[Approved] Fix for stuttering/corrupted streaming of live tv (3 Viewers)

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I tried the patch on my 1.1.2 single-seat setup, hoping it would reduce the disc access and a bit of HD stuttering. Doesn't seem to have made any difference at all - drive access still seems just as high as before. I stopped the TV service, overwrote the files and restarted. All still working though, so it hasn't broken anything.

I'm not moaning - I realise this wasn't what the patch was really intended for. But now I've got it installed, is there anything I could do to help your testing? Logs when playing back recordings?

Rob

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    Hi Rob,

Sorry it doesn't seem to have helped - you should be seeing a big reduction in disk IOs/seeks though (by approx 90% reads & 98% writes). Crucially this is IOs though and not total bytes read/written.

On a HD channel with the patch you should see around 100 write operations per second and 100-150 reads per second (down from ~12,000 and ~1,200 respectively. You can check this in perfmon or by adding the Read/Write IO monitors to task manager.

Edit: Regarding testing I think there's only a few problems to iron out when timeshifting on a UNC path. If you have RTSP clients some additional testing on these would be much appreciated (channel change time, reliability etc)

Ponyriemen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 9, 2007
    /root/home
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: Fix for stuttering/corrupted streaming of live tv

The 1.2.0 Alpha database should have the "stopgraph" column available, but it doesn't seem to exist on your install (bad/failed upgrade possibly?). I'm afraid I can only suggest doing a fresh installation of the official 1.2.0 Alpha and try again.. :sorry:

...i am using 4TheRecord, but not its Tuner called "Argus", does that Info help you finding the Solution for me?
    Or do i have to do really a full clean Install on Server? That is the worst case for me...

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Re: AW: Re: AW: Fix for stuttering/corrupted streaming of live tv

...i am using 4TheRecord, but not its Tuner called "Argus", does that Info help you finding the Solution for me?
    Or do i have to do really a full clean Install on Server? That is the worst case for me...

There appears to have been a problem with your install so your TV server is probably not running 1.2. You do not need to do a full install but you do need to re-run the TV installer (this will keep your settings but once upgraded to 1.2 it will stop you reverting to 1.1 without a complete install)

Ponyriemen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 9, 2007
    /root/home
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Fix for stuttering/corrupted streaming of live tv

ok, i will try that when i am at Home again. Thanks so far... ;)

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    Hi Rob,

Sorry it doesn't seem to have helped - you should be seeing a big reduction in disk IOs/seeks though (by approx 90% reads & 98% writes). Crucially this is IOs though and not total bytes read/written.

On a HD channel with the patch you should see around 100 write operations per second and 100-150 reads per second (down from ~12,000 and ~1,200 respectively. You can check this in perfmon or by adding the Read/Write IO monitors to task manager.

Edit: Regarding testing I think there's only a few problems to iron out when timeshifting on a UNC path. If you have RTSP clients some additional testing on these would be much appreciated (channel change time, reliability etc)
    No worries - I'm only going by the drive light on the case, so not very scientific! It still seems to be pretty much solidly on a lot of the time while playing HD, whereas if I play the same file in another app it just flickers. I'll have a better look at it later. My system is stand-alone single-seat, so I can't help with client testing I'm afraid.

Rob

technick

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi, just for information, tested on a 1.1.2 binaries on a singleseat (to save my hardrive life ;-)

Seem to work fine exept the tv guide, as soon I press button, MP ask the IP of the TV server (without stop live TV).

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    Hi, just for information, tested on a 1.1.2 binaries on a singleseat (to save my hardrive life ;-)

Seem to work fine exept the tv guide, as soon I press button, MP ask the IP of the TV server (without stop live TV).

So has your drive access gone down noticably? I'm starting to wonder if I did something wrong...

Rob

technick

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    You probably right, something goes wrong...

Without Patch
    View attachment 75550

With Pach
    View attachment 75549

It change nothing for me. For your information, the V3 on a patched SVN compiled myself goes faster but nothing else TV work on MP... so I return on 1.1.2. Perhaps just a problem on this test version ?

Edit : perhaps also that MB/S should be equal and that IO/S should be lower ? I don't know how to see IO/S.

Ponyriemen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 9, 2007
    /root/home
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: Fix for stuttering/corrupted streaming of live tv

Sorry to ask again but you're definitely using the files meant for 1.2.0 Alpha?

Back Home - Oh My God, how embarrassing... :oops:

Before a few Days i restored an HDD-Image on WHS, dont pinned, that i restored an older Version of TVServer, it was 1.1.1...
    Now i updated to 1.2.0 on Server, changed the Files - it workes. Now the Time will show if it is better now... ;)

Thanks!

:oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom