Delay in audio output over HDMI

Discussion in 'Other HTPC Applications' started by Ronald Robertson, February 28, 2018.

1. Ronald Robertson

Ronald Robertson Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    I know this is a frequent issue, but I've never seen a post with a resolution. Perhaps someone can help direct me.

Every HTPC build / home receiver combination I've used over the last 15 years always has the same issue that audio output doesn't kick in for about 1 second after the signal is sent to the receiver. It appears that this issue is specific to when the audio is passed to the receiver over HDMI only. For watching movies, this isn't much of an issue since once the audio switches in, it stays on, but it is an annoyance since the clicks when moving between icons and other small duration audio samples that are about 1s or less in duration never get output to the speakers at all.

I spoke with Onkyo (my current receiver is RZ-810) and they say this is a common issue with connections to PCs and that the only resolution would be a software fix and there is no receiver setting to tweak.

Does anyone have any info on how to set either Mediaportal, PC sound settings, or LAV tweak so that this doesn't happen?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Freak*96

Freak*96 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    I Also got an Onkyo AVR and the only solution to fix this annoying silent stream bug is a third party software.
    I've got the best results with sound switch v2

MEGA

At this moment there is no other way to fix this.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

4. Freak*96

Freak*96 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Double Post, sorry

Last edited: February 28, 2018
  5. Ronald Robertson

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Thank you for your response, but I can't see how this addresses the problem. I tried installing sound switch per your link and it appears to just be a mixer over the top of the windows mixer which in no way effects the sound delay problem. Am I missing something?

Thanks again.

6. Freak*96

Freak*96 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Ok let me try to explain the problem. Your sound delay is also known as the "silent stream bug".
    In easy words the Problem is that after every GUI Sound in MP (or other Programms) the Audio stream stop and the AVR lost the connection. To reconnect the AVR needs some time and this is too long for short sounds i.e. clicks.

The above SoundSwitch v2 sends an silent sound stream to the AVR so that the connection stays active and you can hear all other sounds like they should.

There are some other Apps like SPDIF keep alive, SPDIF k.a. and more that try to do the same, but for me only sondswitchv2 works well.

7. Ronald Robertson

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Thank you for your description. I'm thinking I must have set something up wrong. I'll play with it again tonight.

Thanks

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!