Corrupt EPG after addition of Freeview HD (1 Viewer)

Branksome

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2012
    Bournemouth
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

Yesterday, my area of the UK finally fully cut over to digital and for the first time I had the HD channels from Freeview. I already have these channels from satellite. I combined the HD terrestrial with the satellite versions.

To my horror, a few hours later the HD section of the epg had become corrupt with hieroglyphics. After a further couple of hours the corruption had spread to most of the epg. The only uncorrupted entries were for those satellite channels not linked to terrestrial channels

Even the channel names have become corrupt. My epg now bears more than a casual resemblance to the Rosetta Stone
    Help! Thanks

Branksome

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2012
    Bournemouth
    Home Country
    Thank you Vasilich

I followed the instructions to install the fix . I extracted the file. I stopped the TV service. I wasn't able to deregister the existing file but copied the new one anyway into the MP Server folder replacing the previous file of the same name. I then restarted TV Service. Because I couldn't unregister/register the file I restarted the computer which I figured would do the trick

I then opened MP Server and set a refresh of the epg from the satellite card. All went well and for a good few hours I had a clean EPG

But now suddenly the HD section of the epg has become corrupted again with the hieroglyphics.

I have double checked that the file TSWriter.ax dated 22 March is in the MP Server folder

But presumably I have missed something

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Because I couldn't unregister/register the file I restarted the computer which I figured would do the trick

Not necessarily. I would try deregistering/reregistering the file (did you get an error message before?) and then start the TV Service and then in the 'manual control' section, hit 'refresh EPG'. Note that this will temporarily erase everything in the EPG so be careful if you have recordings scheduled.

Edit: I have double-checked here, and it is working fine.

Mark

Branksome

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2012
    Bournemouth
    Home Country
    could you post your log

Sebastiii -Thanks Log attached for yesterday. I have edited the file to begin at the time the machine was switched on in the afternoon. During that time I would have attempted to install the fix and refreshed the epg. Somewhen between 8 and 9pm I discovered the HD section of the epg was becoming corrupt. I started a refresh of the epg as I had a couple of recordings coming up at 9pm. These recordings were done but the epg hadn't properly refreshed in that time

Not necessarily. I would try deregistering/reregistering the file (did you get an error message before?) and then start the TV Service and then in the 'manual control' section, hit 'refresh EPG'. Note that this will temporarily erase everything in the EPG so be careful if you have recordings scheduled.

elliottmc: Thanks The error message I got was along the lines of "The module TsWriter failed to load" which seems surprising as I was trying to unregister the file. I blindly copied the unregister command from the web site. Thinking about it, should I have added a path?

Bearing in mind I have rebooted twice since then and the old file is no longer there, is it still worth doing?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country

elliottmc: Thanks The error message I got was along the lines of "The module TsWriter failed to load" which seems surprising as I was trying to unregister the file. I blindly copied the unregister command from the web site. Thinking about it, should I have added a path?

Bearing in mind I have rebooted twice since then and the old file is no longer there, is it still worth doing?

Definitely. You should change directory to the folder containing the TsWriter.ax file first (or add the path to the command).

Your logs have a lot of

Code:
    22-03-2012 15:55:55.802 PMT Pid wasn't found on the PAT. Channel may have moved, try a new channel scan.

and

Code:
    22-03-2012 16:42:59.219 pmtgrabber: serviceid mismatch f0c != f0b

The first thing I would recommend is a complete uninstall and reinstall, so you start with a fresh TV database. I know that this is a pain, and you might be able to simply delete all TV channels and rescan.

Don't combine DVB-T and DVB-S channels at first - see if it works okay. Then try combining them and see if this is the problem.

Mark

Branksome

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2012
    Bournemouth
    Home Country
    Definitely. You should change directory to the folder containing the TsWriter.ax file first (or add the path to the command).

Thanks Mark. I have done that and the commands were accepted this time. Although my hopes remain low

The first thing I would recommend is a complete uninstall and reinstall, so you start with a fresh TV database. I know that this is a pain, and you might be able to simply delete all TV channels and rescan

I am sure that is a sensible thing to do. I may see if I can hold out until later in April when there is yet a 3rd re-organisation of the Rowridge frequencies. Of course I will have to remember to add the fix

In the meantime, is there no way I can tell the system not to grab epg data from my T2 card? The epg from the S2 and T1 card should give me everything I need without the problem of the epg data on the freeview HD channels

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom