Delete TV Recording from Client (1 Viewer)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    We are working on implementing this feature but it isn't as easy as it may look. The MP2 server is running with low privileges, not under a full user account. This is necessary for security reasons and to have the server up and running even if no user is logged in. So the server has no proper rights to delete files directly. That's why it isn't implemented already as we need a way to bypass this security issue without corrupting the whole security system. As we can not expect to have the recording folders shared under any circumstances we need a solution that is working even in such cases. Not that easy...

with no way to delete them.
    A very easy workaround is to delete the no longer needed recordings from explorer or similar. On the next manual or automatic refresh of the recordings source deleted recordings are removed from the DB. It can be done from any PC in your home network, even from a tablet or smartphone, as long as the recordings source is accessible from network neighborhood. This way folders and xml files can be removed too. Also I have the MP2 server running on my "main" HTPC this is the way I'm doing it since the beginning. Delete recordings from within MP2 GUI I only do occasionally. Often I cut and edit the recordings and convert them with MKV-Buddy for adding them to my media library.

FiftyFour##

Portal Member
    July 31, 2016
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi,

My primary HTPC runs MP2 Server and MP2 client on Windows 10 under a normal account. The recordings folder is in a local S drive. I could not delete my recordings until I was advised I may be missing a "thumbs" folder. Once I created the folder at "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\thumbs" I could delete my recordings.

I do not know if this will work for a headless setup given Lehdem posting about quite valid security concerns, but if you cannot delete recordings in a Single Seat HTPC configuration then this is what worked for me. A big thank you to MrBfJohn for the tip.

fatt_fill

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    We are working on implementing this feature but it isn't as easy as it may look.

I would say this is fundamental functionality for a true multi-seat solution but I understand the current limitations and appreciate the appetite to overcome this architecturally important hurdle. In the meantime I'll continue to delete files as a workaround but it's a bit clunky. I'm getting pressure from the wife to revert to the previous MP1 / Argus setup which worked well and was very "wife friendly", but that's drifting further and further out of support and after some issues lead to me rebuilding, I thought I'd give MP2 a go - it looks nice and works well in most areas, just a few little niggles like this

Thanks for the continued support and for continuing to develop such a great product

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I am also still not able to delete recordings. Is there any news on this issue?

Hint: If you want to be able to delete recordings from all clients not only the client on the same system as the server, then you should use UNC path (sample: //Server/Recordings/) instead of drive letters for the recordings folders. This way any client has write access and is able to delete no longer needed recordings from inside the GUI. You probably need to add a share to your Windows system and grant proper access there, before you can use UNC path as recording folder. UNC path is faster somehow in this case so you don't have any drawbacks here excerpt for the little bit more configuration work.
    From our Wiki...

ulischultz

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2009
    Munich
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks... But I did that before already. The problem is, that on one client the delete option is still not available on the menu.
    On the other client it is available, but if I delete one item, it is still there. Nothing really happens or is deleted.

ulischultz

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2009
    Munich
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Here are the logs from the client, where the delete option is visible, but nothing gets deleted.

Attachments

• MediaPortal2-Logs-2018-07-20-22.29.38.zip
      371 KB

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    if I delete one item, it is still there

From your logs:
    Error deleting resource '\\\192.168.86.11\Aufnahmen\Top Wing - Helden mit zwei Flügeln - Nickelodeon - 2018-07-20.ts'
    System.IO.IOException: Der angegebene Pfadname ist ungültig.
    Looks as if you have an error in your media sources and/or TV Engine setup. Did you enter the path manually? Looks as if this is the case because if you browse to the folder the computer name will be used, not the IP. A correct path to a recording file looks like this in the logs:

'\\192.168.86.11\Aufnahmen\Top Wing - Helden mit zwei Flügeln - Nickelodeon - 2018-07-20.ts' or

'\\Servername\Aufnahmen\Top Wing - Helden mit zwei Flügeln - Nickelodeon - 2018-07-20.ts'

In your logs there is one "\" too much at the beginning (just if you don't see this easily).

on one client the delete option is still not available on the menu
    This option only is shown if the client has the possibility to delete the recordings files. So if it is not there, it means the client can not delete recordings. Many reasons are possible for this like no proper rights, wrong configured path, firewall settings, AV software, security settings, network issues,,...

I would recommend to remove the "recordings" share from the MP2 server (all of them, if you have more than one). Next step is to activate the Firewall in your Router if it isn't already. This way you can disable the Defender Firewall for "private networks" completely. Indeed the router firewall is much, much more secure than the Windows Defender firewall (or any other software firewall) Now setup (or modify) the recordings folder as a shared folder in Windows with Read/Write access grant for "everyone" ("Jeder" in German). Then configure the recording folder in SetupTV pointing to this folder accessible by "everyone" and be sure the path is correct. Don't forget to check if all of your recordings are imported into the TV database..Now restart the MP2 Server (or your whole Server PC) and the new "Recordings" source should be added to MP2 automatically. After this it should be possible to delete recordings from any client...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom