Experimental TsReader development (3 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ....I wonder if the stream muxing is quite 'lumpy' ?
    Wouldn't surprise me.
    We have 3 muxes. The 2 that don't suffer this problem are [from a layman's perspective] administered and operated by the channel providers that broadcast on those muxes. For example, 1 mux is run by TVNZ, and that mux contains TVNZ's 4 channels. These other 2 are run at capacity, but not overly crowded.
    This 3rd problem mux is different. It is a collection of all the channels from providers that only broadcast one channel each, and it is administered by a 3rd party transmission/communication company (Kordia).
    I have no direct insight into the trunking, contracts, encoding, muxing etc. for the network ... but it has been my observation that the problem has emerged and worsened as Kordia have tried to squash more channels onto the mux. I think at last count there were something like 11 SD h.264 TV channels and 3 radio channels running within ~25 Mbps of bandwidth. They really do have to "optimise" the encoding parameters and statistical muxing to make it all work...

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm using this TsReader with BufferingDelayInMilliSeconds set to 0 and seems to be working very well. I was using 1000ms which helped the issue previously.

Last edited:

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Slow motion zapping is the thing that makes the video all jerky and slow for a second or so after you zap.
    It can be disabled (so video plays normally) by using a debug option in MP configuration.
    Run Configuration.exe with the /DebugOptions switch, then check under the TV section to find the debug options sub section. First setting is the slow motion zap setting.

You mean you did introduce the stuttering after zapping on purpose? I encountered this first when upgrading to MePo 1.3.0 and have tried to remove it since. I am now on 1.5.0 and I never suceeded in removing this annoying effect. I changed graphics card drivers, reinstalled MePo several times, reinstalled LAV to get rid of this annoying bug and now I learn you did this on purpose? Damn it. I am pissed off now.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You mean you did introduce the stuttering after zapping on purpose? ... Damn it. I am pissed off now.
    Let's be clear: I didn't introduce anything. I don't even know when the setting was added but I think it has been around for a long time.
    If you're annoyed and didn't ask for help to solve a problem then you only have yourself to blame.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Let's be clear: I didn't introduce anything. I don't even know when the setting was added but I think it has been around for a long time.
    If you're annoyed and didn't ask for help to solve a problem then you only have yourself to blame.

I thought the problem was on my side because right before the upgrade to MePo 1.3.0 I updated my HTPC's BIOS and the graphics card driver. Also changed from SAF to plain LAV which came with MePo 1.3.0. With 1.2.3 it was a perfectly stable running system without quirks.

Edit: I did not mean you personally but the Development Team.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MediaPortal 1.2.3 was released 12 April 2012 (wow, time flies! :)).
    According to the code history, the debug setting to disable slow motion zapping has been present since at least November 2009... so I think something else is probably the cause of whatever you're seeing.

I thought the problem was on my side because right before the upgrade to MePo 1.3.0 I updated my HTPC's BIOS and the graphics card driver. Also changed from SAF to plain LAV which came with MePo 1.3.0. With 1.2.3 it was a perfectly stable running system without quirks.
    Well, these are exactly the sorts of changes that could cause a problem like that. Why not post log files and ask for help [in another thread]?

Edit: I did not mean you personally but the Development Team.
    When I first read your comment I did think you were saying I did it. Thanks. :)

rocklander

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2010
    rotovegas
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    finally had a chance to test it here. not only working perfectly for me on Prime, but also on recordings that were made when the previous version was still in place.
    thanks so much Owlsroost! and also thanks to those of you who got logs & recordings posted too!

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Will this TsReader make it into the next MP release?

I also have just removed the slow motion option and I find it much better. It seems to take much less time to get a proper viewing picture after seeking. But then I'm also using UNC paths for playback rather than RTSP streaming, and perhaps that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom