Feature request: Covers from Movies and Series in the TV Guide and TV OSD (2 Viewers)

D3ltoroxp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Oh yes that's right , my fault. I can take a scan later and post the xml here, maybe you can do something with the Infos.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Is there a property which I can try to find the right picture? If so what are they? And the form in which they store information.

pünktchen

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @mm1352000
    i've seen you've added support for further import tags in the xmltv plugin of TVE3.5 last year.
    Will you also add support for program images? In most cases it's just an url to the images.
    I think that would be the first step to get thumbs in the guide.
    @mm1352000
    No comment from your side?
    I was about to nominate you as the supporter of the year, but now i have to think about it ;)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm, sorry @pünktchen I did not receive any tag for either of your posts. :confused: (@high problems with tagging at the moment?)

Sorry, I currently don't have time to get heavily involved in this discussion or to implement much. Honestly, I'm also not very interested.

In short...

It's possible to take and store URLs from an XMLTV data source and store them in the TV Server database. Each XMLTV programme element can have zero or more URLs (including non-image URLs). However, it will not be possible to know specific details about those URLs. For example, it won't be possible to know if the URL is an image for a cover, fanart, actor/actress etc. Only the URL is available. For that reason I'm not sure if this is the best way.

AFAIK IDs for IMDB, TVDB, TMDB etc. are not available from XMLTV or any other EPG source. However, "guide data enrichers" could add them in the TV Server database for programs and people. Then any program (eg. MP1, MP2, KODI) could use those IDs to download data or take it from a local cache. I suppose TV Server could even store the data, but I guess that would be a big job.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I wasn't watching this thread. My previous reply where I tagged you was my first reply in this thread. :confused:

pünktchen

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmmm, sorry @pünktchen I did not receive any tag for either of your posts. :confused: (@high problems with tagging at the moment?)

Sorry, I currently don't have time to get heavily involved in this discussion or to implement much. Honestly, I'm also not very interested.

In short...

It's possible to take and store URLs from an XMLTV data source and store them in the TV Server database. Each XMLTV programme element can have zero or more URLs (including non-image URLs). However, it will not be possible to know specific details about those URLs. For example, it won't be possible to know if the URL is an image for a cover, fanart, actor/actress etc. Only the URL is available. For that reason I'm not sure if this is the best way.

AFAIK IDs for IMDB, TVDB, TMDB etc. are not available from XMLTV or any other EPG source. However, "guide data enrichers" could add them in the TV Server database for programs and people. Then any program (eg. MP1, MP2, KODI) could use those IDs to download data or take it from a local cache. I suppose TV Server could even store the data, but I guess that would be a big job.

As far as i understand the xmltv dtd and from what i've seen in real life, there are only four places where an image url is included: channel, program, rating and star-rating
    XML:
    <tv>
      <channel id="13thstreet.de">
        <display-name lang="en">13th Street</display-name>
        <icon src="http://blablabla/CHANNELIMAGE.JPG"/>
      </channel>
      <programme start="20160713055000 +0200" stop="20160713063500 +0200" channel="13thstreet.de">
        <title lang="de">Criminal Minds</title>
        <sub-title lang="de">Teuflisches Glück</sub-title>
        <desc lang="de">In Florida findet die Polizei eine Frauenleiche mit einem in die Brust geritzten Pentagramm...</desc>
        <icon src="http://blablabla/PROGRAMIMAGE" />
        <credits>
          <actor role="David Rossi">Joe Mantegna</actor>
          <actor role="Jennifer Jareau">A.J. Cook</actor>
          <actor role="Derek Morgan">Shemar Moore</actor>
          <actor role="Emily Prentiss">Paget Brewster</actor>
          <actor role="Aaron Hotchner">Thomas Gibson</actor>
          <actor role="Dr. Spencer Reid">Matthew Gray Gubler</actor>
          <actor role="Penelope Garcia">Kirsten Vangsness</actor>
          <director>Steve Boyum</director>
          <writer>Andrew Wilder</writer>
        </credits>
        <date>2005</date>
        <category lang="en">series</category>
        <category lang="en">Drama</category>
        <episode-num system="xmltv_ns">2 .7.</episode-num>
        <video>
          <aspect>16:9</aspect>
        </video>
        <audio>
          <stereo>stereo</stereo>
        </audio>
        <rating system="MPAA">
          <value>FSK 16</value>
          <icon src="http://blablabla/RATING.JPG" />
        </rating>
        <star-rating>
          <value>7/9</value>
          <icon src="http://blablabla/STARRATING.JPG" />
        </star-rating>
      </programme>
    </tv>
    That the <icon scr="" /> url within the <program /> element has to be an program image and not an actor image, should be self explanatory imho.

I'm also sceptical about guide data enrichers which write to the tv database if they aren't core plugins. One community plugin dies eventually and an other pops up.
    If they create custom tables in the database then, all existing frontends have to adopt those changes.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    As far as i understand the xmltv dtd and from what i've seen in real life, there are only four places where an image url is included: channel, program, rating and star-rating
    Ahhh, I missed icon attribute. This makes the structure/content even more unclear, because according to the DTD a programme can have zero or more icons as well as zero or more URLs (which could be images too).

That the <icon scr="" /> url within the <program /> element has to be an program image and not an actor image, should be self explanatory imho.
    Not at all. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be an image for an actor that stars in the programme. After all, the credits elements (actor etc.) do not provide any opportunity to put a URL there. Even if you don't agree, the point I'm trying to make is that it's not as "self explanatory" as you say. Your example is only one source; other sources can and will be different.

I'm also sceptical about guide data enrichers which write to the tv database if they aren't core plugins. One community plugin dies eventually and an other pops up.
    If they create custom tables in the database then, all existing frontends have to adopt those changes.
    I wasn't thinking of custom tables. Rather, I was thinking of "core columns" on the program table to hold the required internet database record IDs... or adding missing meta-data columns directly. I agree that 3rd party custom tables should be avoided.

D3ltoroxp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have seen it in kodi, backdrops, Covers, Fanart for live tv in the guide. Maybe we must look at it how it works

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom