Feature request - integrate patched Core.dll (FrameGrabber) for AtmoLight (1 Viewer)

Dragy

Portal Pro
April 27, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I really would like to test some new upcoming features and fixed from Area51, but I don't want to lose the support for AtmoLight.
It would be great if MediaPortal had the Core.dll patched by default. I don't think there are any regressions when using this patch:
https://code.google.com/p/ambilight... Core/V1.2 Used for Core/V1_2_ For MP1.3.diff

There are quite a few people who use AtmoLight, so it would be great for these people also.

Last edited:

legnod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 24, 2011
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

i modified the core.dll to test the MP 1.4.0 features from scythe on my productive system. If can send you the core file if you want or i can compile the needed one for you....
    That the patch will be included into master MP branch is not possible i think...many people have tried to ask the devs for it but nobody ever succeeded :)

Dragy

Portal Pro
    April 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    That would be great, but do you need to make a new Core.dll for every build @Scythe42 makes?

legnod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 24, 2011
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Nope...it depends on what he is changing. currently most of the problems were sorted out...only some issues with the screen selector left and this changes need to be done in mediaportal.exe. If he commits the changes to his working branch, there is no problem to compile a modified core.dll...i just need to add a few lines of code. Maybe thats not what he wants to test the new features but i need my Ambilight on my HTPC :)...i still test everything with basic files on my desktop...

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    @Dragy : you overtook me (planned for this evening ) (y)

I think this should not be added to Scythe work ! ( For now) for not add "Feature" on his work (is not an feature, is only capacity to connect to Dshow for capture the border Frame)

We should ask @Owlsroost / @tourettes (i know you don't like modify Core, and i understand why !) / @Scythe42 / any Dev with Dshow/EVR support : if this Patch don't have any regression effect on EVR / Renderer for user without Ambilight system !

PS : actually i can't use my Ambilight for test MP :cry:

Edit 1 : this patch should see as an API connector ! Not Atmolight feature !!!! and described as API for 3rd Party software, who want use it ( aka Prismatik / boblight / ... )

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Hi,

i modified the core.dll to test the MP 1.4.0 features from scythe on my productive system. If can send you the core file if you want or i can compile the needed one for you....

Please, when testing anything in Area 51 do ont mix up any own patched binaries in the mix as they can interfere and make the testing results pretty pointless (and in worst case cause just extra work for the developers).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    About the core extension itself - it is quite resource hog, it will send the full video frame to the plugin it uses. For example atmolight could use something that has been scaled down to a small fraction inside the GPU already.

A proper patch is required before it can be integrated into MP core. Patch should provide a way for API user to specify the video frame size that gets provided to the callee. Resizing needs to be done on GPU side.

legnod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 24, 2011
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Dragy i just saw you comment on the atmolight plugin repository page...i decided to install atmowin everytime because the MPEI should be an all in one solution where i can provide every needed component within one installation. Atmowin will be installed inside ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\Mediaportal\AtmoWin folder to make sure atmowin will be backed up if you are using BackupSettings. there is no difference from your current "installation" (same reg keys will be used...no matter which atmowin.exe you are using)except that the files will be updated automatically if we have a new version. Its also better for new users. To make the installation selectable is no option for me...this should be an all in one solution for mediaportal where you dont have to do anything to get atmolight work properly (only thing at the moment is to config atmowin but i hope i can provide a better way to do that within the next future).

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The patch isn't that complex in general. I do not see any harm done by the code at first glance, beside the obvious general performance impact.

If anyone can explain it would save me some time what the modifications are about or what the plugins needs.

I prefer to have stuff supported directly inside MP instead of modified binaries flying around. And support for AmbiLights in general seems to require some changed FrameGrabber.

Do we have other plugins like AtomoLight flying around that are actively used that need some changes to the FrameGrabber? Thinking about a general solution for various kind of software.

A proper support for something like that can be done. Also does AtomoLight really needs the full frame? For me it sounds more like it needs some information about the the colors in areas of a picture - something like an average, but not the full frame in all its details.

Sounds more like something a pixel shader in a GPU can provide while it scales the picture in the future anyway.

Need more info here. And this will not flow into my 1.4.0 work. Feature on its own.

Last edited:

legnod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 24, 2011
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please, when testing anything in Area 51 do ont mix up any own patched binaries in the mix as they can interfere and make the testing results pretty pointless (and in worst case cause just extra work for the developers).

Maybe thats not what he wants to test the new features but i need my Ambilight on my HTPC :)...i still test everything with basic files on my desktop...

Everyone who uses/want to use a ambilight should be aware of the higher system load...and for me...i never ever has had any problems with performance related to the atmolight plugin. The current problem is...there is no other solution to get ambilight work within MP properly because we cant use the atmowin inbuilt live-view mode (this will turn off AERO) and there is no other plugin for MP at this time...there are some other ambilight softwares (boblight) but to use this we need a completly new plugin.

EDIT:
    To get boblight working within MP would be awesome because we could adjust the ambilight settings within mediaportal at runtime ant we dont need to get to windows, adjust the atmowin settings and start up MP again...thats horrible

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom