[solved] DVD won't play properly. (2 Viewers)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    I have a recently purchased DVD that won't play on my htpc. It seems to load ok but the screen just shows a short red strip on a black background, looks like the menue is not displayed, if I hit enter and play I can get it to play audio but the screen flashes between green and black, if I press pause play stops and the regular play bar and controls are displayed.
    I have the exact same problem using MPC-HC and PowerDVD shows the tittle but says there is no disc in the player. All other dvds and bluray disks in my collection play fine and the problem dvd plays without problem on my descktop pc.:confused:
    The player is a fairly old LG BH10LS30 with latest available firmware.
    Anyone have an idea what can be wrong?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Country flag
    All other dvds and bluray disks in my collection play fine and the problem dvd plays without problem on my descktop pc.
    Is there any visible damage or defect on the disk, especially near the centre (where playback starts)?

Some of my oldest CDs (manufactured when CD production was still in its infancy) have pinholes in the reflective coating (hold the disk up to the light to check). Another CD has a small discoloration that looks like a burn mark. Both disks were like this when purchased new, but both play without problem.

I have another CD that has an original paper label with a small bubble about 1 mm in size very close to the centre, and this (I think) causes the CD clamp to misalign the disk so that it is not at 90 degrees to the spindle when clamped. This disk plays differently on different players. On the poorest player, the outmost track jumps around and never actually finishes playing. On middling players, the disk plays but with varying degrees of audible defect. On the best player (a Sony), there is no audible defect.

My brother had a disk that he mistreated horribly. The playing side was covered in scatches, to the point where it no longer played in his PC, but it still played in the CD player in his hi-fi system.

In the past, I have found that MP's menu handling logic was not 100% correct for DVDs. It is not correct in my Pioneer DVD player either, but the two players are differently incorrect. In particular, the selection that should have been highlighted had no highlight (so you could not tell which selection was highlighted). But only some DVDs were affected. The DVD drive in my HTPC has not worked for several years, so MP may have improved since I last used MP to play a DVD.

I think that some (possibly most) DVDs have some sort of copy protection built-in. Perhaps the problem player is overly sensitive to the copy protection? I don't know whether this is a function of the hardware (i.e. not fixable), or the software (i.e. different software might work).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Is there any visible damage or defect on the disk, especially near the centre (where playback starts)?
    No and it was brand new out of the box.

After further testing I have found that the disk will play on my htpc with PowerDVD 18 standalone, also I get the same error on my desktop PC if I try and play the disk with MPC-BE but with VLC and PowerDVD 15 it is OK.
    So it seems not to be either the media or hardware, which is the good news.
    Just a thought I know some of the BD menus need Java, is it possible that the latest DVDs do too? I do not have Java installed on either my htpc or desktop! No DVD/BD decoder software either.

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Madvr:eek:
    After further testing I have found that MPC-BE will play the disk on my desktop PC when I deselect Madvr and use the system default renderer.
    Currently trying various settings in Madvr.

UPDATE:-
    OK fixed it, Madvr has a known problem using the D3D11 hardware decoder when switching TV channels. I am using EVR for TV so I had selected the D3D11 decoder because of its advantages in most other instances with Madvr. It appears that some DVDs also cause a problem, selecting DXVA2 (Copy Back) in LAV has fixed the problem.:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread