Erratic volume bars and development ideas (1 Viewer)

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My volume setting:
    volume_setting.jpg

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This may depend on where you use them. I made a quick change to my "ClassicWide" version of "TvOsd.xml" so that it shows the #volume variables instead of the programme description. As you can see, both variables have sensible values ("100" and "false"), identified in red:

View attachment 202005

The code that generated this output was:

Code:
    <label>vol.percent=[#volume.percent];vol.mute=[#volume.mute]</label>

Although the #volume variables have values when TV is playing, they may not have values on other panels such as the "Home" panel (I have not tested that).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

I may have misunderstood, but I think that you have tried the following:

(1) A non-standard remote with a non-standard receiver (Sky remote + FLIRC).
    (2) A standard remote with a non-standard receiver (MCE remote + IMON).

You don't seem to have tried a standard remote with a standard receiver. :unsure:

A couple of points regarding combination (2):

(a) All over the internet there is a predilection for terminological inexactitude (crikey!). People often don't realise that not all MCE remotes are RC6 remotes. For example, the remote that I use (the Ortek/Hama) is an MCE remote but it is not an RC6 remote. This difference matters! An MCE remote that is not an RC6 remote won't work correctly with the standard support in MP (it will work partly, but not completely). To use a non-RC6 remote, you need a different support layer, such as the "Centarea HID".

What is your remote really? Does it state "RC6" on the label? Do you know the manufacturer and model number?

(b) I downloaded the IMON software (100MB! another crikey!). From the PDF, it looks as though it generates keyboard shortcuts. When setting this up, if you selected a pre-defined "WMC profile", it won't work correctly! This is because it will be generating WMC keyboard shortcuts, which are different from MP keyboard shortcuts. To use IMON, I think that you need to setup each button definition so that the buttons send MP keyboard shortcuts. Did you do this?

If you defined the buttons to send MP keyboard shortcuts, you won't need to use the "Centarea HID" support layer.

Thank you for the attached. Very interesting.

The IMON receiver is built into the case, so no I haven't tried a standard receiver.

Yes, naturally I have a MediaPortal profile within IMON. I had this working since 2013 with my remote, which is a JUSTOP F20. You have raised an interesting point regarding RC6. It was sold as such but may not be. However, it was previously working with 1.17.

Note that the volume does actually change. The receiver must therefore be picking up the signal. MP just refuses (most of the time) to display the volume OSD.

The Holy Grail for me would be to get the FLIRC working with the OSD - it also was working on 1.17. The Sky Remote is much easier and nicer to use, especially as I have issues with the tendons in my left hand since I fell down some concrete steps and snapped my elbow (ouch). It also has a conveniently placed record button which the JUSTOP doesn't

The FLIRC is configured as a USB keyboard. The receiver is plugged into a USB port. It too mimics keypresses, which I have defined to match my MP set up. It is a really nice set up - apart from the blasted volume bar not appearing.

I have even considered disassembling the case (it is getting rather old now) and getting an internal FLIRC to replace the IMON. What is stopping me doing that is that I don't know of alternative drivers for the VFD MiniDisplay that are compatible and user friendly enough for me to set up.

I shall try those properties again, as you suggest on the TVosd on full screen TV - that will have to wait until the weekend when I have time.

I'm on Windows 7 and I've made sure my volume settings are the same as you kind chaps, and nothing has changed.

I will let you know how I get on with the #volume properties when I've had a chance to try them. Thank you for your help and information. You chaps really do go the extra mile to help us out, when I am sure we don't deserve it !

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    This may depend on where you use them. I made a quick change to my "ClassicWide" version of "TvOsd.xml" so that it shows the #volume variables instead of the programme description. As you can see, both variables have sensible values ("100" and "false"), identified in red:

View attachment 202005

The code that generated this output was:

Code:
    <label>vol.percent=[#volume.percent];vol.mute=[#volume.mute]</label>

Although the #volume variables have values when TV is playing, they may not have values on other panels such as the "Home" panel (I have not tested that).

Curiouser and curiouser !!

I put the same variables into my TvOSD.xml, and they weren't recognised. I wonder if this is related to the missing VolumeHandler.cs file as noted in post #7 ?

Screenshot attached.

I wonder if I have a missing core file?

RH

Attachments

• TV fullscreenOSD.png
      TV fullscreenOSD.png
      2.8 MB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I put the same variables into my TvOSD.xml, and they weren't recognised. I wonder if this is related to the missing VolumeHandler.cs file as noted in post #7 ?
    Strange. :confused:

The file "VolumeHandler.cs" is the MP source file that implements the volume control, but it is not a skin file. You will have this file on your system only if you have downloaded the MP source from SourceForge, and it will reside in an MP source tree (depending where you unzip it); it won't reside in the skin folder. If you are not a programmer, there is no particular reason to download the source (other than to look at it). I scanned the source using Windows "findstr.exe" to build a list of all of the built-in skin variables (since many are not documented in the Wiki).

There is a skin file for the volume control, although I am not sure whether it is mandatory or optional. However, if you have one I think that it must be called "VolumeOverlay.xml". Perhaps this file is missing?

Looking at DWHD, I see that it includes the relevant volume tags directly in "Common.Play.xml", whereas in my "ClassicWide" skin I use the <import> tag to include the volume xml file in "MyTvFullScreen.xml" and "VideoFullScreen.xml". Both ways seem to work satisfactorily.

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    Thank you. This gives me my next step to try. I believe that VolumeOverlay.xml is present. I shall try circumventing Common.Play.xml and import directly in the full screen xmls and see what happens. If that fails I may even try cutting and pasting Volume.Overlay code directly into the fullscreen xmls. I shall report back.

RH

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Looking at my bumper list of built-in skin variables, I see that we already have #volume.percent and #volume.mute. They are set in:

...\MediaPortal-1-master\mediaportal\Core\Player\VolumeHandler.cs

I have never used them, so I don't know whether they actually work.

I have and the do.- snip from my Volume.overlay.xml

<control>
    <id>0</id>
    <type>image</type>
    <posX>1775</posX>
    <posY>40</posY>
    <width>100</width>
    <height>100</height>
    <texture>v/volume_base.png</texture>
    <visible>!#volume.mute</visible>
    </control>

<control>
    <id>501</id>
    <type>image</type>
    <posX>1770</posX>
    <posY>35</posY>
    <width>110</width>
    <height>110</height>
    <texture>#(string.format('v/w{0}.png', #volume.percent ))</texture>
    </control>

Cheers - JCMP

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    I have and the do.- snip from my Volume.overlay.xml

<control>
    <id>0</id>
    <type>image</type>
    <posX>1775</posX>
    <posY>40</posY>
    <width>100</width>
    <height>100</height>
    <texture>v/volume_base.png</texture>
    <visible>!#volume.mute</visible>
    </control>

<control>
    <id>501</id>
    <type>image</type>
    <posX>1770</posX>
    <posY>35</posY>
    <width>110</width>
    <height>110</height>
    <texture>#(string.format('v/w{0}.png', #volume.percent ))</texture>
    </control>

Cheers - JCMP

That's very interesting JimCatMP, I will have a go with those on the volume overlay. I am unable to get to my HTPC at the moment but will try on my return, although if the volume overlay isn't appearing in the first place it isn't going to solve my problem.

I've tried putting them on the full screen XMLs to no success as you can see earlier in the thread. Interestingly I am now getting the volume icon (non-mute) or the mute icon appear when I change channels, and they are not true to the current mute/volume status - i.e. sometimes the mute icon appears when I change channel even if there is sound. It's very odd behaviour indeed.

RH

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom