DUGG TV guide grabber - Updated [02.06.06] (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusmann

Portal Pro
October 22, 2005
Hi all. I have written a guide grabber for Australia.

It can grab all the pay TV stations and also FTA for more than 20 different Australian regions.

A simple editable initialization file allows you to set your region, timezone and paytv choices, as well as the number of days grabbed etc.

It can grab encrypted data.

It outputs in XML and an easily read text-file is created also. It grabs the program start time and, duration and calculates the stop time, coping properly with programs that span midnight etc. It grabs the channel, program title, subtitle,long description, rating and genre.

I wrote the prog. to format the XML for my needs, but if anybody can point to a more "universal" format for this kind of data I could easily modify the XML output.

The XML is "cleaned up" to remove or replace foriegn and unprintable characters. For example "&" is converted to "and" because "&" in an XML document can cause problems.

Find the program here : http://dugg.ueuo.com

If you are interested, or can suggest an XML format, PM me.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi angusmann,

This sounds interesting - where are you grabbing the TV Guide data from?

angusmann

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2005
    I will only say in public that is is the best source.

Dont want to get in trouble.

PM me and I can email more info.

Dordo

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2004
    I have used this and I must say its very good, quick easy to use and grabs quite detailed information. There are still a few problems to be ironed out and a few features which would be nice to see added but considering how new this is I must say on the whole its very impressive.

angusmann

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2005
    Thanks to all the testers. Even over the course of 1 day I have improved the program using all your suggestions and I am very pleased with the way it's working now.

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Angusman,

I've PM'ed you several days ago, but no reply

regrards,
    Peter

winsys11

Portal Member
    September 26, 2005
    Melbourne
    just thought y'all might like to read this.......
    Who knows if it's legally enforcable, but I for one don't have the $$$ to contest it with Foxtel.

quote :
    "The Listing Information is not to be, in any way, downloaded or used in conjunction with any device, such as customer equipment or a set top box, which permits manipulation of the program listings, or which permits scheduled program recording."

Of course thay don't want this - it's competition for their IQ product. By explicitly stating this, I think Foxtel are wide open to investigaton by the ACCC for anti-competitive behaviour.

Anyway, here's the amusing little warning in full :

FOXTEL is the copyright owner in respect of:

• the listing information for each of the channels it owns and operates (‘Channel Listings’);
    • the overall compilation of listing information for all the channels it provides, and the compilation of movies called “A-Z MOVIES†(‘Compilations’),
    (together, ‘Listing Information’)

Copyright information

Copyright in the Channel Listings and the Compilations remain at all times the property of FOXTEL and no unauthorised person must in any way challenge FOXTEL’s claim to copyright in the Channel Listings and the Compilations.

The Listing Information is not to be, in any way, downloaded or used in conjunction with any device, such as customer equipment or a set top box, which permits manipulation of the program listings, or which permits scheduled program recording.

A person (unless otherwise authorised) may only use the Listing Information for the purpose of viewing online for the person's personal use, and must not sell, supply or otherwise provide the listing information to any third parties.

The user of the Listing Information agrees not to:

• adapt or alter all or any part of the Listing Information;
    • copy, publish, exploit, split, record, re-encode, redirect, relay, alter, retransmit, resell, redistribute or otherwise offer or supply all or any part of the Listing Information in any way, including via the internet or any other means of communication; or
    • exhibit, or permit or facilitate the viewing of the all or any part of the Listing Information in a public viewing area.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom