[Bug] DB address not correctly set in multi-seat installation. (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: AW: DB address not correctly set in multi-seat installation.

I chose the database is allready there option. I believe in former versions there was a window checking the db-connection. This windows didn't pop up! So I had to chance gente config in tv Server.
    When I do clean installs of MP or dedicated TV-Server I also choose the "DB Server already present option".
    Yet I never ran into the issue that gentle.conf suddenly has "localhost" as hostname in it.

So far only one team member ran into that issue and was unable to reproduce it.

Is there a specific reason why you use the IP rather than Hostname?

karniemi

Portal Pro
    November 11, 2010
    Is there a specific reason why you use the IP rather than Hostname?

For me:
    -at least when I started using MediaPortal, my home network could not resolve the names, because I had reduced all the network services to a minimum: off with netbios, off with all the windows network client service, off with windows file&printer sharing. I had no use for them - I wanted them disabled.
    -I'm not quite sure which one of those services is needed for resolving hostname to IP address. I don't have DNS for my home network -and I'm not sure if my Zyxel 660HW is that intelligent to resolve names to IPs...I suppose not.

But why are you asking? How would that matter for MediaPortal? And particularly this problem we are having?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    But why are you asking? How would that matter for MediaPortal?
    Because maybe the special setup (Nebios disabled, etc.) you have there is the root cause for the "localhost" issue.
    But that is just a wild guess. Developers have to look for the reason.

ramu

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2008
    AW: DB address not correctly set in multi-seat installation.

Not quite sure if there is a difference between Servername or IP. So far I thought the problem is, that in gentle.config (server) there is "localhost" so the client gets also localhost and so there is no db-connection possible.

Perhaps Youl'll try to install mp on xp and before you have set up a additioonal mysql db which do not have anything to do with mp. Perhaps there must be a stale db-connection while You setup mp...

ramu

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

Not quite sure if there is a difference between Servername or IP. So far I thought the problem is, that in gentle.config (server) there is "localhost" so the client gets also localhost and so there is no db-connection possible.
    That is correct.
    The problem here seems to be that a correctly configure gentle.conf, changes to "localhost" after the update of MP for an unknown reason.

ramu

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2008

Well, it's not only after updating MP. Because I hoped to solve my next problem (see new threat - NoPmtFound Dopple DVB-T Cards don' work) I deleted the whole installation and set up a clean MP 1.2 RC ... Same effect and perhaps reproducable...

regards ralph

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

Well, it's not only after updating MP.
    And I did not say that at all.
    This thread was about an upgrade where the host/ip got changed to "localhost" for unknown reasons.

As I said. Devs need to investigate.

karniemi

Portal Pro
    November 11, 2010
    I think this problem is minor, because it does not seem to come up each time -and it only bugs multi-seat, which is not relevant for all the MP users. Though it's quite an irritating bug... any installation problems don't give that good first impression...

Could the devs add some more trace/log to the 1.2.0 release at least, so that would help catching the problem. ...just if the devs don't have the time to look at this issue thorougly for the release. I suppose a couple of log statements, around the part I studied earlier in this thread, might give some more glue where the problem is born...?

jon1977

December 20, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,
    Just to say that I've experienced exactly the same issue here and it took a search in google to come up with this thread for the solution after many many hours spent trawling through forums.
    I was searching for "TV service failed to connect", "can not find tv service", "please specify the ip address or hostname of the master tv service".
    I had also spent a long time pinging and using manual control.
    I had done a complete removal of all files and databases on my tv server after MYSQL through a wobbler. I then did a fresh install of the TV server software and then seperatly the client software on my server PC, this worked fine, but no remote client PC's would connect.
    As per the detail in this thread, the TV server gentle.config file had local host as the server name, this needed changing to my server name.
    I also tried editing the gentle.config file on the client PC's and found that they were overritten by the version in the TV server file.
    Hopefully my search strings above will enable someone else to easily find this thread to sort this issue out, as although the problem is major, the remedy is easy if you know the answer!

PS, its a testiment to the well written software that this is my first issue and post!
    Thanks
    Jon

ramu

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2008

Hi,

unfortunately in 1.2.2 there is the same bug. I just updated to this new version. Therefor I uninstalled the previous version completely and choose new install with existing database. After the install run I couldn't use the clients, got an error message that there is no server. After checking gentle.config on server there was localhost as DB-servername in that config file???

So I altered localhost to the server-IP-address and every thing runs well.

ramu

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom