[fixed] Client : Connetion to server problem with multiple network interfaces (1 Viewer)

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Sometime, if I close the client and restart it again, the server says the client is connected, but the client does act as if it is not connected.

Sometime it's the server that says the client is not connected but the client works well in this case...

It seems to be related to IP V4/V6 changing but I can be wrong.

It act like this for a long time, maybe since I test MP2 for the first time, but now it starts (just starts don't worry) to annoy me :p

If someone can double check/fix ? :D

Cheers.

Attachments

• client_bad_connexion.JPG
      client_bad_connexion.JPG
      44.9 KB

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Client : Connetion to server problem

I already noticed the same =) Especially if you first run the client and than the server =)

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Can you both please try the following and tell me, what happens:

If you have the situation that both client and server are running and client thinks it is not connected, just wait some minutes and see, if the client changes its state. If that works, it could be just a problem with the UPnP protocol; UPnP uses UDP packets to update the other network participants states. If UDP messages get lost (maybe because of heavy network traffic), the client could miss the server's online advertisement.

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Re: AW: Client : Connetion to server problem

just wait some minutes and see, if the client changes its state.

In the case, the picture was took after waiting 10 minutes, and the logs at the same time.

I can wait more, but I'm not sure a standard user can be so patient ;)

FreakyJ what about you ?

Cheers.

Smeulf.

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Sorry, I currently can't reproduce the issue anymore... I will try it to wait a longer period of time if the error should appear again...

Maybe the reason is that I deleted the MP Client settings folder a few days ago, but not the server settings folder... Don't know whether that was the reason or not, but maybe you could try that Smeulf?

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France

Maybe the reason is that I deleted the MP Client settings folder a few days ago, but not the server settings folder... Don't know whether that was the reason or not, but maybe you could try that Smeulf?

I did not deleted anything before testing. It can be reproduce here about 1 time of 10, just by closing the client and starting it again.

Btw, I may have an another idea, I'll check and keep you posted.
    [Edit] Wrong way, no more idea...

Cheers.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Client / Server connection and file transfer is also very unreliable for me too :(

Connection to server only works when client runs first and then the server starts. Server doesn't recognize when client disconnects.

Starting Videoplayback takes seconds, bevor the http background transfer even starts (and won't really finish). IMHO there's still a lot to do :sorry:

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

The client/server connection works quite well here, so I'm happy for reproducable test cases where it doesn't work. I just talked to Smeulf and he told me that he sometimes tests with two clients running at once. If that is the case, both clients use the same client credentials and thus, if one of them is closed, the other one is also disconnected because the server only supports one single client session.

Edit: Off course, the MP2 server supports multiple clients. But only one client per computer.

The background file transfer is an absolutely different thing. I know that for large files, it takes some time until the transfer starts; that's because windows takes a long time to allocate the raw file before the file data can be written to the cache; I think I'll rework it and don't use a real cache file, I'll use a smaller memory buffer.

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France

The client/server connection works quite well here, so I'm happy for reproducable test cases where it doesn't work. I just talked to Smeulf and he told me that he sometimes tests with two clients running at once. If that is the case, both clients use the same client credentials and thus, if one of them is closed, the other one is also disconnected because the server only supports one single client session.

I can assure you the problem occurs even if the first client is completely closed.

Test protocol using a scripting tool :

launch MP2-Client, wait at least 30 seconds (checking if server connects close the script if client does not connect)
    close the window (not the process, simulate click on the window close button)
    wait for the process to close completely (visual checking of the process closing)
    wait 15 seconds after the process is closed
    loop...

Now it's 5 minutes since the client started, and I'm sure it won't connect. Logs joined.

Cheers.

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I cannot reproduce the issue via LAN.

Server is started at my HTPC
    Client started at my development laptop, both connected via 1Gb/s network router.

Server started first, continues running during the test.
    Client was started, finds server at once.
    Client was closed.
    Client was started again about 8 sec later, finds the server at once.
    Client was closed.
    Tried about 4 times, no problems.

Smeulf and Morpheus, did you use LAN or WLAN? It seems to me that when using WLAN (especially 54 MBit), UPnP UDP packets are lost sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom