[TV] disable the (repeating) "connection to tv server lost" message? (1 Viewer)

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    I think Seb means, "after you install the patch, it should only display once"

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Please just add an option like we introduced in MP 1.4.0 where you can disable the popup 'are you shure that you want to stop timeshift?' for live television. Let the user choose if he want this kind of messages or not.. Enable it by default is fine, but please make it possible to disable it!!!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I also get this message popup-ing up repetitively on my bedroom pc when the tv-server is asleep. Fortunately it doesn't happen during fullscreen video. (it's also probably the cause of why MePo sometimes crashes when it is not in focus).

Please don't add more options to mpconfig it makes it more complicated for new users.
    just change the timing so it only displays once per session. session counter is reset when tv-service is reconnected.

Last edited:

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I also get this message popup-ing up repetitively on my bedroom pc when the tv-server is asleep. Fortunately it doesn't happen during fullscreen video. (it's also probably the cause of why MePo sometimes crashes when it is not in focus).

Please don't add more options to mpconfig it makes it more complicated for new users.
    just change the timing so it only displays once per session. session counter is reset when tv-service is reconnected.

In my case that will lead to even more popups. Why not completely disable the pop-up and let it only showup when a user tries to enter live television...? Otherwise it doesn't make any sense at all..

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I read in PS thread it stems from the default behavior that MP client always wakes up tv-server and tv-server will not go to sleep until client goes to sleep. I guess this is because tv-server often has all the media files, so it's good if its awake if you want to play music / movies etc... I think this is an enhancement/feature request not related to the notification.[DOUBLEPOST=1372173905][/DOUBLEPOST]
    In my case that will lead to even more popups. Why not completely disable the pop-up and let it only showup when a user tries to enter live television...? Otherwise it doesn't make any sense at all..
    It wont lead to more popups because you are describing a bug that seb is looking to fix, you are asking for additional configuration options to work around a bug, why not try fix the bug first?

Last edited:

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I read in PS thread it stems from the default behavior that MP client always wakes up tv-server and tv-server will not go to sleep until client goes to sleep. I guess this is because tv-server often has all the media files, so it's good if its awake if you want to play music / movies etc... I think this is an enhancement/feature request not related to the notification.[DOUBLEPOST=1372173905][/DOUBLEPOST]It wont lead to more popups because you are describing a bug that seb is looking to fix, you are asking for additional configuration options to work around a bug, why not try fix the bug first?

Because I have tried to fix this issues allready a lot of times in the past and have asked for help serveral times, but even the devs can't find the problem in my case. With your suggestion the popup wil open each time the tv server connection is lost. I preffer to remove the message, and only when a user tries to open live television, show a message if there is no connection.. That makes more sense in my opinion. Agree?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Am I right in that you have suggested two things.

1. Configuration option, disagree. Should look at fixing the behavior, not a work around. MP Configuration has too many options, we need less not more.

If there was to be a setting it should be a global setting for notification popups. This includes tv-notifications, plugin notifications, tv-server disconnection notifications, skin update notifications (canot play back selected media/codec error would be an exception)

2. Don't display notification unless user is trying to enter or is in the tv-section. Sounds reasonable if sebs patch won't fix. I agree with you on this. (This would treat the symptoms of your problem)

PS. As I'm not a developer my decision doesn't really count for anything around here anyway, I can only sway people who are on the fence :p or suggest things and cross fingers...

Last edited:

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Sheesh guys, this is turning into a overly complicated rationalisation epic. Its simple: stop having the same "lost tv server connection' message appearing constantly. That's the original request of this thread.

If there's a bug that's similar, related, or exhibits behaviours trigger the same message, keep that separate, or you'll end up in a committe-thinking camel-creating snowballing hell of a problem that will take forever to resolve.

My issue is simple: If the TV server isn't available, MP becomes basically totally useless because the same "lost connection" message pops up every few seconds forever. WAF has plummeted. Just stop the message from constantly showing up!

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    The attached bien (above) should be ok to display the message only once :)

The current code fake MP and said "i'm online" but it's not and few sec after MP detect offline (message) and so on and so on.

Fixing the detection of tvservice -> Only one message -> if the tvservice is up MP get the connection and if for some reason tvservice goes to off again -> We get the message but we only get it once after MP detect tvservice is OFF and not yet like now after each connection test (all 5 seconds).

So Guys try the bin against 1.4.0 and see if it's better or not :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom