Custom Data Grabber with Sky EPG Grabber for 1.16 onwards (1 Viewer)

richardc1983

Portal Pro
October 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Am I right in thinking TVHeadend only runs on Linux, and not Windows? If so, I'd likely be hung, drawn and quartered by SWMBO while I spent days, or probably weeks, messing around getting that working from scratch. I guess I'll have to resort to the Freesat EPG and timers instead of a proper series link for the time being while I search for another solution unless the plugin can be fixed somehow in the meantime.

What still confuses me is how EPGCollector is still working and the plugin is not. Is it something to do with the way the stream is tuned in MP that's different to how it's done in EPGCollector?

With freesat epg are the channels numbered properly?

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, linux only. I'm on a server/client config so I updated the server to linux/TVH and then the client on Windows to Kodi originally. Spent some time tweaking kodi and to be honest, its come on a long way... It is still not as good as MP from a TV perspective, but it works fine and my partner adapted to it ok.

You can do an all in one, like MP using TVH and Kodi but the interface will be different to windows if you use a desktop version of Linux.

AlunS

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2011
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    I don't know. I don't actually use the grouping feature of the plugin to be honest, and don't display or use channel numbers at all, just the series link and handling channel changes etc.

Series link is the big one for this household though.

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    EPGCollector was built from the ground up and followed the published DVB specifications properly. As a result it uses the correct offsets in stream to find the data and parses this rather than what DJBlu did and counted the bytes... As a result, as long as a stream is DVB compliant EPGC will always do it correctly, but DJBlus code may not find it correctly if the sequence changes or the stream includes other 'stuff' that he didn't program for.

Adam86

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2012
    Home Country

Freesat EPG will only pull down the EPG, it doesn't retrieve any channel numbers or anything else.

The Custom Data Grabber is what does all the magic.

Once channels start moving across to different frequencies, and if no resolution is found for the data grabber then a rescan will need doing the traditional way in TV Server Configuration which will cause all channel numbers to be lost.

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Someone on the Kodi forums has done a beta kodi / TVH plugin that has series link enabled. I'm finding out how far along it is and wether the TVH changes have been merged yet as having this in the frontend software would give almost the same as this, but without the automatic grouping.

AlunS

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2011
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    You can do an all in one, like MP using TVH and Kodi but the interface will be different to windows if you use a desktop version of Linux.
    I'm running a single seat setup here, and only have the one machine available, so the problem would be the lead time between installing it and getting it all working perfectly. I could try something out on a VM on my desktop I suppose to get a feel for it first.

AlunS

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2011
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Someone on the Kodi forums has done a beta kodi / TVH plugin that has series link enabled. I'm finding out how far along it is and wether the TVH changes have been merged yet as having this in the frontend software would give almost the same as this, but without the automatic grouping.
    That's interesting all right.

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Of note that I think is interesting., for me the channels changes on my network config are even quicker than the official Sky NZ box; very very quick and mine goes:

Sat>IP Server > Ethernet cable > Unifi 24 port switch > Ethernet cable > Xpenology NAS with TVH package > ethernet cable > UniFi Switch > Android TV (Mi Box 4K)

this is superb and much better than other solutions.

richardc1983

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    EPGCollector was built from the ground up and followed the published DVB specifications properly. As a result it uses the correct offsets in stream to find the data and parses this rather than what DJBlu did and counted the bytes... As a result, as long as a stream is DVB compliant EPGC will always do it correctly, but DJBlus code may not find it correctly if the sequence changes or the stream includes other 'stuff' that he didn't program for.

I was thinking epgcollector was the solution until Adam86 posted about losing the channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom