[DVD] DVD Navigation Issue & DVD Playback (1 Viewer)

SteffelGreen

Portal Pro
March 29, 2009
Is playing normal DVDs in MediaPortal under Win 7 a no go? I have been playing around with all sorts of settings, but most DVDs just won't play. Doesnt' seem like anybody has any solution to this yet, or am I missing something?

using AnyDVD solves the problem.

But aspect ratio still doenst work with win7/vista x64 with the lastest SVns.

tomoqv

Portal Pro
June 28, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Is playing normal DVDs in MediaPortal under Win 7 a no go? I have been playing around with all sorts of settings, but most DVDs just won't play. Doesnt' seem like anybody has any solution to this yet, or am I missing something?

Do you mean by using AnyDVD as DVD player instead of built-in? If so, can you use the remote for skipping, DVD menus etc.?

Snaeh

Portal Member
September 8, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany

Do you mean by using AnyDVD as DVD player instead of built-in? If so, can you use the remote for skipping, DVD menus etc.?

No, AnyDVD is a program that runs in the background and removes the copy protection of the DVD. The use of this program is not allowed in several countries, for example in germany.

tomoqv

Portal Pro
June 28, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden

No, AnyDVD is a program that runs in the background and removes the copy protection of the DVD. The use of this program is not allowed in several countries, for example in germany.

I cannot see how that would solve my problem as the DVD's I am trying to play have worked fine with MP in Win XP.

tomoqv

Portal Pro
June 28, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I cannot see how that would solve my problem as the DVD's I am trying to play have worked fine with MP in Win XP.

:rolleyes:

Just try it. It'll work.

I can confirm that it works. I guess AnyDVD interferes with or bypasses the DVD navigator in MP somehow. However, I am not overly excited about shelling out EUR49 for a two-year or EUR64 for a lifetime licence to solve something that should just work out of the box in MediaPortal! Thanks for the tip anyway.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Just try it. It'll work.

I can confirm that it works. I guess AnyDVD interferes with or bypasses the DVD navigator in MP somehow. However, I am not overly excited about shelling out EUR49 for a two-year or EUR64 for a lifetime licence to solve something that should just work out of the box in MediaPortal! Thanks for the tip anyway.

MediaPortal doesn't have own DVD navigator. Please ask Cyberlink or MS (or whose DVD navigator you have configured MP to use) to fix their component :)

tomoqv

Portal Pro
    June 28, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

Just try it. It'll work.

MediaPortal doesn't have own DVD navigator. Please ask Cyberlink or MS (or whose DVD navigator you have configured MP to use) to fix their component :)

It works, although I thought it didn't...BUT, it takes 8-9 minutes before MP starts to play the DVD after it is inserted!!! Once the DVD has started to play and I hit stop, it only takes seconds to restart it. If I close MP, reenable autoplay with WMP in Win 7 and inserts the DVD, it starts playing almost instantly. Sounds more like an MP issue to me...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

It works, although I thought it didn't...BUT, it takes 8-9 minutes before MP starts to play the DVD after it is inserted!!! Once the DVD has started to play and I hit stop, it only takes seconds to restart it. If I close MP, reenable autoplay with WMP in Win 7 and inserts the DVD, it starts playing almost instantly. Sounds more like an MP issue to me...

That indeed sounds like a bug in MP. Most likely MediaInfo.dll is trying to read the encrypted DVD content (and that is why AnyDVD helps. Same might be happening when using WMP as it might do something with the DVD drive to allow the encrypted content to be read with an application that doesn't have valid decryption keys).

I think the MediaInfo + encrypted DVD issue has been sorted out in SVN versions. At least I remember Manfred talking about it.

tomoqv

Portal Pro
    June 28, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

That indeed sounds like a bug in MP. Most likely MediaInfo.dll is trying to read the encrypted DVD content (and that is why AnyDVD helps. Same might be happening when using WMP as it might do something with the DVD drive to allow the encrypted content to be read with an application that doesn't have valid decryption keys).

I think the MediaInfo + encrypted DVD issue has been sorted out in SVN versions. At least I remember Manfred talking about it.

Finally!!! It was a bug in MP 1.1.0 Beta and not related to Win 7 at all. I installed latest SVN and it suddenly worked again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom