Feature request - integrate patched Core.dll (FrameGrabber) for AtmoLight (1 Viewer)

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    @Dragy : i think you need update the Patch file on #1 post, because, it crash TortoiseGIT (maybe because is old)
    use this link https://code.google.com/p/ambilight... Core/V1.2 Used for Core/V1_2_ For MP1.3.diff adapted by Me ( but not really tested, don't have the time (n) )

@tourettes : i'm agree with you for make API clear, but actually we can't modify Atmolight plugin because we don't have the last source available !!!!! :mad: / and i can't make patch for this ; i don't know how make !!!

Dragy

Portal Pro
    April 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

i modified the core.dll to test the MP 1.4.0 features from scythe on my productive system. If can send you the core file if you want or i can compile the needed one for you....

Please, when testing anything in Area 51 do ont mix up any own patched binaries in the mix as they can interfere and make the testing results pretty pointless (and in worst case cause just extra work for the developers).

Don't worry, I would not report anything, but I just like to test it and already have some nice features I can use.
    About the core extension itself - it is quite resource hog, it will send the full video frame to the plugin it uses. For example atmolight could use something that has been scaled down to a small fraction inside the GPU already.
    CPU usage is still very low here, 5-8% when watching HD TV with patched Core.dll and 4-7% without the patch. I don't think this is a problem for anyone.

And maybe there is possibility to disable this "API feature" at default and make it as an option for the ambilight users (or whatever it is more usable for).

Last edited:

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    @Dragy : the best is ( i think) screenshot with 'DirectX Renderer graph' With and without Atmolight start on 2 -3 video format ! i can't made this himself but for information i use it, on my OLD HTPC ( small freeze when look SDTV + LAV DXVA )

PS : All user can test Atmolight + Atmowin, no need to have Hardware for use it !!! Dummy Hardware is available in Atmowin and have same result !!!
    For Atmowin in English use Atmoduino version !!! because original is in German :sick: LOL

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Everyone who uses/want to use a ambilight should be aware of the higher system load...and for me...i never ever has had any problems with performance related to the atmolight plugin.

High performance requirements are because of the bad implementation in the patch - to be part of MP core the implementation must be better than in the provided patch. Also we need to consider if there is some other plugins that would require some additional info - so the API must be though e abit more than just to support one specific plugin.

The current problem is...there is no other solution to get ambilight work within MP properly because we cant use the atmowin inbuilt live-view mode (this will turn off AERO) and there is no other plugin for MP at this time...there are some other ambilight softwares (boblight) but to use this we need a completly new plugin.

That is not a good reason to add improper extension to the MP core - it is just an excuse :p

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Sounds more like something a pixel shader in a GPU can provide while it scales the picture in the future anyway.

Yep, it would be a perfect job for the pixel shaders to scale the texture down (or maybe the GPU StretchRect is performing better, but it is something that should be avoided :)).

legnod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 24, 2011
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @tourettes you are welcome to develop an better plugin for using ambilight :)...i totally understand your point and i would love to be able to develop a better plugin/implementation for MP but i am not a big developer (yet :) ) so i cant do it on my own. The original plugin has been developed by @gemx and he wanted to release a new version (last year) but we haven't heard something from him since then :( . So if someone wants to use an ambilight system within MP, he has to live with the current situation and for me its OK because i, and i think many others too, has no performance issue with enabled ambilight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom