Feature request: Covers from Movies and Series in the TV Guide and TV OSD (2 Viewers)

pünktchen

Portal Pro
October 26, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have seen it in kodi, backdrops, Covers, Fanart for live tv in the guide. Maybe we must look at it how it works
There are two possibilities in Kodi. Either the pvr addon (like TVHeadend and DVBLink) provides the images or a background service of the skin scrapes the images by title and premier date.

pünktchen

Portal Pro
October 26, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
That the <icon scr="" /> url within the <program /> element has to be an program image and not an actor image, should be self explanatory imho.
Not at all. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be an image for an actor that stars in the programme. After all, the credits elements (actor etc.) do not provide any opportunity to put a URL there. Even if you don't agree, the point I'm trying to make is that it's not as "self explanatory" as you say. Your example is only one source; other sources can and will be different.
Maybe i just simplify it the same way you over complicate it ;)
Anyway it's always interesting to see your thoughts about something.

I'm also sceptical about guide data enrichers which write to the tv database if they aren't core plugins. One community plugin dies eventually and an other pops up.
If they create custom tables in the database then, all existing frontends have to adopt those changes.
I wasn't thinking of custom tables. Rather, I was thinking of "core columns" on the program table to hold the required internet database record IDs... or adding missing meta-data columns directly. I agree that 3rd party custom tables should be avoided.
Yeah, that could be a solution. Unfortunately TVE3 is in code freeze and you as the only TVE3.5 developer aren't even interested in those features.
But as long as you don't even release some public betas of TVE3.5, probably no one other will jump in.

Very sad! For several reasons it seems like MediaPortal as a whole stalls in every aspect when it comes to new features :(

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Seems like you're trying to "guilt trip" me. :mad:

Unfortunately TVE3 is in code freeze and you as the only TVE3.5 developer aren't even interested in those features.
    I said I'm not very interested. That does not mean I'm not interested at all. If I wasn't interested, I wouldn't even have bothered responding to this thread.
    As I said, the biggest problem is that I have not enough time... and actually also not enough knowledge/skill with implementing GUI stuff.
    It isn't realistic to expect me to do everything.

But as long as you don't even release some public betas of TVE3.5, probably no one other will jump in.
    I'd love to be able to release public betas of TVE 3.5, but it's not possible because nobody helps me.
    Still, if anybody wants to try TVE 3.5, they can try the old build supplied with MP2.
    Also, anybody with interest can build the TVE 3.5 master branch and start improving it any time.
    Again, it isn't realistic to expect me to do everything.

Very sad! For several reasons it seems like MediaPortal as a whole stalls in every aspect when it comes to new features :(
    Hmmmm, so what's that stuff about MadVR, BD-J, LIVE555 updates etc. in Area 51? ;)

If you want this feature enough, perhaps you will decide to help to make it happen.
    Decide what you think the design should be.
    Decide where information should be stored.
    Decide about the database structure and required changes etc.
    None of those things require you to know how to write code.
    You just have to be willing, and take a little time to think carefully.

Are you willing?

pünktchen

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is it raining in New Zealand or do you have just a bad day? Don't take my last post too personally!
    I totally understand that you don't have enough time. I even understand that a developer (in general, not only you) isn't always in a mood to do something. It's just a hobby and the real life comes first!
    My disappointment is about the situation that your are the only TVE developer, respectively that there are just so few for the whole MediaPortal project. For whatever reason...

The features you're mentioning - MadVR took 7 years to arrive in MP1, LIVE555 took 6 six years for an update - so "stall" in the meaning of slow or behind is the right word. Isn't it?

Am i willing to help? Of course!
    I already support the MediaPortal project, even with my little coding skills. Look at the MediaPortal plugin for Emby! Okay, i didn't made the ground framework. That was an other guy...
    But i've made the plugin to work in its current state with all the well known features of the TVServer - guide data, (series) scheduling and recording, direct streaming of live tv and recordings.
    So i'm not just moaning ;)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Is it raining in New Zealand or do you have just a bad day?
    Both! :)

Don't take my last post too personally!
    It's hard not to take it personally when you say "you overcomplicate it", "you... aren't even interested" and "you don't even...". ;)

The features you're mentioning - MadVR took 7 years to arrive in MP1, LIVE555 took 6 six years for an update - so "stall" in the meaning of slow or behind is the right word. Isn't it?
    My point was that I think you're being a little unfair. It's not like we haven't added any features for the last X years. Maybe the features we've added aren't features you're interested in, but I don't agree that MP is stalled.

Am i willing to help? Of course!
    Okay, great. :)
    So then there's no reason for this thread/feature to just stop/die. If you're willing to take the lead, we can start to make the previously mentioned decisions about design etc. Once the design requirements are identified, maybe between us (including ajs and anybody else who is interested) we can start to work on code.

D3ltoroxp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When kisscon collect the Infos for movies and tv Shows for checking, when he write the id's somewhere in table that it's not shown in the epg so you tool can read the id's and give the right fanart for it ? Will this work ?

D3ltoroxp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok when this should happens with this tool i give you an Info. Maybe we can handle this feature it would be awesome. In Kodi with dvb Link it looks very cool.

D3ltoroxp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hm can your tool compare the epg title names with the names from the db's and when he found a match use the id save it and collect the matched images ? I think thats the same way kisscon do it. Kisscon read the epg and compares it with movie and tvdb. So we did not need a foreign tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom