Chromecast (1 Viewer)

gekas

Portal Member
January 20, 2008
As soon as I get my hands on one it shouldn't take too long. No luck yet though, Google isn't very enthusiastic about selling stuff to non-US people (I'm from the Netherlands).:p
I guess unfortunately a lot of us are in the same boat.
In the meantime, leapcast might be worth a look though.

gekas

Portal Member
January 20, 2008

ibmonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Cheapcast and Leapcast could be good place to start testing. Well, that's if they are released before Chromecasts are widely available

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This is quite interesting

Cyanogenmod Rom + Ampdroid, might be able to cast to your Chromecast TV without any modification.

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Guys,

Is this not doing exactly the same as UpnP does? In that case you can use that plugin: Click!

That is working like a charm for me.. Streaming music, photo and video right to your television, and control them with your normal remote control.

gekas

Portal Member
    January 20, 2008
    Is this not doing exactly the same as UpnP does? In that case you can use that plugin: Click
    Yes, except it doesn´t need an UPnP-Server or anything like that. Basically it can stream anything the Chromebrowser can play, as long as it is accessibly by an URL (local or web). Plus Netflix and more services in the future.

I see two interesting things here:
    • make MP able to stream to a Chromecast device (via MPExtended)
      this would open MP content for any Chromecast dongle (read: a MP client for 35 bucks), plus a whole lot more devices (e.g. "any" Android device with CheapCast (beta) released today)
    • make MP able to act as a Chromecast receiver
      this would enable users to send "any" content to MP, any YT video, any media locally stored on an device (see Koushs example for CM), any media accessible from a device (see Bubble UPnP upcoming ability to send to Chromecast)

ibmonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    • make MP able to stream to a Chromecast device (via MPExtended)
      this would open MP content for any Chromecast dongle (read: a MP client for 35 bucks), plus a whole lot more devices (e.g. "any" Android device with CheapCast (beta) released today)

I wonder if it worth looking into the android mini dongles, and run cheapcast on it. Does anyone have one to test cheapcast on?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom