[DIY] Amblight project/guide - Hyperion - WS2801/ WS2812B / APA102 (1 Viewer)

Hapo

Portal Member
August 26, 2015
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
Ok, so, arduino just arrived. I tried testing several times but it still fails.
Ive uploaded a video (sorry for the bad english) to show what happens.
In a brief:
I downloaded everything, ive extracted FastLED to library, ive used the sample you had and changed the led numbers, also tried examples from fastLED (changing the PORTS number) but only 2 led lights are up with random colors. Also changed PORT and Board

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Seeing no errors during upload and if the examples of FastLed also aren't working it must be defective leds, just to double check though on the led strip there are arrows to point out the direction the data has to flow.
    So on the end where you connect the cables the arrows need to point away from that, if that is correct we can rule anything else and best to get replacement leds or maybe warranty via the shop.

Hapo

Portal Member
    August 26, 2015
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Yes, the arrow is going opposite to cable connection. Well then, i will try getting replacement led strip and try everything again :(
    Cant believe it was the LEDs all this time.
    Thanks for the help, i will post it here when get new LED strip to tell if its working :)
    (Is it ok to keep with WS2801 or are there better leds to buy? By better i mean easy to test and use it)

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Since you have the Uno R3 now you can go with the WS2812B if you want more leds per meter (60 vs 30) otherwise stick with the WS2801 :)

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Attach the data and clk wires after the first few leds to check if maybe just the first few are defective and the rest are working.

Hapo

Portal Member
    August 26, 2015
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Since you have the Uno R3 now you can go with the WS2812B if you want more leds per meter (60 vs 30) otherwise stick with the WS2801 :)

Ok! If i dont get a refund ill get those instead then.

Attach the data and clk wires after the first few leds to check if maybe just the first few are defective and the rest are working.

Just tried with the next segment of the Led strip and it did not work also :/

Hapo

Portal Member
    August 26, 2015
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Heya, so my new Led strip has arrived! I have test it the whole 5 meters with arduino and worked, so i cut it out and test it with hyperion on Rpi 2 and openelec 5.0.5 and it did also worked, with the Test command, hyperion remote and when using a video.

But, im still having a problem which i dont know how to solve, it appears the LED strip is reversing RED with BLUE. So when i use test command to RED it light up blue and when use it with blue it lights up red. Also using the remote, the green and purple looks fine but when i move the arrow to the RED zone it light up blue and when to the blue zone it light up RED. How can i fix that? Thanks!

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    In your Hyperion config file there's a section where you can change the RGB order:

Code:
    "name"  : "MyPi",
    "type"  : "adalight",
    "output"  : "/dev/ttyACM0",
    "rate"  : 460800,
    "colorOrder" : "grb"

ColorOrder GRB should work correctly for WS2812B however some brands / productions switch that around, so you basically want to swap out R with B there :)
    Another way is to change that in the Arduino sketch but if you used the one from the tutorial on the first page that's already fine.

Last edited:

Hapo

Portal Member
    August 26, 2015
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    I did changed to GRB, BGR but it did not work. Im still using WS2801 RGB, ive uploaded 2 videos for you to check it out the problem. It goes wrong in Rpi and in the Arduino also

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hmm that's weird, could you post the used Arduino sketch?
    For Hyperion it requires you to restart the process but if you change it in Arduino and upload it should apply right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom