DTS-HD on non HD Receiver (1 Viewer)

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
June 17, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
i usually tick the relevant options in lav audio config to bitstream all audio except true hd and dts hd as my amplifier does not decode these two, but i was reading the wiki about mpar and now wonder if i should let mpar do the work by not ticking the bitstream options in the lav config, but then the resulting audio going to the amp does not result in the amp lighting up DD or DTS, i just get pcm on the amp?

ive not installed this work im on stock 1.3.0 final with some plugins in use

Last edited:

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
June 17, 2011
Home Country
So after way more confused reading, wasapi is in 1.40 and i think this is what i need to be able to bitstream via the mpar and thus keeping all the new benefits it brings, like dts hd and true hd decoded and sent to the amp (as my amp cant decode this), where as it will pass the DD and DTS to the amp if im understanding this correctly.

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    i usually tick the relevant options in lav audio config to bitstream all audio except true hd and dts hd as my amplifier does not decode these two, but i was reading the wiki about mpar and now wonder if i should let mpar do the work by not ticking the bitstream options in the lav config, but then the resulting audio going to the amp does not result in the amp lighting up DD or DTS, i just get pcm on the amp?

ive not installed this work im on stock 1.3.0 final with some plugins in use
    BASS and MPAR are 2 different things, but both (can) use WASAPI. MPAR isn't used for Music playback.
    Ticking bitstreaming in LAV Audio breaks MPAR functionality, since the main goal for MPAR is to speed up/down the playback of video to match a refresh rate.

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
    June 17, 2011
    Home Country
    if i dont use ticked lav options then the resulting output on the amp does not say DD or DTS is this due to the current lack of wasapi in 1.3.0 and is there somewhere in the wiki or on the forums for case scenarios for us to view, think i need to test 1.4.0 files to get an idea of what wasapi will do for me in terms of passing the audio to the amp when its DD or DTS and decoding hd formats :confused:

thanks for the help.

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    if i dont use ticked lav options then the resulting output on the amp does not say DD or DTS
    Correct since (L)PCM is send to the AMP/Receiver:
    Bit streaming - This is the process where the original audio stream is transmitted digitally in its original format to the AVR for decoding.
    Linear Pulse Code Modulation (LPCM) - Uncompressed lossless audio format also capable of transmitting 7.1. Just doesn't light up your receiver with the pretty DTS or Dolby logos.

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
    June 17, 2011
    Home Country
    ok so no loss in quality is good and will play with this more when i update to 1.4.0 in the not too distant future i hope :)

corcy

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ok so no loss in quality is good and will play with this more when i update to 1.4.0 in the not too distant future i hope :)
    If you are talking about movies and not music, you don't need to wait for 1.4.0 as MPAR is already included and functioning in the current media portal version and of course there will be some potential loss in quality if you use MPAR for speeding up/slowing down, because the audio signal will be re-sampled. Btw if you don't bitstream DTS HD then you would need the optional dts codec from arcsoft in the LAV Filter directory otherwise the LAV audio filter will only decode the DTS core signal and not DTS HD.

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
    June 17, 2011
    Home Country
    If you are talking about movies and not music, you don't need to wait for 1.4.0 as MPAR is already included and functioning in the current media portal version and of course there will be some potential loss in quality if you use MPAR for speeding up/slowing down, because the audio signal will be re-sampled. Btw if you don't bitstream DTS HD then you would need the optional dts codec from arcsoft in the LAV Filter directory otherwise the LAV audio filter will only decode the DTS core signal and not DTS HD.

mmm now that i also did not know, will try and find the codec you mentioned, will this then enable the playback despite nit having an hd capable receiver?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    mmm now that i also did not know, will try and find the codec you mentioned, will this then enable the playback despite nit having an hd capable receiver?
    Off course not Sorry, misread the post and got somewhat confused with the talk about DD/DTS light on or off.
    If you decode it on your PC (and you need dtsdecoderdll.dll for it, which comes with commercial (read: payed for) players), then you can send PCM to your receiver, which simply amplifies it an plays it.

Last edited:

corcy

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry, but I don't really understand what you are asking about enabling playback?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom