[Bug] DB address not correctly set in multi-seat installation. (1 Viewer)

karniemi

Portal Pro
November 11, 2010
Logs from my tvserver(which is a single seat installation), and both Gentle.conf files that are in the server. There's an IP, not "localhost". But as I said earlier "installed 1.2.0RC also on the server this morning and I had the problem with the client yesterday...so maybe the RC just fixed the configs on the server"

Attachments

• MediaPortalTVServerGentle.zip
    2 KB
  • MediaPortalGentle.zip
    2 KB

karniemi

Portal Pro
November 11, 2010
Hmm, I'll have to give up. I tried to reproduce it but I can't.
-I did the full uninstall. Then installed the 1.2.0RC client. Got it working, the correct IP was picked to Gentle.conf
-uninstalled again. Installed 1.2.0beta(which failed as it used to do.) Then installed 1.2.0RC over the failed 1.2.0beta installation. Got it working, the correct IP was picked to Gentle.conf
-uninstalled again. Installed 1.2.0RC in single-seat mode to this client, uninstalled the tvserver(recommended mode). Uninstalled tvclient(recommended mode). Then installed 1.2.0RC over the left-over stuff. Tried this because I remembered that I had the MediaPortal tv server folders on this client at some -I must have had this installed as single-seat at some point -and I thought it might affect the MediaPortal setup so that it does not get the DB address from the correct tv-server. Well... I still got it working, the correct IP was picked to Gentle.conf

Bugs me. The bug is there but I really can't find out what brings it up. Gotta give up before it makes me mad....:)

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
June 17, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
thats the first time ive altered the config on the tv server ever. infact until last night i did not have a key to use the correct program to alter that file. and i never manually changed the ip or hostname until now.
I never had to change the streaming server settings until now, on an older build they just worked, i entered the hostname on the client machine and it just connected no issues, until i did a complete uninstall on both machines and then installed the rc1 and suddenly i had these issues.
The upgrade does not change the gentle.config, so it was like this before you upgraded to 1.2.0 RC.

"Why" you have "localhost" in the servers gentle.conf I do not know. :confused:
The automatic installation definitly always inserts the hostname....

So right now I can only set this thread to "not reproducible". :(

Hi sorry for the delay.

I have now re instated the image i had to take me back before rc1 was released when all worked fine.
The gentle.config file was correctly set to the tv servers hostname and not `local host` as it was after the rc1 install.
So something must have altered this procedure in rc1 i presume, i have uploaded my origi file for your browsing, hope this can help in some way.

ps this was from svn build 1.1.7.28126 which worked

Attachments

• Gentle.rar
    2 KB

karniemi

Portal Pro
November 11, 2010
"after an upgrade of your tv-server, the hostname in your gentle.config is replaced with "localhost"."

-that's a nice catch! =)
-But this thread was not about the tv-server but the client? I had not touched the server yet(which was in 1.2.0beta), but installed a client with 1.2.0RC. As far as I understood, the other users in this thread also had this problem with the client only...
-And I had no problem at any point with the gentle.conf in the server. I updated it to 1.2.0RC and after that there was still the correct IP in gentle.conf, and so did the other users in this thread...

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I had not touched the server yet(which was in 1.2.0beta), but installed a client with 1.2.0RC.
    That does not make any sense then.
    Because the client ask the server for the hostname of the PC where the SQL Server is running on. And that info comes from the TV-Servers gentle.config :confused:

karniemi

Portal Pro
    November 11, 2010
    Sorry for mixing the user forum with code details, I had a look at the place where Mp tries to set DB address in gentle.conf:

WebSVN - MediaPortal - Rev 28130 - /trunk/TvEngine3/TVLibrary/TvPlugin/TvPlugin/TVHomeNavigator.cs
    ---
    public void SetupDatabaseConnection()
    {
    string connectionString, provider;
    if (!TVHome.Connected)
    {
    return;
    }

RemoteControl.Instance.GetDatabaseConnectionString(out connectionString, out provider);
    ---

Some things, I noticed:
    -no return value, so if anything fails, the caller thinks the DB is OK.
    -it's testing "TVHome.Connected" right at the start, but there would be some retry&wait logic in RemoteController.Instance, which now get's skipped...
    -RemoteController.Instance may return null, which would cause the next call fail quite seriously for using null pointer...

I'm really not even sure if I'm looking in the right place of the code =), wish I could see the bigger picture somewhere...=).

ramu

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2008
    AW: DB address not correctly set in multi-seat installation.

Hi,

we discussed this bug also in the beta version... [confirm] No database connection from client after new install? - MediaPortal Forum

Now, I clean my server and set up 1.2 RC. So I got the same problem. Perhaps it will help You, I chose the database is allready there option. I believe in former versions there was a window checking the db-connection. This windows didn't pop up! So I had to chance gente config in tv Server.

I wrote my own IP addresse and put in a password which was false. After restart of tvserver I found this dbconnection window, put in the right passwd and now everythings is fine...

ramu

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom