Custom Data Grabber with Sky EPG Grabber for 1.16 onwards (1 Viewer)

richardc1983

Portal Pro
October 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've no idea. I just noticed this morning that there were a few gaps in my EPG, so went into TV Server Configuration to do a manual update as that usually fixes it and that was when I got the error message. The scheduled update on 31/12/2017 worked perfectly, so something has changed this morning.

View attachment 195066

On this screen it shows the EPG Background Audio stream as "1 - Not Running", all the others have a status of "4 - Running".

Unsure what could have changed within the plugin as there has been no update to it. This seems to be an issue at sky's end maybe?

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Are you referring to Sky UK or NZ? I'm not using the custom data grabber although I have considered it as I do watch Sky on MP. I use EPG Background Audio to retrieve the EPG using the standard TV Server and it's working fine. I have 8 days of EPG as of today Jan 2nd.

Adam86

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Are you referring to Sky UK or NZ? I'm not using the custom data grabber although I have considered it as I do watch Sky on MP. I use EPG Background Audio to retrieve the EPG using the standard TV Server and it's working fine. I have 8 days of EPG as of today Jan 2nd.

We are referring to SKY UK/Ireland.

If we don't use the Custom Data Grabber builds but instead use the FreeSat EPG, then we would get no proper channel numbering (every channel would just be set to number 10000) and lots of duplicated channel numbers. As well as the loss of the series link functionality. Given that there are probably around 1100 channels that would need sifting through, this is a lot of manual work to configure up something alike. The Data Grabber cuts that setup down to approx 5 minutes work and is generally a setup that maintains itself but can sometimes on occassion stop working thus requiring setting up again but given the short config time, it isn't a massive problem.

The Data Grabber gives us proper channel numbering, Sky's Channel Categories, removes most duplicated channels and Series Link functionality like on a Sky box.

I've no idea. I just noticed this morning that there were a few gaps in my EPG, so went into TV Server Configuration to do a manual update as that usually fixes it and that was when I got the error message. The scheduled update on 31/12/2017 worked perfectly, so something has changed this morning.

View attachment 195066

On this screen it shows the EPG Background Audio stream as "1 - Not Running", all the others have a status of "4 - Running".

Alun, I don't suppose you'd be able to upload a small TS capture of the changed data would you and put it on here in the hope that possibly @Brownard, @Benoire or @mm1352000 may know if it is possible to fix this, but it could be a long shot given the plugin was made by @DJBlu and I don't think he has been around on here for years.

Cheers

Last edited:

AlunS

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2011
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Alun, I don't suppose you'd be able to upload a small TS capture of the changed data would you and put it on here in the hope that possibly @Brownard, @Benoire or @mm1352000 may know if it is possible to fix this, but it could be a long shot given the plugin was made by @DJBlu and I don't think he has been around on here for years.
    Cheers
    Here you go, a 15 second TS capture, zipped because the forum s/w won't accept a .ts file as is ...

Attachments

• Freesat 11778 V 01-02 10-05-36.zip
      47 MB

richardc1983

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Really hoping that @Brownard @Benoire or @mm1352000 are able to help. Would be a shame for the tuner cards which I had spent a lot of money on to be now made redundant meaning we have to switch over to freeview tuners.

As I know most of us have said previously we would be more than happy to pay for development of this.

Thank you in advance.

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Jasmeet is correct, the plugin for NZ wouldn't work any more and the code was all over the place using fixed byte positions rather than dynamically working out where the actual start position was that I was unable to fix with my rudimentary skills. If someone was able to port the EPGCollector code to a C# converted version then it would work well I think.

I also moved as I'm using Android TV frontends now and there is a live channels plugin for TVH that integrates directly so I get a single, low powered, easy to use interface. I've killed my dev environment now so don't have anything setup.

richardc1983

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Jasmeet is correct, the plugin for NZ wouldn't work any more and the code was all over the place using fixed byte positions rather than dynamically working out where the actual start position was that I was unable to fix with my rudimentary skills. If someone was able to port the EPGCollector code to a C# converted version then it would work well I think.

I also moved as I'm using Android TV frontends now and there is a live channels plugin for TVH that integrates directly so I get a single, low powered, easy to use interface. I've killed my dev environment now so don't have anything setup.

Hi Benoire

Thanks for responding. Is your alternative a good replacement for getting free sat or skys free to air channels? Any series link etc?

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I use Tvheadend on my Synology NAS as a package, connected to a Sat>IP server. This then does OpenTV on the sky channels including checking for updated channels, muxes etc; it just doesn't do the groups as its independent to the frontend. It will do series link, although it appears that it only works from the web interface; so you can set a timer from the frontend and then later on go in and make it into a series link (uses the CIRD which is how Sky etc. do it). I'm asking the developer of the android TV client to add this as an option (e.g. series link or guide based recording) as that would solve the problem. The Kodi addon could be updated to offer this option as well if someone could be bothered.

All in all, TVH now suits my needs better than it did in the past with lightning quick changes, decent recordings and I don't need a seperate server as I can run it on my NAS. If you don't have an xpenology/synology nas then you can just install it on linux with the cards installed and either run an all in one with Kodi front end or separate clients like I do.

AlunS

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2011
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Am I right in thinking TVHeadend only runs on Linux, and not Windows? If so, I'd likely be hung, drawn and quartered by SWMBO while I spent days, or probably weeks, messing around getting that working from scratch. I guess I'll have to resort to the Freesat EPG and timers instead of a proper series link for the time being while I search for another solution unless the plugin can be fixed somehow in the meantime.

What still confuses me is how EPGCollector is still working and the plugin is not. Is it something to do with the way the stream is tuned in MP that's different to how it's done in EPGCollector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom