Chromecast (1 Viewer)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Yes, but you'd still need to have a PC running Mediaportal somewhere else in the house wouldn't you? So you need HTPC+tablet/phone+chromecast dongle

With a Windows 8.1 tablet running you only need tablet+Miracast reciver.

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Wouldn't it be easier to just have Mediaportal running on a Windows 8.1 tablet and use its built in Miracast support?
    I don't know much about Miracast and Windows tablets, but I'm pretty sure it can't match the $35 price of the Chromecast.

Yes, but you'd still need to have a PC running Mediaportal somewhere else in the house wouldn't you? So you need HTPC+tablet/phone+chromecast dongle

That doesn't support the TV Engine, which is #1 reason to use MP for me.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    network tuner.. http://www.silicondust.com although i heard that miracast was buggy in it's present state. however i checked the miracast website and samsung, lg, philips, sony, sharp, toshiba all have miracast tvs. also listed was wdtv, and lots of routers.

Last edited:

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Wouldn't it be easier to just have Mediaportal running on a Windows 8.1 tablet and use its built in Miracast support?
    I don't know much about Miracast and Windows tablets, but I'm pretty sure it can't match the $35 price of the Chromecast.

Not $35, but there is a Netgear one for $60 that aparenlty works With the Surface Pro. And I'm guessing we'll see cheaper ones as time goes by.

http://withinwindows.com/within-win...acast-wireless-display-tech-and-it-works-well

That doesn't support the TV Engine, which is #1 reason to use MP for me.[/quote]

That's true, I guess my argument is void since I'm using a dedicated TV server and could just put the client on that.

network tuner.. http://www.silicondust.com although i heard that miracast was buggy in it's present state. however i checked the miracast website and samsung, lg, philips, sony, sharp, toshiba all have miracast tvs. also listed was wdtv, and lots of routers.

Yeah, I guess that's the problem with open standards instead of proprietary stuff like AirPlay, getting it to work as intended isn't as easy, hopefully with it built into Windows and support from the major OEMs you mention it'll get better over time.

But since this is a thread about Chromecast I'll stop my little hijack at this point.

Last edited:

JoeSmith

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    having a mp server and being able to use a chromecast client (35$ !!) would be a killer feature. If it would be possible to connect over the net to i.e. give my parents a chromecast and enable them to use my mp backend to watch videos -> amazing ;-)

ibmonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    But i think Chromecast is use always the Cloud

Anything that acts like a webserver can be used to cast videos from.

Here's a new video. A chrome extension, that is a basic webserver where you can select a local video and cast it directly.
    https://plus.google.com/110558071969009568835/posts/5fWK26rqitc

That particular developer has shown a variety of ways to get videos to display, not just from the cloud. All exciting stuff! Just wondering when I can get my hands on one (in the UK) and also how quickly MP devs can get things moving ;)

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just wondering when I can get my hands on one (in the UK) and also how quickly MP devs can get things moving ;)
    As soon as I get my hands on one it shouldn't take too long. No luck yet though, Google isn't very enthusiastic about selling stuff to non-US people (I'm from the Netherlands).

If someone has one to spare and is interested in having MPExtended support it, contact me :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom