Database: Refactor MP1 database for multi seat usage (5 Viewers)

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    @Anthony :
    What I found sometimes is because if DEV machine, we install all DEV environnement.
    And, what we make is working on this PC.
    Therefore, pushing all files (.DLL, .exe, ....) in another PC without DEV environnement doesn't work.
    That why, if you can, maybe installing your change in MP 1.29 "production" machine could help to see if it works or not.

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Unfortunately we are still experiencing headwinds. :(
    Articles I have been reading seem to suggest that .NET Framework 4.5 should be loaded for Entity Framework.

As it happens, I use 4.8 for my other software so all of my machines have the latest .NET frameworks.

I suspect this is the root of the issue and maybe it's a good thing that this came up now if that is the case.

Anyway, it would be good to know what .NET Framework you have installed.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Are you using a centralized configuration (i.e. do you have MediaPortalDirs.xml in the users/documents folder)? Does MediaPortalDirs.xml contain what you would normally expect?
    I have never modified "MediaPortalDirs.xml", so I am using the default file in the default location.

I wonder whether the fact that you are using dual-boot is affecting what the path would be. It's a stretch ... Do you have a machine available that you could use as a test machine that boots straight into Windows?
    The Bootit boot manager would not have caused this, as it hides completely the other operating-system partitions so that the booted partition cannot see them. Unfortunately, I use Bootit on all of my systems.

are you installing any extensions?
    The only extensions that are installed are the ones that are included in the install package.

My Windows 7 machine has .NET Framework 4.8 and 4 Multi-targeting pack.
    My production system has .NET 4.8 (see screen shot). This is all that is needed for MP 1.29, but perhaps the database changes introduce a new dependency?

installed_programs.jpg

I tried searching for the error message, and found these two pages (among others) where the authors had similar problems:

I don't know whether these apply to this case.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    I don't know whether these apply to this case.
    Yes, I already had a look at those. The thing is that I use EF with SQLite all over the place and have got the configuration working with other commercial organizations as well.

My production system has .NET 4.8 (see screen shot). This is all that is needed for MP 1.29, but perhaps the database changes introduce a new dependency?
    You seem to have everything setup correctly - which is what I would have expected anyway :) .

On my Windows 7 machine, I have uninstalled all of the .NET Frameworks to force the MP install to install its minimum requirements. Everything ran exactly as expected with .NET 4.5 installed.

So I don't think it's to do with the .NET Frameworks. Yet something is interfering with the access to the databases.

Would you please send me a copy of your MediaPortalDirs.xml file?

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    What I found sometimes is because if DEV machine, we install all DEV environnement.
    And, what we make is working on this PC.
    Therefore, pushing all files (.DLL, .exe, ....) in another PC without DEV environnement doesn't work.
    That why, if you can, maybe installing your change in MP 1.29 "production" machine could help to see if it works or not.
    I have run the procedure of installing MP 1.29, applying the BAT file in the refactor zip file, removing old database files, and then running MP, on six machines; four of which are production machines, one machine with Windows 7 installed and a development machine that I use to develop all of my code.

I have been running the refactored version of MP in a production environment for about seven months :) . It has proven to be stable for me; and that is with up to four client machines running simultaneously against one set of client databases (because the whole point of my changes were to produce a multi-user version of MP1).

I think I have proven that the system works. However, that is not to say that we won't hit set-ups that do not adhere to the norm and that is why I think it is so essential to test the refactored version thoroughly before it is rolled out.

CyberSimian's set-up seems to have hit a problem immediately and, as yet, I have no idea why his set-up doesn't run properly.

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Attached is the version from my production system. (One disadvantage of a multiboot system is that the test partition is not accessible when the HTPC is in use. :( )
    All looks standard there.

I'm out of ideas. I guess what we need is for someone with a standard set-up to give this a go to validate that the basic set-up is/or is not working.

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just tried the refactoring: Result: Every copy command was answered with "Access denied" :oops:
    Maybe because I did not stop TVServer and/or I am using MariaDB as SQL-Server ;)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Every copy command was answered with "Access denied"
    I got that the first time that I tried installing the updates. The solution: you need to Run as Administrator.

I also stopped TV Server before running the BAT file, and rebooted after. I am not sure that stopping TV Server is necessary, but it seemed to me to be a worthwhile precaution.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom