[DIY] AtmoOrb - A Hue like mood lamp based on Particle Photon with NeoPixel - *Tutorial added* (2 Viewers)

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It would flood the logs pretty quickly (up to 60 entries p/s) which is why we have logging of color commands turned off.
    Best to test via the AtmoOrbs apps if you want to debug connectivity (step 2 of the guide), with UDP there's no connection state so it can't know if anything is received at the other end but if you follow the steps from the guide its pretty easy to add / configure in AtmoLight config as most gets auto-filled.

When using the Neopixel ring kit it should be plug and play, otherwise you need a 3,3v -> 5v logic converter and optionally the resistor.

Last edited:

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    AtmoOrb is now supported in Hyperion so you can use it as a device there:

https://github.com/tvdzwan/hyperion/releases/tag/V1.00.0

It's a bit more work to setup but if you are already used to Hyperion it should be pretty familiar and its smoothing algorithm is nicer overall.
    You can use the new forward feature to have a single Hyperion server control other ones to mix several setups (TV ambilight+ Orbs for instance) however documentation for it is in progress but here's the config bit, have written up some basic documentation for it here:

https://github.com/tvdzwan/hyperion/wiki/AtmoOrb-device

All of this you can also setup in the recently updated HyperCon tool which offers a device type "AtmoOrb" thanks to brindosch :)

Last edited:

ixdvc

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Have I understood it correctly that you only need one Pi in order to use a TV ambilight and a (or multiple) AtmoOrb(s)? And then you would need three Hyperion instances running for ambilight + one AtmoOrb - one as forwarder and then one for each device?
    If that is the case I think I will build an AtmoOrb based on your tutorial. How much is the shipping from Adafruit to Europe?

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Correct, you need 1 Pi to control multiple Hyperion instances which can be completely on the local device.
    In my case it's on a RPi 2 which has 2 instances of Hyperiond running with different configurations, one for APA102 and the other for AtmoOrbs.

Written the first steps of the documentation as that was missing / incomplete, plan to expand it soon with more examples and diagrams:

https://github.com/tvdzwan/hyperion/wiki/Network-and-distributed-features

Shipping from adafruit is about 20 bucks depending on the type you choose, some vendors might sell the Neopixel ring kit locally.
    The photons you should be able to get in any local tech shop nowadays for around 15-20 bucks, typically order from Afafruit as a batch to save on shipping every 3 months or so.

ixdvc

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for your reply. The photons aren't a problem, they are available from multiple shops in Germany. I haven't found the ring kit yet, but will continue my search or order directly from Adafruit.

Last edited:

ixdvc

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have found out now that the ring kit is not available from resellers (they are not allowed to buy it). Then one ring kit would be about 50 euros plus 20 percent import tax which is way too much in my opinion (i have paid 75 euros for 240 APA102 LEDs :D).
    The Neopixel ring alone, however, is available locally. If I want to use this one, is this the right way to connect:

+5 V from PSU -> VIN of the Photon and +5 V of the ring
    GND from PSU -> GND of Photon and ring
    P6 from Photon -> Data In of the ring

I want to test it without level shifter for the data line and would add one later if it does not work.

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Believe the APA102 chip has a minium of 3,5v accepted logic, shouldn't work with 3,3v afaik but worth a try :)

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just today tried running WS2812B and UCS2912 at 3.3V. It works in general, but lots of little glitches in there. Just fyi.

ixdvc

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yeah, might be better to use the level shifter then. I have some of these ICs around anyway from the level shifter I made for my APA102 strip.
    What's interesting however, is that I tried a WS2801 strip (which has a minimum input voltage of 4 V according to its datasheet) once using Hyperion without a level shifter and it worked without problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom