Forwarding / Skipping stops working once max. buffer size is reached (1 Viewer)

Muldini

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MediaPortal Version: Yesterdays SVN (Server, Client, Client Plugin)
    MediaPortal Skin:
    Windows Version: Windows XP SP2
    CPU Type: Athlon XP 2100
    HDD: 120 GB
    Memory: 1GB
    Motherboard: Abit KD-7 Raid
    Motherboard Chipset: VIA
    Motherboard Bios:
    Video Card: Nvidia 6200
    Video Card Driver: Latest Nvidia Driver
    Sound Card: Realtek AC97
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: Technotrend 1500-S
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    1. TV Card Driver: Latest TT BDA Driver
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: PureVideo
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: PureVideo
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case:
    Cooling:
    Power Supply:
    Remote:
    TV:
    TV - HTPC Connection:

Hi,

I got a problem with timeshifting in the following situation:
    Say we are watching episode X (16-17 o'clock) followed by episode Y (17-18 o'clock). At 16.50 we start timeshifting episode X and go do somethine else until 17.10.
    Main point is the current program has changed to episode Y while timeshifting was on, we are still on the same transponder and channel!
    Now I go back to the HTPC and want to continue watching, and lets say jump forward 3 minutes. It will jump straight to the end of the streaming aka we watch Live TV then.
    Not jumping forward works well, so the program is recorded, there seems to be a problem with forwarding / jumping in the timeshift buffer that changed the current program (same transponder/channel!).

Can anyone reproduce this?

Regards, Muldini

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    For test:
    Single seat (latest TVE3 & MP SVN).
    You need a channel where show starts every 30 min or every hour.

Test:
    Start watching Channel_A, Show_A, wait 20 min & "Pause" it.
    Leave this until Show_B starts + 10 min, then start the show again & try to skip +x min (here i can skip at most +3min & end it's comming after that).

I have a mixed results after this test & sometimes i can skip step + 3 min & other times it goes straight to end, will test this further to see whats causing this to happen.

Regards
    Roy

Muldini

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have a mixed results after this test & sometimes i can skip step + 3 min & other times it goes straight to end, will test this further to see whats causing this to happen.

Exactly, thats why I can't say for sure what is causing this, though most of the time skipping does not work for me.

Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Regards, Muldini

[edit on]
    The same problem occurs even if you watch a show thats being recorded.

Any idea what this might have to do with frodo (and others ofc) so we got a clue where to investigate?
    [/edit off]

Muldini

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Another error that may be linked to the same problem

Ive added a screenshot where you can see that the timeline isn't correct. (should be at ~2/3 but not close to the end)

Thats one indicator that the +x forwarding won't work. But even if the timeline is correctly displayed it sometimes doesnt jump correctly.

/edit
    Weird enough, pressing ESC (My TV Screen) or F3 shows the correct timeline.

Regards, Muldini

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    SVN 13071, for me it happens when you don't take any action for a while. Just watch timeshifted program and then press fwd. It always jumps to the live point. But only if I haven't touched the remote for a while. After it does that, I can't get backwards on timeline anymore, pressing skip backwards always points to END. My workaround for this is to open tv-stream again and then skipping and fwd works again for a while. And when next commercial comes up (time passed) it does this again. I'm recording to .ts format if it matters.

Could have something to do with programstream changing? Commercials have their own, right?

Muldini

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That would explain why its only happening every now and then between two shows (or during one show only as well from your writing), since sometimes there is a commercial break between and sometimes not.

Never liked commercials ;)

Regards, Muldini

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    13208 seems to still do this. Skipping only goes wrong when timeshifting. On recordings it works ok. Also popped to my mind that this could happen when timeshift bufferfile changes. Should test that some day.

Muldini

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    13208 seems to still do this. Skipping only goes wrong when timeshifting. On recordings it works ok. Also popped to my mind that this could happen when timeshift bufferfile changes. Should test that some day.

To test that, i just need to hit Pause and check my Timeshifting Folder until a new file is created and then try to skip forward, yeah?

Will do that later (just watching something where i dont want to miss anything).

Regards, Muldini

Muldini

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just tested this and sadly i can't confirm any connection between the problem and changing buffer-files.
    I started watching TV (TV-Server creates first buffer file), pause and skipping forward works.
    After a while (still same show) the second buffer file is created, i can still pause and skip (jump) in the buffer. Even jumping back to the first buffer file etc works like it should.

So its still connected to changing shows in some way, atleast thats the only situation where i can reproduce the problem.

If you got any other ideas, please let me know so i can do more tests.

Regards Muldini (whos starting to really miss timeshifting :/ )

Noelix

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2006
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This may be related, but when I want to watch a show already being recorded from the beginning, I go to TV Streams, and it takes me to the live point.

:: Problem 1: it should ask me if I want to go to the live point or the beginning.

So it takes me to the live point, and I have to rewind back to the beginning. Fine. Using skip steps it takes very little time. So I'm watching, watching, and then a commercial break comes up. Well I want to fast forward or skip the commercials, so I use either the skip steps or the fast forward button, and half the time I do this, instead of skipping 15 seconds or 3 minutes (whatever I skipped to), it skips right up to the live point in the recording.

:: Problem 2: Fast-forwarding / Skip-forwarding on TV-Streams is problematic. It tends to skip you all the way to the live point.

So ok, I think, MP made a mistake, and I try to rewind or Skip-Rewind. No dice. It keeps returning to the live point!

:: Problem 3: Fast-forwarding / Skip-rewinding on TV-Streams is problematic. It tends to skip you all the way to the live point.

So, to get back to where I was, I have to turn off the tv stream, then start it again, fast forwarding/skipping to where I left off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom