EVR stutter with all kind of media, vmr9 stutterfree (2 Viewers)

kampfy

Portal Member
November 8, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
not quite sure if "keep mp on top" is checked, unless it's the default i think not. will check as soon as i get home (5h of work ahead though).

thanks for the hint mate.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you look over at the Nvidia forums, there seem to be some issues from using dual screen setups with later drivers, might be worthwhile trying any recommended one to fix this.

kampfy

Portal Member
    November 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    "mp allways on top" didn't help (was uncheck previously though).

couldn't find anything in the nvidia forum except what i stated in my first post (drivers after 196.34 cause evr stuttering in mpc-hc). stupid search function was down btw. look through like 50 pages manually... fun! did i say i hate unspecific topics like "2 monitor prob" ? well anyway.

i set my monitor to 1024x786 @ 75hz which at least shares a multiplier with the 50hz of my tv and playback got better quite a chuck. not near as smooth as vmr9 but at least a bit... enough to say it's not imagination.

btw playback on my monitor @ 1650x1050 @ 60hz is way smoother than playback with tv @ 50hz although i playback 25fps content. if i set my monitor @ 1024x786 @ 75hz (1024x786 because it's the highest resolution my monitor supports 75hz on) i get perfectly smooth playback even with tv attached. just as perfect as playback with tv only attached running @ 50hz

as it looks like to me right now is, that my system tries to vsync evr on the base of the display with the highest refreshrate attached for some reason. even if i switch primary monitor or even disable one. sucks...

gonna try driver 185.85 & 257.15 beta now (first whql for win7 and latest beta) to see if there is any difference between thouse 2 at all. and afterwards i'll open my case and check for gremlins... again! :)

little sidequestion: thouse of you who use a two monitor setup: do you guys set your tv to be primary monitor prior to starting mp or just leave desktop at main monitor and start mp with screenselector on the tv? if the latter, getting smooth playback ?

---------UPDATE---------
    so i tried 185.85: same stuttering issues

then i attached tv only to dvi port (to make sure it won't grab monitorspec during setup), uninstalled 185.85 and installed 257.15 beta. tested with tv only -> smooth (as with any driver). reattached monitor -> stuttering again.

set monitor to 59 hz (lowest refreshrate supported) and tv to 60hz (highest refresh rate supported). tv then delivers same performance as monitor running on 60hz -> jerky but not as bad as original setup (remember 25fps content!). both displays at 60hz -> same performance.

nutshell:

- vmr9 -> leaves me with perfect playback but skin / stability issues. in this case driver or refreshrates of both display won't matter
    - evr with just tv attached -> as smooth as vmr9
    - evr with monitor @ 1650x1050/60Hz & TV @ 1080p/50Hz -> eyecancer causing stuttering on tv, monitor less jerky
    - evr with monitor @ 1024x786/75Hz (highest resi to support a refreshrate that shares a multiplier with 50Hz) & TV @ 1080p/50Hz -> less jerky on TV, perfect on monitor
    -evr with monitor @ 1650x1050/59Hz or 60Hz & TV @ 1080p/60Hz -> less jerky than original setup (monitor @ 1650x1050/60Hz & TV @ 1080p/50Hz) on tv same as original setup on monitor (naturally) but again not as good as vmr9, but this can be drawn back to playing 25fps on 60Hz
    - no gremlins in case on all checks :D sadly, this is all whats left of my sense of humor after this hole procedure :mad:

i'm out of ideas now whats left to try. hints maybe ?

does anybody have a system like mine running in a dual monitor setup ? if so, what drivers are used etc.. if i get some positive feedback that someone around here got this running i'd try a clean install (again, for christs sake) of win7 but i'm everything but positiv that this will change anything.

again, every kind of input is deeply appreciated

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    as it looks like to me right now is, that my system tries to vsync evr on the base of the display with the highest refreshrate attached for some reason. even if i switch primary monitor or even disable one. sucks...

Not sure what logic AERO uses to pick up the target refresh rate for v-sync matching but I would assume it will pick up the biggest one (in my opinion it would be better to pick up the display that is set as primary one). Based on that I would say it is currently impossible to run MP on setups where display refresh rates are differing on Windows 7 / Vista. This probably wont change since 1st target for MediaPortal is pure HTPC environments with display device(s) that are capable to match the fps of the source material (also it would be impossible to get it fixed for AERo on cases since v-sync is already mandated by OS in those).

Since you will get tearing with VMR9 (no v-sync is obeyed with Vista 7 win 7 with that renderer) you should be able to get same results with EVR and turning AERO off.

kampfy

Portal Member
    November 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Since you will get tearing with VMR9 (no v-sync is obeyed with Vista 7 win 7 with that renderer) you should be able to get same results with EVR and turning AERO off.

nope, no visible tearing vmr9 on my sys. evr without aero is of course tearing like hell. vmr9 perform awesome playbackwise at i would gladly leave it at that if it weren't for the stability issues with mp / skin gliches i mentioned.

Can't you add a custom resolution?

of course i can but if i try to force my monitor to 50hz through the nvidia control panel it jumps back to 59 for my monitor just supports refreshrate of 59 to 75hz with 1650x1050 @60hz being the native one. is possible to force 50hz on such a device with powerstrip or something?

kampfy

Portal Member
    November 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Based on that I would say it is currently impossible to run MP on setups where display refresh rates are differing on Windows 7 / Vista.

the thing is, this isn't directly MP releated, since i get stutters with all players i tried so as long as they are using evr. if it would really be impossible, noone out there could get smooth pal evr playback on pal tv thats attached to his laptop for instance cause 99% of all laptops out have a native 60hz lcd build in.

gonna try a clean win7 installation without any drivers (exept the native win7 ones), codecs, windows updates, custom players and try playback with wmp11 on tv to see what this brings up. at least it's not getting boring :(

kampfy

Portal Member
    November 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    did further testing with different drivers, uninstalled all codecs problem presisted.

but in the middle of my testing i suddenly recognized, that shift+1 reports "Refreshrate reported from Windows: 59,9xxxHz" although tv is set to 50Hz. It used to say "Refreshrate reported from Windows: 50Hz" but still giving as stuttering playback.

stepback ? not quite! if i disable my monitor now and only display to the tv, shift+1 reports "Refreshrate reported from Windows: 50Hz" and playback is smooth!

installed different nvidia drivers afterwards to see if this behavior changes and it didn't. so driver issues are out of the loop for now.

so, as suggested, this is really caused by evr trying to sync the wrong refreshrate.

i'll do a clean install of windows7 when i get how to narrow this further down and report back. luckely for me i have 2 weeks off starting tomorrow :)

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi kampfy

I thought I would let you know that I've been stuck with the same problems as you on Windows7 for months. If you search google you will see that there are thousands of conplaints about stuttering in Windows7....but so far I've not been able to find a solution. I've tried everything you have and more but I'm still hoping to find a solution...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom