Definitive DTS-MA/DTHD HD Audio in MP thread... Let's do it! (1 Viewer)

akajester

Portal Pro
October 13, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Analog would work with xonar cards, i was able to with MPC-HC its probably true for ffdshow. just make sure ffdshow will output in 24bit as well

i believe you follow the steps on page 1 it will default to output LPCM which is jus an "unzipped" HD audio through HDMI

Also you can send bit for bit data for analog to the Renderer using WASAPI i found this post on doom9 on how to do it.
Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC) - DXVA! - Page 502 - Doom9's Forum

I should've been more specific. do you think it would work with this model of the asus xonar?
Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card

So I'd be playing an MKV file with a DTS-HD or DTS-MA track and outputting the audio via analog to a receiver using the direct 8 channel audio inputs?

Thanks!

deviantv1ral

Portal Member
October 12, 2010
it doesnt matter what your sound card is only how good the DAC is in this case a xonar is pretty good.

you can try it out remux an mkv file with just the core dts or dolby track and do a blind test with HD audio and core

just the first second you'll realize right away that its HD audio

the advantage of using HDMi is if your AVR has a better DAC and also analog outs can introduced colorations and some noise so keeping it digital as long as possible would be best. unless you got some nice cables.

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Hey guys, first off, thanks for the information. Question. as I understand it in order to get any of the HD audio types to work you need an ATI 5000 series right? I currently have an ATI 4350 with HDMI port but I'm running analog audio 7.1 with an on board realtek chipset.

Another question. Have you tried the asus xonar analog cards? just curious if those will allow analog playback of the HD audio types. or perhaps you need hdmi in order to do any of the HD audio?

thanks!

Hey akajester,
    I started off with the Asus HDAV Xonar 1.3 Slim, and it worked fine except it would not release the HD audio when you stopped the movie. I refer you to this thread -> https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-hd-truehd-pass-trough-xonar-hdav1-3-a-76344/

I have since moved over to the ATI 5750 and I have been VERY happy. I get all the hd audio formats without the hassle of restarting MP every time.

Good Luck!
    Wile E.

deviantv1ral

Portal Member
    October 12, 2010
    any help on my .ts problem? also i can't load a mkv with chapters in it, with dtshd and also another file with truehd i dont know if this one has chapters

akajester

Portal Pro
    October 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Hey guys, first off, thanks for the information. Question. as I understand it in order to get any of the HD audio types to work you need an ATI 5000 series right? I currently have an ATI 4350 with HDMI port but I'm running analog audio 7.1 with an on board realtek chipset.

Another question. Have you tried the asus xonar analog cards? just curious if those will allow analog playback of the HD audio types. or perhaps you need hdmi in order to do any of the HD audio?

thanks!

Hey akajester,
    I started off with the Asus HDAV Xonar 1.3 Slim, and it worked fine except it would not release the HD audio when you stopped the movie. I refer you to this thread -> https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-hd-truehd-pass-trough-xonar-hdav1-3-a-76344/

I have since moved over to the ATI 5750 and I have been VERY happy. I get all the hd audio formats without the hassle of restarting MP every time.

Good Luck!
    Wile E.

Thanks for the info. I'd rather get a new radeon card and do it that way. But unfortunately I need powerstrip for my crt projector and the radeon 5xxx series isn't supported in powerstrip, so I'm out of luck at this point.

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Thanks for the info. I'd rather get a new radeon card and do it that way. But unfortunately I need powerstrip for my crt projector and the radeon 5xxx series isn't supported in powerstrip, so I'm out of luck at this point.

I understand, but I wanted you to beware of the 'release' issue with the Asus HDAV (unless someone has found a way around that issue.) It was a real pain for me to close MP and restart it every time I played a movie with HD audio.

Just wanted to give you a heads up... :)

Wile E.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I seem to be unable to change audio tracks using the matroskasplitter.ax from Stand Alone Filters. Anyone else experiencing this or have a solution? All the audio tracks seem to be playing at the same time.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I've tried that, but it only opens up some other problems for me so I'd prefer to just have the splitter working.

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    I've tried that, but it only opens up some other problems for me so I'd prefer to just have the splitter working.

I agree, I tried SAF 5 on a new rebuild and none of my MKV's would play. So I ended up uninstalling SAF and following BMan's instructions for ATI5000 cards and everything is working perfect. An all in one solution would be perfect, I just cant seem to get it to work correctly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom