Delay in audio output over HDMI (1 Viewer)

Ronald Robertson

Portal Member
February 4, 2018
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I know this is a frequent issue, but I've never seen a post with a resolution. Perhaps someone can help direct me.

Every HTPC build / home receiver combination I've used over the last 15 years always has the same issue that audio output doesn't kick in for about 1 second after the signal is sent to the receiver. It appears that this issue is specific to when the audio is passed to the receiver over HDMI only. For watching movies, this isn't much of an issue since once the audio switches in, it stays on, but it is an annoyance since the clicks when moving between icons and other small duration audio samples that are about 1s or less in duration never get output to the speakers at all.

I spoke with Onkyo (my current receiver is RZ-810) and they say this is a common issue with connections to PCs and that the only resolution would be a software fix and there is no receiver setting to tweak.

Does anyone have any info on how to set either Mediaportal, PC sound settings, or LAV tweak so that this doesn't happen?

Freak*96

Portal Pro
January 24, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
I Also got an Onkyo AVR and the only solution to fix this annoying silent stream bug is a third party software.
I've got the best results with sound switch v2

MEGA

At this moment there is no other way to fix this.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

Ronald Robertson

Portal Member
February 4, 2018
Home Country
Thank you for your response, but I can't see how this addresses the problem. I tried installing sound switch per your link and it appears to just be a mixer over the top of the windows mixer which in no way effects the sound delay problem. Am I missing something?

Thanks again.

Freak*96

Portal Pro
January 24, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Ok let me try to explain the problem. Your sound delay is also known as the "silent stream bug".
In easy words the Problem is that after every GUI Sound in MP (or other Programms) the Audio stream stop and the AVR lost the connection. To reconnect the AVR needs some time and this is too long for short sounds i.e. clicks.

The above SoundSwitch v2 sends an silent sound stream to the AVR so that the connection stays active and you can hear all other sounds like they should.

There are some other Apps like SPDIF keep alive, SPDIF k.a. and more that try to do the same, but for me only sondswitchv2 works well.

Ronald Robertson

Portal Member
February 4, 2018
Home Country
Thank you for your description. I'm thinking I must have set something up wrong. I'll play with it again tonight.

Thanks

Ronald Robertson

Portal Member
February 4, 2018
Home Country
I know this an old post, but in case you're still out there I wanted to follow up again. I spent an exhaustive amount of time with Soundswitch and it appears to do literally nothing. There appears to be very few settings or customization's and it has literally no effect on the silent stream bug. Any further advice is appreciated.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Any further advice is appreciated.

I know I had the same issue when I first installed an AVR (Denon X1200W) a couple of years back. I also tried to resolve it using some 3rd party app but like you I never got it working and ended up living with it. However your post got me thinking and hey ho my navigation sounds have been working perfectly for some while. I have double checked and both on MP startup and resume from sleep all navigation sounds beep properly from first press, from reboot (with MP auto start) I have no sound at all on first press but there after everything beeps as it should.:)I really can't recall when that changed I don't think I did anything to fix it , for sure that 3rd part app is no longer installed as I did a clean Win 10 install about 6 months ago. Maybe it has been fixed with an update????:unsure:. I do fairly regularly install AMD A/V driver, Denon, Windows 10 and MP updates and currently use MP 1.20 Final with Default Wide HD skin.
    I don't know if that helps but if you would like to know my settings, let me know. I bit stream everything via Default Direct Sound Device, I do not use the MP Audio Renderer for anything.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I know I had the same issue when I first installed an AVR (Denon X1200W)
    I have the same issue with my current Sony TV. :( My HTPC is connected via HDMI to the TV, and then I use the analogue audio output from the TV to feed an analogue Sony amplifier. My previous TV (a Toshiba) did not suffer from this problem.

The solution? Turn off sound effects in "MP Config" and stop worrying about it. (y)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom