[Approved] Fix for MP #0002253 (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Committed to SVN version 23043 (with few minor changes).

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

Looks like this patch misses the one case when the top level is PIN protected.

I guess in this instance, the best thing would be to send it to "home". Would this be easy to do?

Mark

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello,

I just see feedback status for it.
    What could happen, for example :

Before fix applied :
    1/ Launch configuration.
    2/ Check Remember last used folder.
    3/ Add a pin protected folder.
    4/ Launch MP, go in pin protected folder.
    5/ Close MP.
    6/ Launch MP again and block appears.
    7/ Kill MP.
    8/ Launch configuration again.
    9/ Uncheck Remember last used folder.
    10/ Launch MP again and all is OK.

After fix applied :
    1/ Launch configuration.
    2/ Check Remember last used folder.
    3/ Add a pin protected folder (only if removed before).
    4/ Launch MP, block appears.

This could be because in this case, "lastfolder" parameter is not initialized.
    (Not initialized when Remember last used folder is unchecked).

To resolve this possibility :
    1/ Remove MediaPortal.xml
    or
    2/ Change all "lastfolder" params with "root" values in MediaPortal.xml like this :

Code:
        <entry name="lastfolder">root</entry>
    Please, let me know if OK or not because, I really tested it.
    If it's still not OK, of course I will fix it ASAP.
    Specific MediaPortal.xml file when problem appears could also help me a bit. ;)

Regards.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi framug,

As I understand the fix, if MP is in a PIN-protected folder in Videos, it saves the setting as the default folder for videos rather that the PIN protected folder.

This makes sense.

However, what happens if the default folder for videos IS PIN protected? This is the new problem, and obviously your fix does not resolve it.

Is there a way to check if the current (PIN protected) folder is the default folder for the module? If so, I'd recommend adding this check as a special case, and if so, make it restart in HOME (or BASIC HOME if that is what the user has set in preferences).

Hopefully that way, almost all of your existing fix will still be useful.

Thanks,

Mark

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    However, what happens if the default folder for videos IS PIN protected? This is the new problem, and obviously your fix does not resolve it.

Indeed, this seems to be the case (root folder with PIN protection) that infinityloop reported in Mantis.

Is there a way to check if the current (PIN protected) folder is the default folder for the module? If so, I'd recommend adding this check as a special case, and if so, make it restart in HOME (or BASIC HOME if that is what the user has set in preferences).

Fix proposal sounds good enough for the feature that is a hack itself :p

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello guys, :)

Well, it's a bit more clear, now.
    The root folder talked about in mantis means the default folder checked in configuration, isn't it ?

IMHO, this case should not be possible at all, I mean from the security point of view and, for a logical way.
    If a user want to protect some files/folders then, why also choose this folder as default folder for going in ?
    It's less secure, isn't it ?

Then, to avoid this, I would like to propose this (Please, look at screenshot), when user try to check a Pin protected folder as default in Configuration.
    If you agree with, I will try to dev it when I will have a bit free time to spend for.

Let me know.

See you.

Attachments

• Check_Default_Folder.JPG
      Check_Default_Folder.JPG
      51.7 KB

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Guys, MP should just start up on the Homescreen if the last folder the user was in has been PIN protected.
    Simple as that. ;)

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Guys, MP should just start up on the Homescreen if the last folder the user was in has been PIN protected.
    Simple as that. ;)
    Hi
    I agree with you, it's simple as that but, there are some ways for finally resolve it :

1/ Mine described above, with less cost dev, then this case should not appear anymore.
    2/ Devs in all picture, videos, music, (may be video editor,etc...) also need to take care for resume, restart events, etc... to really fix it.
    3/ Maybe another way not found yet ?

Bye.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi framug,

Thanks again for working on this issue. Your help really is appreciated.

I don't think we should prevent a user PIN protecting the default folder in a module. Sure, it might not be a good idea for someone to do it, but it is their computer and not ours!

I agree with Chris that one way is to set it to go to home/basichome if the current folder is PIN protected.

However, as you have already done the code to go to the default folder, all you now need to do is add code to check if this is PIN protected and if so, THEN go to home.

I'm sure there is an additional solution, but realistically, it's no major hardship for a user to hit a couple of buttons on their remote in order to get back to where they were. Compared to the effort of "really fixing" this issue anyway!

Best wishes,

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom