DVB-S2 card fails to tune? Subchannel count increasing (1 Viewer)

jmuellers

Portal Member
August 20, 2010
Hi everyone,
for a long time now I have had the problem that one of the two tuners stops working. It is reproducible by going into the "Test Channels" section of the TV Server Configuration, and run the test. Both tuners will initially tune fine and go through the channels, each of the two rows being marked red every now and then.
Eventually one tuner will not tune anymore, the row will stay red and the "Subchannels" count increases. In "Manual control" Timeshift can not be startet: "Tune cancelled".
Restarting TV Server seems to reset whatever is going wrong, the Tuner will work again for a while.

How can I track and solve the issue?

subchannel.png

Thanks,
Johannes

TV Server Version: 1.20.0.0
Tuner: Cine S2 V5 (with current drivers)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Eventually one tuner will not tune anymore
    I have had this in the past with DVB-T/T2 tuners, but it has not occurred for some time. I am not sure what fixed it, but one of the following might be relevant:

(1) I originally had two identical tuner cards in the HTPC, and I suspect that the tuner driver does not work 100% correctly when two identical cards are present. Looking back through the Windows abend reports (using Nirsoft's "BlueScreenView" tool), there were quite a few abends that had occurred in the tuner driver. I removed one of these tuner cards, and replaced it with a different brand. Almost zero abends since then, and no tuner lock-ups that I remember.

(2) I also think that attempting to tune a part-time channel was involved somehow, i.e. trying to tune a channel that was not currently broadcasting. Doing this manually results in a pop-up appearing, so that seems to be detected correctly by "TV Server", but possibly other actions are mishandled (e.g. trying to grab the EPG from a channel that is not broadcasting). When you use the "Test Channels" facility of "TV Server Config", it will (presumably) try to tune some channels that are not broadcasting. Coincidence?

What to do? Unfortunately, the current MP1 team has no one with knowledge of "TV Server", so it seems unlikely to me that any sort of fix will be forthcoming. Note that MP2 uses the same "TV Server", so probably suffers from the same problem. The only workaround that I can suggest is the "nuclear" option of installing a tuner card from a different manufacturer, and hoping that it does not suffer from the same problem.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom