[Approved] Fix for stuttering/corrupted streaming of live tv (1 Viewer)

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The patch just reduces disk IOs, you probably won't see a reduction in total bytes written.

There are 2 files used constantly when timeshifting - a buffer information file and the current data file. Each time packets are written to disk there is some data written to both files. This means the disk has to constantly seek between the 2 files which is very slow and inefficient. The patch works by removing unnecessary read/write calls and reducing the frequency of packet writes. This greatly reduces the overall load on the disk to make it work more efficiently.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    The patch just reduces disk IOs, you probably won't see a reduction in total bytes written.

There are 2 files used constantly when timeshifting - a buffer information file and the current data file. Each time packets are written to disk there is some data written to both files. This means the disk has to constantly seek between the 2 files which is very slow and inefficient. The patch works by removing unnecessary read/write calls and reducing the frequency of packet writes. This greatly reduces the overall load on the disk to make it work more efficiently.

So should I only see a difference with timeshifting or recording, not with playing back recordings?

Rob

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    There should be no difference for playback of recordings in single seat (RTSP there should be a slight improvement). Live TV is where most of the improvements are.

It can however help if you have another client timeshifting whilst playing the recording (and both are using the same disk). This is because the live tv client will be putting less load on the disk

mundy5

Portal Member
    September 17, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    So should I only see a difference with timeshifting or recording, not with playing back recordings?

Rob
    Rob, when I replaced the TSWriter.ax and TSReader.ax files, it greatly reduced the load on my hdd when recording 2 HD programs simultaneously. However, I made sure that each tuner was recording to a physically different hdd. When I tried it on a single one, the hdd light was basically solid. This might be what you are experiencing. Try assigning the tuners to different physical hdd.

When playing back recordings on my version, it seems to barely use any hdd. The light barely even comes on.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    Rob, when I replaced the TSWriter.ax and TSReader.ax files, it greatly reduced the load on my hdd when recording 2 HD programs simultaneously. However, I made sure that each tuner was recording to a physically different hdd. When I tried it on a single one, the hdd light was basically solid. This might be what you are experiencing. Try assigning the tuners to different physical hdd.

When playing back recordings on my version, it seems to barely use any hdd. The light barely even comes on.
    I haven't really tested it with recording yet (although recordings have happend and worked - I just haven't been there to watch it). Playing back an HD recording on my system seems to cause huge disc activity, before and after the patch.

Not sure what you're getting at with assigning tuners to drives - I've only got one tuner (well, I do have a DVB-T tuner as well but I never use it). The only time I do simultaneous recordings is with two channels on the same transponder, or with back to back recordings on the same channel.

Rob

mundy5

Portal Member
    September 17, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I haven't really tested it with recording yet (although recordings have happend and worked - I just haven't been there to watch it). Playing back an HD recording on my system seems to cause huge disc activity, before and after the patch.

Not sure what you're getting at with assigning tuners to drives - I've only got one tuner (well, I do have a DVB-T tuner as well but I never use it). The only time I do simultaneous recordings is with two channels on the same transponder, or with back to back recordings on the same channel.

Rob

My apologies, Rob. I didn't realize that you are using only 1 tuner. I'm puzzled as to why you are having such heavy disk activity when playing back a recording. Hopefully someone here can help.

Snader

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 5, 2007
    Aalsmeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    After all this patch didn't solve my stuttering at all (the new dshowhelper.dll from owlsroost did actually!). But it is a good patch after all. Can this patch affect any problems there are till now when using a usb stick as a timeshift device?

Ponyriemen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 9, 2007
    /root/home
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Fix for stuttering/corrupted streaming of live tv

didn't solve my stuttering at all too.
    Snader: do you have a Link to Owlsroost actual dshowhelper.dll?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: Fix for stuttering/corrupted streaming of live tv

didn't solve my stuttering at all too.
    @Snader: do you have a Link to Owlsroost actual dshowhelper.dll?

Please, try to keep this thread as only for:

1) discussing the techical details of the specific patch
    2) discussing results of the patch

More general talk should be handled in a separate thread(s) since otherwise this thread will just clutter up and makes impossible to track down the verification of the patch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom