[confirm] Dropping frames - MP neverending story (1 Viewer)

esas

Portal Pro
November 14, 2006
Home Country
Norway Norway
0002748: Remove ATI flickering hack - MediaPortal Bugtracker

But in any case GT220 is more than enough for MP and 1080p/i.

To bad this can't be removed. Is it possible to post a patch? That way community users can compile their own version if they want to (not using ATI 5xxx ;)). Maybe after 1.1 final?

If you check the Mantis entry more closely you'll see that it has been already removed :)

Hmm.. OK, if you say so. Looked like to me like you reverted back this fix (2010-03-09 22:36 : fixed => won't fix ) do to the ATI 5xxx black screen problem. Maybe it's the ATI 5xxx that's supose to be "won't fix"? Seems more resonable since it looks like a driver issue..

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Do you have any anti-virus program installed, in that case try to exclude the folders where you have your timeshift and recording stored.

I would suggest completely removing any AntiVirus software and trying without it.

NOD32 will spike the CPU usage from time to time which on a low CPU will most of the times result in a dropped frame, same goes for the MS AntiVirus.

torbjorns

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Well, I hoped the dropping frames problem was solved in RC2. It seems that its not. I have tried the most; changing graphic drivers, codecs etc. The only TV codec that works is MPC-MPEG2 (Gabest).

I use shift +1 launching a graph. After some 25000 frames suddenly frames getting dropped, fps drops to some 30.

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    For good performances with MediaPortal you need at least and ATI HD4670 or Nvidia9500 if you output to a 1080p (FULLHD) TV. This is due to the ati hack introduced in MP 1.1b.

0002748: Remove ATI flickering hack - MediaPortal Bugtracker

But in any case GT220 is more than enough for MP and 1080p/i.

I thought you removed it in 25148 and reintroduced it in 25214:

0002753: Black video playback in fullscreen with ATI 5xxx series graphic cards. - MediaPortal Bugtracker

http://sources.team-mediaportal.com/websvn/listing.php?repname=MediaPortal&path=/&rev=25214&sc=1

So in RC2 there is no hack?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    So in RC2 there is no hack?

Well, from SVN it looks like there would be a hack, but there isnt :D

ATI has failed to provide a working StrecthRect() implementation in their drivers (5xxx has it failing really badly). Previously the different rendering method (by using texture) was called as a hack mainly as it required to have extra texture copy step inside EVR / VMR9 components, but now the requirement for that has been removed (to make the long story short we can get the texture pointer from the surface...). So, from performance point of view there is no hack anymore. But from my point of view we still have lot more complex code base that is caused by broken GPU drivers which causes 1) minor performance loss (nothing too big to worry about) 2) harder to maintain code base (most likely few extra hidden bugs :)).

lordie

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 19, 2007
    Prague
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Dear friends,

I would like to thank you all a lot for your hints and tips. Yesterday I tried few additional changes in my MP installation - disabled indexing for all harddrives, moved timeshift folder to non-system disk and installed older NVidia drivers (186.34) according post from te3hpurp :)thx:). Up to now those steps (I think especially the drivers change) decreased frames dropping on SD and HD more then 10times (I had several hunderts dropped frames in hour, now it is max 10, which is not recognizable). So with preliminary care I can say, my problems are solved.

Once again big :D

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hello PPL!

I'm going mad about this stuttering issue....... for who owns a ATI 4670 card, what kind of drivers do you suggest? i'm using 10.2 but are crappy stuttering. it's almost 3 months that i was facing this issue on 7...... :(

thank you for help

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    for who owns a ATI 4670 card, what kind of drivers do you suggest? i'm using 10.2 but are crappy stuttering. it's almost 3 months that i was facing this issue on 7...... :(

thank you for help

For what it's worth: Until about 2 weeks ago my system had a HD4670 Ultimate in it and i never experienced stuttering on my system, but my CPU is a bit stronger then yours. I'm always running the latest ATi drivers (so that was 10.2 also, i'm on 10.3 now). I've got my recording folder on a seperate drivers (different then the OS) and i've configured my NOD32 to exclude both 'Team Mediaportal' folders in Program Files & Program Data, my timeshift & recording folder.

lordie

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 19, 2007
    Prague
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Hello PPL!

I'm going mad about this stuttering issue....... for who owns a ATI 4670 card, what kind of drivers do you suggest? i'm using 10.2 but are crappy stuttering. it's almost 3 months that i was facing this issue on 7...... :(

thank you for help

I noticed you are using PDVD 9 codec. Isn't this codes a part of SAF4 stable ? This codec caused periodical stuttering on my system (in both 1.0.2 and RC1). It didn't drop frames, but FPS went down to cca 30fps for several seconds and then returned back. I found better to use older one (CLVsd.ax), which doesn't suffer from those problems (but is not usable for HD)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom