Downloadable 'country packs' (1 Viewer)

maxtrash

Portal Pro
November 27, 2004
Tilburg, Netherlands
I think it would be a nice idea and very helpful for new users if specific configuration settings for countries could be downloaded. So after installing MP you could download an additional zip for your country that would contain:
- icons for tv guide;
- external radio stations (streams);
- sets of cable /antenna frequencies;
- some rss-feeds;
- url for satellite image for weather plugin;
- others settings like correct display language, subtitle language and xmltv;

eventually the pack could be downloadable from the configuration itself but that's not that important actually.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    maxtrash,

I think this is a great idea.
    It does not need development work though as all of this can be done today provided say the zip file has the correct directory structure etc.

We just need a common place to host the files and also allow users to update the zip files with revision updates etc.

Why don't you start building a country pack for your region, host it somewhere and then get feedback.

DMAN

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    I can do one for australia, and can do the hosting as well. Not tv frequencies or radio because they are suburb dependent and we have a few different states.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm sure if you do the frequencies for your area then other people can add their areas later to grow the Aussie country pack.
    It will just be a reference document for people who have to manual tune.

Can you host other country packs?

DMAN.

A

Anonymous

maxtrash said:
    - icons for tv guide;
    - some rss-feeds;

Sounds like most of these things are actually settings and url pointers. Perhaps a "package" for each country isn't required. Why not create a wiki page for each country, where people can record their advice for a country. I have asked for the wiki front page to be changed http://www.maisenbachers.de/dokuw/maintainer:smalltalk. You could ask Dek to put in a "Country specific settings" menu item on the front page as well. This would prevent this being hosted all over the place.

Just my thoughts.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    All items can be found on the web yes but it would be nice to have packages especially for the TV Guide icons, Radio icons, Satellite images etc.
    Region defined xmltv config files too.

DMAN.

maxtrash

Portal Pro
    November 27, 2004
    Tilburg, Netherlands
    thanks for all the positive feedback!

The wiki seems like a good place to put some info and the URL for downloading the packages. I think there definitely is an advantage to actually make a zip because it's not that easy to find radio-streams, the icons etc.

I will try and make a start. My current icons suck (too small) and my current config isn't that great, but once we get started improvement is a lot easier I think. I was thinking about making a zip with the correct paths in it plus some batch-file to be able to save current settings.

I'm from the Netherlands btw.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    I was thinking along the lines of making documents to go with it listing all the needed information for each section. Only reason was because Im not sure what the edit in order to make MP accept this config.

- icons for tv guide;

Can do even with directory structure so its as simple as copy&paste

List?

Very very large as each state has about 5 transmitters with different frequencies for each. Many states as well. Probably not viable but can supply website they can look it up on.

- some rss-feeds;

List?

Url easy...

XMLTV - Can supply the whole program with settings for each state accordingly.

maxtrash

Portal Pro
    November 27, 2004
    Tilburg, Netherlands
    oke, I did some work on this.

please have a look at this file and tell me what you think. Extract it in the mediaportal directory (you'll get a subdir called CountryPacks)

http://members.home.nl/mediaportal/

I found out that the rss-feeds are in the main mediaportal.xml, not ideal IMHO.
    secondly: the biggest file is the tvdatabase. It just contains the frequencies (and names of dutch channels) for one cable operator, so that's not going to be too helpful. I think in the end we could use an import-xml function or the frequencies in the config. We could then make a subdirectory with numerous xml files for different cable companies. Never mind, first things first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom