[solved] DVD won't play properly. (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have a recently purchased DVD that won't play on my htpc. It seems to load ok but the screen just shows a short red strip on a black background, looks like the menue is not displayed, if I hit enter and play I can get it to play audio but the screen flashes between green and black, if I press pause play stops and the regular play bar and controls are displayed.
    I have the exact same problem using MPC-HC and PowerDVD shows the tittle but says there is no disc in the player. All other dvds and bluray disks in my collection play fine and the problem dvd plays without problem on my descktop pc.:confused:
    The player is a fairly old LG BH10LS30 with latest available firmware.
    Anyone have an idea what can be wrong?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    All other dvds and bluray disks in my collection play fine and the problem dvd plays without problem on my descktop pc.
    Is there any visible damage or defect on the disk, especially near the centre (where playback starts)?

Some of my oldest CDs (manufactured when CD production was still in its infancy) have pinholes in the reflective coating (hold the disk up to the light to check). Another CD has a small discoloration that looks like a burn mark. Both disks were like this when purchased new, but both play without problem.

I have another CD that has an original paper label with a small bubble about 1 mm in size very close to the centre, and this (I think) causes the CD clamp to misalign the disk so that it is not at 90 degrees to the spindle when clamped. This disk plays differently on different players. On the poorest player, the outmost track jumps around and never actually finishes playing. On middling players, the disk plays but with varying degrees of audible defect. On the best player (a Sony), there is no audible defect.

My brother had a disk that he mistreated horribly. The playing side was covered in scatches, to the point where it no longer played in his PC, but it still played in the CD player in his hi-fi system.

In the past, I have found that MP's menu handling logic was not 100% correct for DVDs. It is not correct in my Pioneer DVD player either, but the two players are differently incorrect. In particular, the selection that should have been highlighted had no highlight (so you could not tell which selection was highlighted). But only some DVDs were affected. The DVD drive in my HTPC has not worked for several years, so MP may have improved since I last used MP to play a DVD.

I think that some (possibly most) DVDs have some sort of copy protection built-in. Perhaps the problem player is overly sensitive to the copy protection? I don't know whether this is a function of the hardware (i.e. not fixable), or the software (i.e. different software might work).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is there any visible damage or defect on the disk, especially near the centre (where playback starts)?
    No and it was brand new out of the box.

After further testing I have found that the disk will play on my htpc with PowerDVD 18 standalone, also I get the same error on my desktop PC if I try and play the disk with MPC-BE but with VLC and PowerDVD 15 it is OK.
    So it seems not to be either the media or hardware, which is the good news.
    Just a thought I know some of the BD menus need Java, is it possible that the latest DVDs do too? I do not have Java installed on either my htpc or desktop! No DVD/BD decoder software either.

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Madvr:eek:
    After further testing I have found that MPC-BE will play the disk on my desktop PC when I deselect Madvr and use the system default renderer.
    Currently trying various settings in Madvr.

UPDATE:-
    OK fixed it, Madvr has a known problem using the D3D11 hardware decoder when switching TV channels. I am using EVR for TV so I had selected the D3D11 decoder because of its advantages in most other instances with Madvr. It appears that some DVDs also cause a problem, selecting DXVA2 (Copy Back) in LAV has fixed the problem.:)

Last edited:

Entdecker

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Joecrow,
    do you know my forums message :

MediaPortal have unvortunaly a big problem to play a lot of DVD.

Best regards,

Entdecker..

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Joecrow,
    do you know my forums message :

MediaPortal have unvortunaly a big problem to play a lot of DVD.

Best regards,

Entdecker..

Hi Entdecker
    This was the first problem I have had playing DVDs since the very early days of WMC and never before with MP1, after changing the setting in LAV it has worked perfectly. Having said that the majority of my optical disks are BDs so I rarely play DVDs and even more rarely purchase a new one. I use PowerDVD 18 as an MP external player to play Bluray disks Including 3D) but have converted many to .mkv/mvc which play with the internal MP player using LAV/madvr as do DVDs. Other than the problem above I have had no issues with optical media, I regard PowerDVD as my preferred solution for BDs as I then don't need an additional decoder and it fully and automatically displays the menus.
    My apologies for not noting your thread but my mother tongue is English and I struggle with written German still, so don't often read or respond to posts in the German forum.:oops:

Entdecker

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello Joecrow,

first thank you for your answer! No problem. I only saw that your Username has a german flag so I hope you can read it ;-)

The list in the german MediaPortal forum contains all DVDs that I tested under MediaPortal and have some restrictions.

Until PowerDVD 15 Ultra I only used PowerDVD for DVD and Blu-ray playback. But since PowerDVD 16 it's no longer possible to control PowerDVD 16 with a IR-Remote control that is controlled by keyboard shortcuts like MCE Remote Control Version 1 and Flirc IR Receiver.

In order to be able to use at least my DVD with the remote control I wanted to play it with MediaPortal. Unfortunately I had to realize that from 2005 a lot of new DVD can only be played after a very long waiting time and that the DVD menus are often Except for a few exceptions.
    Since 2010 normaly I bought Blu-ray too.

All DVDs listed in the forum entry could only be played with MediaPortal with some restrictions.

Especially DVDs from 2005 were only played after a read-in time of 1-3 minutes in my tests with MediaPortal. Some DVDs were even only played after a 30-minute read-in period.

To make sure that others can test it as well, I have tested all of my DVD into this forum entry.

As codec I used an old "PowerDVD codec" as well as the "Lav codec" but only the "DXVA2" codec and not the "DXVA2 (Copy Back)" codec described by you.

I will test the "DXVA2 (Copy Back)" the next few days, maybe it works better than the normal DXVA2 and DXVA2 (Copy Back) was just the DXVA2 codec I tested at that time.

Entdecker

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I will test the "DXVA2 (Copy Back)" the next few days, maybe it works better than the normal DXVA2 and DXVA2 (Copy Back) was just the DXVA2 codec I tested at that time.
    Hi again
    I use the DXVA2 (copy back) primarily because it is recommended for AMD graphics cards which I have but even if you have Nvidia it and the CUVID decoder may be worth a try, if you use Intel then Intel Quick sync is probably the best choice.
    I have a Hama (Ortek/Auvision VRC 1100) remote which also uses KB shortcuts, play/pause stop and other basic keys work ok for me with PDVD 18 and as the remote has a mouse function I can use that for everything else.
    I will take a look at your DVD list and see if I have any the same that I can test on my setup but most likely it won't be till next week.

Entdecker

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi joecrow,
    thank you for your answert!

It would be nice if you could test a dvd from my list.

Today I test 6 DVD from my List(How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Mean Girls ) whis "DXVA2 (copy back) " and a AMD Grafic card HD5570 (+CPU Intel i5-750) an whis my newest Media Center whis Intel Grafik HD 630 (Intel i5 10700K) all DVD Unfortunately do not work too.

Whis a "Intel HD 630HD" you can select in "Lav configuration" following option whis follwing result:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    none ---> Works whis the documented problems (see Film List)
    Cuvid ---> Lav Codec say "No Hardware Support"
    "Intel Quick sync" ---> Lav Codec say "No Hardware Support"
    DXVA2 ---> Lav Codec say "No Hardware Support"
    DXVA2 (CopyBack)+Intel Ult.630HD select ---> Works whis the documented problems (see Film List)
    D3D11 + Intel Ult,630HD select ---> DVD do not works

My first test I try at my new Media Center whis i5- 9700k and the Intel HD 630 Grafikcard. In this configuration I try the "Intel Quick sync" function in my test this function do not work (you can not select this option) . That was the reason I used the DXVA2 function for all MediaPortal Function.

I think "Intel Quick sync" only this function do only work whis old intel Grafikcards (< 6000 Series)

Whis "AMD Grafic card" you can select follwoing Options:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    none ---> Works whis the documented problems (see Film List)
    Cudvid ---> Lav Codec say "No Hardware Support"
    "Intel Quick sync" ---> Lav Codec say "No Hardware Support"
    DXVA2 (Nativ) ---> Works whis the documented problems (see Film List)
    DXVA2 (CopyBack) ---> Lav Codec say "No Hardware Support"
    D3D11 ---> DVD do not works
    Media
    After my test I am absolut sure MediaPortal has a "read-in" and a "DVD Menue" problem whis new DVD Menue. Mediaportal need sometimes very long to read in a DVD that you will not use this function..

If i honestly had this problem already a few years ago the DVD function of MediaPortal at this time it was not so important because you could use PowerDVD. After PowerDVD 16 is not a good solution anymore because of the not possible remote control whis a IR-Remote Control.

Please can you add the bug to the media portal bugtracker?

Entdecker

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sadly I do not have any DVDs on your list of problem ones but I have tried a bunch of my older DVD collection and those from my wife some of which are very new but mostly non entertainment. All started playback within 20 secs, copyright notices etc. and played as expected from the menu once all the pre stuff had finished. I also tried with the MPC-HC player stand alone with the same results. Given that and no other complaints it looks more like a problem with your setup rather than a bug.
    As you may have noticed the system details are no longer available please would you post which Windows version you are using and a few hardware details also please mention if you have a decoder installed (e.g. AnyDVD), though you don't need one for regular DVDs.
    For troubleshooting would it be possible for you to install the VLC or MPC (HC/BE) player if you have not already done so and try some of the problem DVDs with that?
    MPC-HC x86 would be best, by default it uses it own internal LAV setup so it will exclude the LAV used by MP1. If that works we can change its settings to use the external LAV same as MP and take it from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom