Continuity error - Scheduled recording doesn't stop (1 Viewer)

razr

Portal Member
September 29, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I just started using MediPortal so forgive me for my limited knowledge on the product. I have 3 tuners configured on a Windows 8 Pro server (2 ATSC UB435-Q V2 Digital tuners and 1 Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC tuner). All of my TV comes from OTA but over the past week I have been getting recordings that are not stopping as scheduled and going until I do a Taskkill Force on the TvService.exe. When looking at the current state of the recording in Titan it shows a schedule of 8:00am to 8:00am but this is not what is programmed, what is programmed is 8:00am to 8:30am. I am seeing continuity errors in the log with a statement of bad signal but the files plays fine (even if it is 5-8 hours long and the signal stated in the log is good).

My specs are
- Windows 8 Pro 64bit
- Intel Core Duo E6850
- 4 GB Ram
- 500 GB SATA boot/timeshift/TV recordings

I have also attached the logs which show the error for the time frame discussed (yes, I have a little one that likes PBS. :))

Thanks!

razr

Portal Member
September 29, 2012
Home Country
Thanks, I disabled both but since this is a random error and not something that I can reproduce, I will let it run and hopefully this resolves it.

Thanks again!

lewiskingy

Portal Member
November 4, 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi

Very interested in this thread. I had similar issues and have had some success by changing the service account for the TV service. Needs more testing...

I'm a relatively new user and have installed MP 1.5 in a multi site setup. I have the full install acting as TV server mostly running on windows 8. I have a client installed on windows 7 in my main room as my media centre.

I began experiencing the same issue described here with all recordings. As a test today I set three programmes to record, each about 30 minutes apart. When I returned after work, the first was still going and neither of the others was recorded.

I read this and a few other posts. I got the idea there could be a rights issue with the TV service. Maybe introduced in windows 8? Changing the service to run for my own account has proved successful this evening with a few tests and other schedules recording okay... I'll keep an eye out and let you know.

A workaround at present I know.[DOUBLEPOST=1383604902][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh BTW... I'm using WebEPG with no DVB grab enabled. Integrated TV service and scheduler too. (Not FTR or anything.)

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Welcome, and thanks for the feedback lewiskingy (y)
    I'd be interested to take a peek at the log files if you're able to grab them:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._Non_Reproducible_Problems_within_MediaPortal

The watchdog tool grabs log files for the TV Server component as well when MP and TV Server are installed on the same machine. So, if you run the watchdog with option 3 on the full (W8) install it should grab the info that I'd be interested in. :)

razr

Portal Member
    September 29, 2012
    Home Country
    I also noticed that it depends how you set the recording. If I remember correctly, if I set "Record every time on this channel" the schedule in the TV Configuration shows a blank entry causing a continuous recording session. Also, I will need to try the approach on the service account as I have 3 tuners and sometimes I miss a recording if all 3 are needed at once.

lewiskingy

Portal Member
    November 4, 2013
    Home Country
    Brief update on my testing. Workaround in place has worked for a few days. Reverted my account to System tonight. Started recording something (already started) and it stopped. I've set a couple more things to record. Will see if the error returns and, if so, post logs.

One thing I did wonder. The default installation sets the service to run for System and enables the option "Allow service to interact with the desktop". I wondered if this was valid. I've seen issues in the past where a service or component running "interactively" raises a modal dialog on error which isn't seen and never clears... This seems unlikely but thought I'd ask.

Will return once I get this problem recreated...

lewiskingy

Portal Member
    November 4, 2013
    Home Country
    Problem has repeated since reverting to default "System" logon with "Allow service to interact with desktop" set.

Last week, it recorded Homeland for about 22 hours. Tonight, the recording continued for 30 minutes after program ended. Selecting to stop the recording hung the MP client. I attach logs collected on the TV Server installation.

I attempted to stop the service after collecting logs. As on previous occassions, the service doesn't stop and needs a pretty determined kill or a machine reboot.

I will now change my TV Service to run for my own login account. Again, will post if the problem returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom