Delete TV Recording from Client (1 Viewer)

Stickers

Portal Member
April 14, 2008
Wimborne UK
Home Country
England England
Hi

Can someone please tell me how you delete a TV recording once it has the status of watched against it? I know it sounds dumb and I have run through this forum and the wiki as I cant believe im the only one who cant delete recordings! I have a separate Server client set up with MP2.

Thanks!

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Can someone please tell me how you delete a TV recording
    I have never used MP2, so perhaps MP2 is different from MP1. But in MP1 you can press the INFO button on the remote control to bring up the context menu, which either has a "Delete" option on it, or has a "File Menu" option which in turn has the "Delete" option.

A quicker way is to press the "0" (zero) button on the remote control, which brings up the "Delete" dialogue directly.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Stickers

Portal Member
    April 14, 2008
    Wimborne UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi, Thanks for the reply. Media Portal 1 was easy to delete recordings by simply pressing Delete Key when in the Recordings Menu. I remember another thread complaining that you had to remove the schedule from the schedule list but this goes after the recording has finished. My server will run out of space and may have to delete the files via Windows soon.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    But in MP1 you can press the INFO button on the remote control to bring up the context menu, which either has a "Delete" option on it,
    This applies for MP2 as well. There is a "delete from storage" entry for all kind of MediaItems. But there have been reports that the "delete" option is not offered:
    • when the location is either a remote UNC path, or
    • a server based local path (i.e. D:\Recording on server) while Client is on another system.

Stickers

Portal Member
    April 14, 2008
    Wimborne UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi

Thanks for the reply this is indeed my issue as I am using a client that is connecting to the TV server. The TV server has local paths for the TV files. So in essence you only manage TV recordings in a single seat environment? If so then this does render the Server-Client setup lacking some functionality I suppose.

Richard3

January 30, 2016
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I seem to be having a similar issue. I'm a long time user and fan of mp1; but when I recently decided to upgrade my OS from win8.1 to 10 , I decided MP2 it's about time I made the change.

Sequence of steps:

1. installed win10 blowing away OS disk C:; but leaving D: which contains my music, videos, TV recordings
    2. installed MP2 as server and client (as I record and watch on the same PC)
    3. scanned for TV channels and setup EPG in MP2 TV Config
    4. change recording directory in MP2 TV config. to D:\public\TV
    5. in MP2 config changed my TV recordings, music and video to D:\public\TV, d:\public\music, D:\public\video
    6. triggered imports from MP setup menu
    7. verified all music, vidoes now available and playable
    8. checked EPG OK and I can trigger recordings from tv guide or search
    9. checked live tv ok
    10. watched both a new and old tv recording

So very happy.....until : tried to cleanup watched TV

In MP1 I'd hit the more info button or otherwise get the context sensitive menu up and I could select cleanup and remove all of my watched programs

in MP2 there;s no sign of cleanup, all I can find is "Delete from Storage" which means I have to remove watched programs one by one.

Am I missing something or is it time for a feature request?

fatt_fill

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2008
    Home Country
    It is still accepted practice that to delete recordings you have to be on a single seat (i.e. delete using the client on the machine also running the server). Is there any way to allow dedicated clients to have the permission to delete recorded TV, and if not are there any plans to introduce this functionality?

Thanks,
    Phil

fatt_fill

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2008
    Home Country
    I had another browse around the forums and play with this tonight and still can't work it out

On my server, in "MediaPortal 2 TV Configuration" > Recording > Folder, I set all tuners to record to "D:\Recorded TV" - this is a local drive on my server. The D:\ drive is also shared and mapped on my clients (as T:\) though I believe that should be irrelevant under MP2. Both dedicated client and server are in the same network within a workgroup and I can read/write to the server's shares from the dedicated clients. Note: I have tried all the below with the Tuners cards instead set to record to "\\SERVER\Recorded TV" but I have the same behavior.

- If I configure (on my dedicated client), a server media source using "Network neighborhood" and browse to SERVER > Recorded TV and then type Video, the recorded TV imports, but I cannot delete it on the dedicated client
    - If I configure (on the client installed on the server), a server media source using "Network neighborhood" and browse to SERVER > Recorded TV and then type Video, the recorded TV imports, but I cannot delete it on the dedicated client
    - If I configure (on the client installed on the server), a server media source using "Local filesystem" and browse to D:\Recorded TV and then type Video, the recorded TV imports, but I cannot delete it on the dedicated client

Basically everything thing I try means the TV imports fine and is visible / playable, can be deleted from the client installed on the server, but not the dedicated client running on a separate machine. I'm still not sure if that is by design or a config issue. Any ideas?

Phil

joule

August 3, 2016
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I am also having delete issues.
    I am a new user, having used MythTV for several years.
    Choose MP2 over MP1 based on the download page recommendation for server/multi-client usage.
    I am using a headless back-end MP server (using existing vmware box), and multiple front-end clients at each TV in the house. i see this as my best energy conservation, as the back-end is already on 24/7 for other purposes, and the clients will only be turned on when needed.
    I installed the server with the option of no GUI. Seemed like the right thing to do in my application, since the MP server has no direct attached monitor/keyboard.

So, the work-around of only being able to delete on the MP server box doesn't exist for me because there is no MP2 GUI installed.
    At this point, I'm busy recording and watching plenty of shows, with no way to delete them.

Ideas?
    Should i un-install MP2 and install MP1? Can you delete TV shows from the client in MP1?
    If this can't be resolved, I may have to go back to Myth. But the family is confused with the Linux/Windows dual-boot.

MP is a nice product, and a very nice GUI. I hope this can be resolved soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom