Database: Refactor MP1 database for multi seat usage (4 Viewers)

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    For me it’s vice versa, I found >20 fundamental issues in 1 hour of MP1 usage. Hardcoded design elements, that are just empty without function, if the plugins are not installed (MP2 knows which plugins installed and all elements for non existent plugins are invisible). The player controls show buttons, even the function is not given. MP2 shows only buttons that also can be used. …
    Some skins have color elements that are painful (orange with blue etc., in my company there is even a guideline not allowing such combinations) and totally overloaded with information. It seemed a designer tried to squeeze infos into every free space. Ares was the only skin, that looked for me ok, but had other issues. Anyway, I don’t want to start a bashing against MP1 here. It’s just to explain my experience. Im very happy with MP2. It works stable on 3 clients.

There is a loop scrolling setting, which allows loop scrolling in almost all screens. But I think you’re right, in the main EPG it’s not possible. I think it’s because you can otherwise not reach some elements placed above the EPG. But this can be also easily changed. Change LoopScrolling=“False” to “True” in the xaml file of the EPG screen :)

MP2 offers user management and if activated all settings are shared. I can start watching my movie in the kitchen and if I log in in the bed room with my user I can resume it there.

Agree, but in the end it depends also very much on the video length. For episodes and short movies 90% might be better, for longer movies probably 95%. In the end it can be configured for MP1 and MP2, so I’m fine :)
    I am not trying to persuade anyone to stop using MP2. I was just explaining why I don't use it and why I am using MP1 and the reason why I refactored the product for my use.

I can understand why people would be attracted to MP2 (as a long-term user of WMC myself before Microsoft dropped support for it).

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    I tried installing once more, but this time I first stopped TV Server, deleted the existing databases, and then opened a command window with administrator privileges and ran the BAT file from that. This worked without error.
    I haven't needed to do anything with the TV Server when overwriting the installation with the refactored version (with the exception of MPTray). It should install the refactored without doing anything else at all. But, you must ensure that the databases are of the latest version. In future, you shouldn't need to worry about new database versions (unless I have to make any database changes, of course) :) .

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    I've posted MP1 1.29.014 in the first post of this thread.

You should find that this now handles radio recordings in the same way as videos are handled; i.e. the resume processing is now active for radio recordings. I haven't removed the update to the SQL Server database because I don't want to touch the TV Service code unless I absolutely have to.

Enjoy.

Tony

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Are you installing this on a separate machine (VPN)?
    No, it is a copy of my production partition on the same machine.

copy the new files over that installation by running RefactorMediaPortal.bat as administrator.
    I checked this morning that the new DLLs were present in the MP folder, so the executables had been updated successfully yesterday.

the video database is called VideoDatabaseV6.db3 and the music database should be MusicDatabaseV15.db3
    These were the DB versions present (from my tests yesterday). I deleted them this morning and started "MP Config". MP Config showed the new start-up setting (so I was invoking the new version), and on exit, the new databases were created again. However, on entry to the a folder in the "Videos" section, MP once again showed the spinning dial.

If you have autostart MPTray running in the toolbar then you should close it first because this version upgrades Utils.dll and MPTray locks this DLL.
    I use the Ortek/Hama remote control, which does not use "MpTray" to start MP from the Windows desktop. I use AutoHotKey to intercept the relevant keystroke and start MP in response. From previous experience, I believe that it is necessary to stop TV Server in order to update DLLs which TV Server is using (Windows locks them, I think?). I don't know which DLLs are used by TV Server.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    I use the Ortek/Hama remote control, which does not use "MpTray" to start MP from the Windows desktop. I use AutoHotKey to intercept the relevant keystroke and start MP in response. From previous experience, I believe that it is necessary to stop TV Server in order to update DLLs which TV Server is using (Windows locks them, I think?). I don't know which DLLs are used by TV Server.
    Yes. I can confirm that you shouldn't need to do anything special before installing the refactored version of MP1.

No, it is a copy of my production partition on the same machine.
    I asked about how you are installing this because I haven't tried running two versions of MP1 on the same machine. I guess it should work but you're being brave :). The refactored version doesn't do anything with the TV Service - so the TV Service should be safe.

It certainly sounds like you have the right databases, but, to be sure, would you please delete all of the client databases. (you don't need to reinstall the code). Now run the GUI . Would you please use the SQLite tool, or any other tool, to check that the VideoDatabaseV6 tables look like this.

1645007687074.png

Would you please confirm that you are seeing the same tables?

I have just tested using the same BAT file to install the version on one of my machines and I am not having any problems.

I am just about to update the 014 version in the first post. Please wait till you see a very recent version and then try that. It has the fix to Radio processing and has another change to the Fanart Statistics code.

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    I checked this morning that the new DLLs were present in the MP folder, so the executables had been updated successfully yesterday.
    Would you please check that your MediaPortal.exe.config looks like this:

1645008634616.png

I am wondering whether the config file is still pointing to the other version you have installed?

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Just so you know, the connection strings above, and the DBFactories section, shouldn't affect your other version because they are only used by Entity Framework - which is what the new version uses to access the client databases.

But the refactored version cannot work without those entries being present in both MediaPortal.exe.config and Configuration.exe.config.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I haven't tried running two versions of MP1 on the same machine. I guess it should work but you're being brave :).
    Sorry, I did not make this clear. I use the "Bootit Bare Metal" boot manager to maintain multiple primary partitions on my HTPC. Each of these partitions hosts a separate copy of the OS and (usually) a different version of MP. Each OS partition sees only the data partitions in the HTPC -- the other OS partitions are hidden from the booted OS partition. The test partition is a copy of my MP 1.29 production partition.

please delete all of the client databases. (you don't need to reinstall the code). Now run the GUI . Would you please use the SQLite tool, or any other tool, to check that the VideoDatabaseV6 tables look like this.
    OK, I will try this and report back (probably tomorrow).

I've loaded the latest version by updating 014.
    I will download this version and perform further testing using that. (y)

Would you please check that your MediaPortal.exe.config looks like this:
    I will check this after I have installed the new version.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom