quick. (Not much has to be decoded or handled). Flipping Digital OTA channels should be slower. Amirite?

Interesting that your "beefy" hardware dosen't seem to be any faster.. hmmm..
With your Leadtek DTV1000 are you running analog, and digital? Also - Does that card have hardware decoding or software decoding? Looks like it's about $50.00 USD. Didn't think you could get one with hw decoding for that much.

I just tried it without time shifting and can get the speeds down to around 10s (still bloody slow). I have NFI if the ti4200 supports hardware decoding, but even assuming it doesn't, software decoding on a 2.8 should still be quicker than 10s. I'm prepared to go and get some new hardware, I just need to know what to replace rather than go out and spend lots of money on what I don't need. Either the vid card or the tuner must be the culprit (as I said in Winfast's software channel changes are quite quick).

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I just need to know what to replace rather than go out and spend lots of money on what I don't need.
    Could you post your system configuration (use the template) and your attach your MediaPortal.log file and we will see if we can find why the channel changes are so slow - they should be < 2 seconds ... :)

Aaron

Portal Member
    January 16, 2007
    Home Country
    I just need to know what to replace rather than go out and spend lots of money on what I don't need.
    Could you post your system configuration (use the template) and your attach your MediaPortal.log file and we will see if we can find why the channel changes are so slow - they should be < 2 seconds ... :)

I'll grab the log tonight (I don't have access from work, and no net access from home :( )

MediaPortal Version: 0.2.2.0
    Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP2
    CPU Type: P4 2.4 (also tried 2.8)
    HDD: Seagate 4G (originally 80G, but put fresh copy on win on this one to see what would happen)
    Memory: 256MB (also tried 512MB)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8IE
    Video Card: Leadtek Ti4200 (128MB)
    1. TV Card: Leadtek DTV1000
    MPEG2 Video Codec: Nvidia PureVideo
    TV: Samsung 32" LCD
    TV - HTPC Connection: D-Sub

thkogel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2006
    germany
    I also have more than 2 seconds by changing channels. With TS on it's 4 - 5 seconds.
    Taipan:
    Are you using any Patches like the dvb-Patch or patch for 2 or more tv-cards?
    I'm reading you are have 2 card's in your system. Infinityloop also have 2 cards and he have <2 seconds too.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    @taipan:
    Are you using any Patches like the dvb-Patch or patch for 2 or more tv-cards?
    I'm reading you are have 2 card's in your system. Infinityloop also have 2 cards and he have <2 seconds too.
    Yes, I have ALL the recommended Microsoft patches installed.

Also, it has been my experience that the BDA drivers have an influence on the speed of channel changing - some manufacturer's do a better job with this aspect in their BDA drivers than others.

pmcguire

Portal Pro
    November 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Channel changing speed here is about 9 seconds between encrypted channels, FTA is about 3 seconds.
    I have the Technotrend S2-3200 with Conax CAM, FTA channels are handled by me terratec cyncergy 2400i

DVB viewer changes encrypted channels in about 2 seconds :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom