Custom Data Grabber with Sky EPG Grabber for 1.16 onwards (2 Viewers)

Adam86

Portal Pro
April 19, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Benoire, thanks for your input, I think by the sounds of it TVHeadend is worth looking into and the future of the Custom Data Grabber does seem to be quite bleak. I have a couple of spare machines that I can do some testing on.

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I would say so. Even if DJBlu was still here to work on it, I probably would have moved anyway to get down to smaller frontend units.. Android TV has plex, youtube, netflix etc. all from a single remote and interface.

You could try doing a tvh install on a seperate machine with linux and then run kodi on the windows machine to test out both the interface without screwing up your main usage; Kodi has its quirks but its fully remap-able for remotes and it does well enough now... I just find the inability to change the EPG display timeframes awkward as it can make 30 minute shows harder to read.

richardc1983

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Someone on the Kodi forums has done a beta kodi / TVH plugin that has series link enabled. I'm finding out how far along it is and wether the TVH changes have been merged yet as having this in the frontend software would give almost the same as this, but without the automatic grouping.

When you say grouping do you mean channel numbers would not be present so if I say set a favorite group with list of channels I watch the most as I do now these would be lost if channel frequencies change etc.

richardc1983

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    I would say so. Even if DJBlu was still here to work on it, I probably would have moved anyway to get down to smaller frontend units.. Android TV has plex, youtube, netflix etc. all from a single remote and interface.

You could try doing a tvh install on a seperate machine with linux and then run kodi on the windows machine to test out both the interface without screwing up your main usage; Kodi has its quirks but its fully remap-able for remotes and it does well enough now... I just find the inability to change the EPG display timeframes awkward as it can make 30 minute shows harder to read.

We was looking at kodi a whole back to be fair as a replacement for mp which is a massive shame but there is just no development anymore of mp for anyone who uses a satellite dish. I love mp.

We was still using MediaPortal TV server as the background though.

AlunS

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2011
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    We was looking at kodi a whole back to be fair as a replacement for mp which is a massive shame but there is just no development anymore of mp for anyone who uses a satellite dish. I love mp.
    I agree. The core functionality is still being developed, but plugin development seems a bit hit and miss, with developers suddenly disappearing and abandoning them, or simply not being updated for new versions or skins. If you rely on such plugins for your specific situation then you're kind of stuck.

Adam86

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2012
    Home Country

Benoire, does TVHeadend also provide Series Link functionality for Freeview tuners or does Freeview lack the CIRD that you mention?

Cheers

richardc1983

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    I agree. The core functionality is still being developed, but plugin development seems a bit hit and miss, with developers suddenly disappearing and abandoning them, or simply not being updated for new versions or skins. If you rely on such plugins for your specific situation then you're kind of stuck.

Yeah and it's pretty pointless is MediaPortal without the plugins and I for one would be happy to donate to MediaPortal plugin development if it meant we didn't have to find alternative solutions.

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Benoire, does TVHeadend also provide Series Link functionality for Freeview tuners or does Freeview lack the CIRD that you mention?

Cheers
    as long as freeview trasmits CRID then it should be fine, TVH is produced by a few people from europe including UK, and I believe it works for Freesat/freeview UK. best way to check is to ask their forums.

richardc1983

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    as long as freeview trasmits CRID then it should be fine, TVH is produced by a few people from europe including UK, and I believe it works for Freesat/freeview UK. best way to check is to ask their forums.

It's a shame it doesn't run in windows like media portal especially if using the computer for other things.

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If you have USB tuners, or a Sat>IP tuner then you could probably run it in virtualbox etc. on windows itself. It requires very little resources itself, I was running it in a virtual machine with only 256mb of ram on ubuntu server 16.04.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom