Channel Scan for HDHomerun Prime not matching (1 Viewer)

kevins7189

Portal Member
December 23, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
If setting SDT/VCT has an affect, it is not working, because no matter what the number is it takes the same amount of time each time to do a digital cable scan from what I have seen so far (~5min, like the wiki says). And unfortunately still 333 channels.
Any other ideas?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The setting is a "time out", which means it is an upper bound. It won't necessarily take all the time... but it should if it needs to. I'd be interested to see the log files from the scan.

P.S. Merry Christmas! :)

verygrumpy

January 20, 2015
    Home Country
    Is this thread dead? I have a similar problem with the TV Server (v.1.10.0) scan of Cox Cable channels (Florida) completely missing some of the channels that I watch regularly and many popular channel names are reported as "Unknown" (SDT/VCT=600 secs), yet all of these channels were found in the HDHomeRun Prime (with a Cisco Tuning Adapter) lineup and by my Cox set-top box. Until I found this thread, I thought the culprit might be my HDHR Prime hardware because the "Type" for 2 of the 3 Prime tuners sometimes says ATSC and sometimes says unknown.

kevins7189

Portal Member
    December 23, 2014
    Home Country
    i gave up on mediaportal for now, was never able to get the channels from my HDPrime. It is clear the problem is with the application (or some hidden setting) so decided not to waste anymore time on it until it is fixed. I'm still willing to help fix it, but as it stands it doesn't work today.

kevins7189

Portal Member
    December 23, 2014
    Home Country
    that procedure worked for NPVR, but did not work (for me) in Mediaportal. Mediaportal insists on doing its own channel scan for some reason, instead of just using the one the Prime already did (unless its been fixed since I started this thread.)
    For example, when you do this procedure in NPVR, NPVR doesn't even scan channels individually, it populates immediately with what the prime has for a lineup. But, Mediaportal goes through the process again of scanning, and then misses several. It doesn't break what the prime has either, you can compare side by side Mediaportal and the HD Webpage lineup and see the missing channels.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    that procedure worked for NPVR, but did not work (for me) in Mediaportal.
    Yep, that is correct. The procedure won't make any difference for MP.

Mediaportal insists on doing its own channel scan for some reason, instead of just using the one the Prime already did (unless its been fixed since I started this thread.)
    As explained earlier in the thread, we do our own channel scan because we want to support all CableCARD tuners without including proprietary code (which is a maintenance concern etc. etc. etc.).

If you're really desperate, missing channels can be added manually.
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Go to the "TV Channels" section.
    3. Click "add" to add a channel.
    4. Enter any name and number you want to add. These don't really matter, except that the number will be the number that you have to key in on your remote when you want to switch to the channel. The number does not have to match the regular/conventional channel number (ie. you can renumber your channels if you don't like your cable provider's numbering system).
    5. Click "add" to add a tuning detail.
    6. Select ATSC and click OK.
    7. Values should be as follows:
      1. Channel number should ideally be the physical channel number that the channel is transmitted on. You probably won't know this, so just enter a number greater than 0 and less than 159 such as 1. Note that the fact that you don't know the correct value means you won't be able to tune/share the channel with a clear QAM tuner even if the channel is not encrypted. Clear QAM tuners require the channel number (and frequency, and modulation) to be set correctly in order to tune successfully. Having said that, if you're reading this then it probably means your cable provider uses switched digital video (SDV) - ie. you require a tuning adaptor/resolver. Clear QAM tuners can't tune SDV channels so the point is moot.
      2. Frequency should ideally be the frequency corresponding with the physical channel entered in channel number. You probably won't know this either. Just set it to a value between 55250 and 999000. 55250 is fine.
      3. Major channel number must be set to the channel's virtual/logical channel number. This is the number that you key in on your remote when you want to switch to the channel with your cable provider's set top box.
      4. Minor channel number must be set to 0.
      5. Modulation should ideally match the physical channel modulation scheme used. This is almost always 64 or 256 QAM for cable (VSB is over the air terrestrial ATSC). Just set it to 256 QAM as that's probably what your cable provider is using. It doesn't matter unless using a clear QAM tuner, but you're probably not using a clear QAM tuner for the reasons described above.
      6. Network ID should ideally be set to the channel's source ID. You probably won't know this so just set it to 0.
      7. Transport [stream] ID should ideally be set to the TSID corresponding with the physical channel. You probably won't know this, so just set it to 0.
      8. Service ID (AKA program number) must be set to the channel's program number. You probably won't know this, so you'll have to get it from the tuner's web page.
      9. PMT PID should ideally be set to the channel's PMT PID. People with PRIME tuners can just set it to 0. People with Ceton tuners must find the real value. Perhaps you can get it from the tuner's web page.
      10. Provider can be set to whatever you like.
      11. Free to air should be ticked for non-encrypted channels, or not ticked for encrypted channels. If you're using a CableCARD tuner then chances are you're tuning encrypted channels, and therefore the box should be unticked.
    8. Click OK and OK again to save the channel.
    9. Map/link the channel to your tuners.
    With any luck you'll now be able to tune the channel.

jeff2020

March 11, 2017
    Home Country
    I think I have validated both MediaPortal 1 & 2 do not fully support HDHR with CableCards. I have the exact situation described above with Spectrum (Brighthouse) Cable. For me, MP picks 171 vs 503 actual. Both the HDHR TV app and NextPVR are able to find all. I tried the manual process described and it does work but hardly a practical workaround with so many missing. MediaPortal was my first choice but I will need to abandon it. It was clear from the responses above it was too much work to support the HDHR configuration. This thread is the only place I could find where this non-support is documented. It would have saved me a lot of time if I had found it sooner.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello jeff2020

I think I have validated both MediaPlayer 1 & 2 do not support HDHR with CableCards.
    That's a huge statement for a first post!

I'm the person who added CableCARD tuner support for MP1. I specifically engaged with SiliconDust and tested HDHR PRIME tuners with CableCARDs... and they worked... and still do work. Plenty of people have tested and confirm the same. Therefore I respectfully disagree with you and challenge you to provide evidence for your claim.

P.S. I assume you mean MediaPortal not MediaPlayer. :)

I have the exact situation described above with Spectrum (Brighthouse) Cable. For me, MP picks 171 vs 503 actual.
    If you have the exact situation described above (which nobody except yourself can currently verify because you haven't provided log files or any other supporting evidence), the same responses will apply. In other words, your problem has two possible causes:
    1. You haven't configured TV Server correctly as instructed in our wiki (manual) and various threads in this forum, OR...
    2. Your cable provider does not include your missing channels in their CableCARD channel lineup.
    If (1) is applicable, the problem is entirely of your own making. If you'd like assistance, I'd be happy to help you configure TV Server correctly so that you get your full lineup.

If (2) is applicable, the problem is the making of your cable provider. Anecdotally this problem affects very few cable providers/head-ends. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about it. Potential solutions:
    1. If you're only missing a few channels, you can add them manually via the procedure described in my previous reply.
    2. You can contact your cable provider and complain that their CableCARD lineup is missing channels in your area. AFAIK there are FCC regulations that require them to maintain the accuracy of their CableCARD lineup, so you have excellent grounds for complaining.
    3. It's almost certainly possible to automatically import your full lineup if your tuner somehow provides a full lineup listing. It'd have to be done differently for each type/brand of CableCARD tuner (ie. HDHR PRIME, Ceton, ATI etc.)... but it should be possible, and not difficult either.

Both the HDHR TV app and NextPVR are able to find all.
    Unlike MediaPortal, those apps get their lineup directly from the tuner via a proprietary interface. We could do the same... but if we did, we'd only be able to tuners on a case-by-case basis like those apps do. We want to support all CableCARD tuners.

I tried the manual process described and it does work but hardly a practical workaround with so many missing.
    Sure, that's completely understandable. What about the other 2 options mentioned above?

MediaPortal was my first choice but I will need to abandon it.
    Given that this is your first post here, I have to say it hardly seems like you've given MediaPortal a fair chance.

It was clear from the responses above it was too much work to support the HDHR configuration.
    Don't know what gave you that impression. :confused:

This thread is the only place I could find where this non-support is documented. It would have saved me a lot of time if I had found it sooner.
    Nowhere in this forum or any other place will you find [current] documentation that says we don't support "the HDHR with CableCARDs". If you did find such a statement, I'd categorically deny it as false. As explained above, my conviction is that your problem is caused either by incorrect configuration or an incomplete lineup from your cable provider. Both of those things are completely outside our control. I can totally understand why you'd think MediaPortal is at fault, but appearances can be deceiving... and in this case - respectfully - I think you're mistaken.

jeff2020

March 11, 2017
    Home Country
    Sorry if I offended with my post. I did update it right after I sent to correct the typo and add "fully" to the first sentence. I am one of three families currently evaluating PVR solutions to replace our WMC installs. The original eval of MP was in an OTA environment and I was sold on MP. The eval in my CableCard environment did not go so well with the issue described in the tread. I believe I have followed the setup Wiki and other info provided in this thread and others. The problem the original poster presented was never fully addressed other than a workaround to manually add channels even though it appeared all the info requested by you was provided. In the thread you do state "I'd have had to support both formats... which is double the work". Is it possible the thing the two other posters and I have in common is MP support for HDHR, CableCard with tuning adapter? I realize my post was 40000 ft with no logs but at the end of the day I have the HDHR app, NextPVR and WMC all able to see and access 500+ channels where MP sees 171.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom