Desparate: DVD will really not play at all from HD! :-( (2 Viewers)

jcee

Portal Pro
November 23, 2004
Hi, I already checked the forum and I have to admit that it worked in the past.. but as I not check regulary it might be that I have the problem since several of the latest releases already.

Problem:
DVDs ripped to HD refuse to play. I do see the movie folder on my share and when I hit ENTER it step into the folders.. Moviename, then VIDEO_TS..
then I see the VTS_01.IFO file. When I hit enter the screen stays black, but no movie appears..

What I already did to resolve the problem (but did not work):
- Deinstalled MP completly and deleted the complete folder. reinstalled
- tried filles in PowerDVD => worked
- VOB files playback in WMP => (obviously) do not work
- tried VMR and overlay => do difference
- tried different codecs => all the same result
- wanted to change DVD navigator, but do only have "DVD Navigator" (from MP) in the list

- Inserted a DVD into the real DVD ROM drive.. It came up with "Disc instered... wanna play".. and played perfectly...

:-(

What am I doing wrong.. ?!

An what strange behaviour I have to admit:
- When I leave the DVD in the DVD-Rom and then go to my videos /share/moviename/VIDEO-TS/VTS_01.IFO
and klick on it (or enter)
It starts to playback the DVD in the real DVD-Rom drive..

Strange!

Anybody an idea, what is going wrong here?

jcee

Portal Pro
November 23, 2004
Poussun said:
Let's try a software to 'virtualize' DVD from HD as real DVD drive...

'Daemon tool' is one of them...

But unfortunatly I have them all already ripped on my HD, so no ISO image anymore I could mount :-(

And in addition a lot of people said it should work with the VOBs on HD and "just hitting Enter on the folder"
:-(

I do not know what to try next..

Poussun

Portal Member
November 29, 2004
Luxembourg
Daemon tool just takes your DVD-Directory and simulates an ISO mount point... So all your dvd directories work like a real dvd mounted in a drive.

jcee

Portal Pro
November 23, 2004
Poussun said:
Daemon tool just takes your DVD-Directory and simulates an ISO mount point... So all your dvd directories work like a real dvd mounted in a drive.

Sorry, I dont understand. :-(
I just read the help file here http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/daemonhelp.php

and it does not tell anything about an option to select a directory, it only tells to mount an IMAGE..

Or did I misunderstand something here?!

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I don't think Daemon tools will take an existing folder and create a mount point. I take DVD's and use DVDShrink to create ISO's of the DVD's. I think you should do that now. Download DVDShrink, "open" a dvd at the folder locations you have extracted. Then set the DVD compression settings if you want any (I always rip uncompressed personally) and set your target to ISO.

The DVDShrink software is very easy to use.

Now, once you have an ISO, you'll need Daemon Tools to automount the ISO through Media Portal. There's a setting in the Media Portal config where you configure the path to Daemon Tools and such.

jcee

Portal Pro
November 23, 2004
I understand..

But I thought it should be possible to play the VOBs (or the whole structure) through MP?!

What goes wrong and how can I find out?
Does MP not recognize the VOBs or the VIDEO_TS folder and is trying to use WMP in the background to play? That what obviously not work at all...

I am stuck here and I dont want to convert all my DVD ripps into ISOs..

Is this a bug in MP or whats causing that behaviour?
PowerDVD does play the files fine.. :-(

A

Anonymous

I can't say exactly. I would think it's more to do with the fact that MP doesn't recognize the folder as the root level of a DVD. There would have to be code somewhere which detected the usual files/folders found on the root of a DVD and initialize playback from that location. I don't think that exists.

Having the DVD as an ISO just seems more natural to me anyway, instead of having an entire DVD expanded out on your disk, it's just a single file. But I understand you'd like to just make this work instead of doing more work right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom