existing tv recordings not shown after reinstalling MP (1 Viewer)

Bdydrp

Portal Pro
July 2, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
I have had to reinstall install windows and MP.
I followed the manual back up & restore process including exporting tv server.

Everything (skin, moving pictures, mp-tvseries) has restored perfectly.
One thing has not. I can no longer see my old tv recordings. All recording and file paths are as they were. New recording work fine.

Is there a way to view these again inside MP?
When I click on the database import tab, the large field box is empty. However clicking on remove invalid entries finds shows I have manually deleted from the drive (these are existing shows I was trying to import).
TV Recordings.png

Any assistance appreciated

Thanks

Bdydrp

Portal Pro
July 2, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
this has happened again after re-installing mepo from scratch.
Ive used the same folder each time but existing recordings are not visible inside mepo - only new recordings

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    In general if you reinstall MP from scratch (ie. new TV Server database) you will have to import previous recordings via the database import section of TV Server Configuration that you found. However, import is only possible if you still have the XML files associated with the recordings. If you delete those XML files - which some people do - then you've stuffed yourself. TV Server can't import recordings without the XML files.

So, do you still have the XML file associated with each recording?

Bdydrp

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    In general if you reinstall MP from scratch (ie. new TV Server database) you will have to import previous recordings via the database import section of TV Server Configuration that you found. However, import is only possible if you still have the XML files associated with the recordings. If you delete those XML files - which some people do - then you've stuffed yourself. TV Server can't import recordings without the XML files.

So, do you still have the XML file associated with each recording?
    @mm1352000
    I never had any xml files to begin with.
    Ive since recorded a program on the new install and there are no xml files with my recordings
    Are they with the .ts file or kept elsewhere?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Is there a setting to turn on for xml creation. I havent seen one
    There's certainly no visible setting in TV Server Configuration now. A long long time ago there was a setting, but it's been made inaccessible and rigged in such a way that the XML files should always be created and created automatically. The only reason I can imagine that you wouldn't be getting XML files now is that you've been using MediaPortal for years and when you set it up you import ancient settings that happen to turn off the XML creation. Is that plausible?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Chasing down the reason why you're not getting XML files is one task, and I'm happy to help sort that out with you.
    Importing the recordings that you have without XML files is a second task. It's a matter of fact that you won't be able to import the recordings without XML files. Recreating the lost/missing XML files will be a pain. I'd suggest it might be easiest to flag it and just add the recording folder as a video folder. However you definitely want those XML files to be created for all future recordings!

Bdydrp

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I have only recently built a hew htpc (6 months ago at most)..so i cang see how i could import old settings..
    Im almost certain that when i installed mediaportal on my new machine, xml files were bever created.

Id be happy to not worry bout old recordings for now, as like you said i can add them to my videos share.
    I would like to know how to generate them for future recordings

When i get a chance later ill post a set of logs if that will help

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    so i cang see how i could import old settings..
    There's an import/export section in TV Server that enables you to export settings from an old installation and import them into a new installation... unless you're saying you didn't use MP before 6 months ago?

Id be happy to not worry bout old recordings for now, as like you said i can add them to my videos share.
    I think that's very pragmatic. (y)

When i get a chance later ill post a set of logs if that will help
    Log files won't help with this problem.
    I mean, I'm 99% confident that the old setting is the reason the XML files aren't being created for you, and I can easily fix that in 2 minutes if you'll allow me to connect to your server via TeamViewer or similar. Finding out how that setting has come unstuck is the real mystery for me, and I have no idea how to go about determining that except to continue asking questions. For example, I wonder if KODI or the KODI plugin for TV Server somehow inadvertently expose the setting?

P.S. I'm based in New Zealand and it looks like you're based in Australia, so it's probably relatively easy to organise a time for a TeamViewer session. However, unfortunately it probably can't be tonight. I'm about to leave for work and don't expect to be back until around midnight NZST. With Australia being two hours or so behind us, you may still be up when I get home, I don't know. Honestly I don't think I'll feel like doing anything other than going to bed when I get home, but see how we go...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom