Folder options MP1 (1 Viewer)

GreatDarb

June 11, 2022
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Is there anyway to fill this void between the folders and the picture with information, with an nfo file or something else? I need a way to put a description in here.
Capture1.JPG

GreatDarb

June 11, 2022
Home Country
I have folder.jpg setup nicely but a description of what is inside or the show is about would be great and hope there is a way to use this voided space when I am on the folder but not in it.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is there anyway to fill this void between the folders and the picture with information, with an nfo file or something else?
    Your screen shot has been truncated on the right, and I don't recognise the skin that you are using, or the MP panel that you are showing.

Recordings made using the MP TV Server use an XML file to contain the programme description. This description is obtained from the EPG (electronic programme guide). In the UK, a 7-day EPG is broadcast embedded within the TV signals, and MP can use this to obtain the programme description. In the USA, you have to download an EPG from the internet (in the form of an XML file usually), and then import that file into TV Server. The recommendation is to use Schedules Direct; it is a high-quality EPG, but it is not free (about $25 per year). If a recording has programme info, MP will display it when that programme has the focus in the list.

If you previously used Windows Media Center (WMC), your WTV and DVR-MS files have the programme info embedded within the file. MP can play those files, but I don't think that MP can read the programme info. You would need to find a tool that can extract the programme info from the WTV/DVR-MS file and create the XML file that MP uses.

If you are downloading video files from the internet and want programme info that describes their content, I cannot help you with that, as I don't use MP to download or stream video from the internet.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

GreatDarb

June 11, 2022
    Home Country
    I guess I need to be clearer on this subject. See picture attached. I have family/school/kids videos saved to different folders, I can place a picture on the folder using the simple folder.jpg however I would like to add a brief explanation/description next to the folder image I placed. For example christmas play at this school on this date or kids 1st whatever, sometimes the picture is not enough to show what I want to express is inside the folder. I want to do this for every folder i have linked to media portal. I am not sure if this space is coded for use, can it use an NFO or a ini file to fill this voided area or is it just useless space that was never programmed for use. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
      Capture.JPG
      39.7 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    sometimes the picture is not enough to show what I want to express is inside the folder.
    I see that you are using the "Titan" skin (I normally use a different one). My "Videos" section has a "Biography" folder, and when I display that using "Titan" I see screen shot (1) below. If I select one of the folders in the list ("Abba" in this case), I see screen shot (2) (click the image to see it full size):

(1)_folder_containing_subfolders.jpg (2)_folder_containing_videos.jpg

As far as I know, it is not possible to associate descriptive text with a folder in the way that you suggest. The only solutions that occur to me are:

(1) Add the text as part of the folder.jpg image.
    (2) Name the subfolders to indicate their specific contents.

There are various skins available for MediaPortal, but they are all limited to what the skin engine makes available, so I don't think that a different skin would provide the capability that you want. However, my knowledge of MP is not encyclopaedic, so perhaps someone else more knowledgeable knows if this can be done.

Sorry that this is not the answer that you wanted.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread