Freezing after some time running (1 Viewer)

peque

Moderator - Spanish Forums
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Wow. I could narrow down the problem... MP freezes the moment I shutdown my TV and AVR receiver. MP detects that the audio device is no longer available (AMD HDMI audio out) and it's the last thing in the log. This is the complet set of log entries when I shutdown mi AVR receiver:

Code:
    [2018-08-08 16:33:14,482] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_GETMINMAXINFO Start (MaxSize: 1920x1080 - MaxPostion: 0,0 - MinTrackSize: 2x2 - MaxTrackSize: 1932x1092)
    [2018-08-08 16:33:14,482] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_GETMINMAXINFO End (MaxSize: 1920x1080 - MaxPostion: 0,0 - MinTrackSize: 1920x1080 - MaxTrackSize: 1920x1080)
    [2018-08-08 16:33:14,482] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - D3D: OnPaint()
    [2018-08-08 16:33:14,482] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - D3D: Force mouse cursor to false
    [2018-08-08 16:33:14,482] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - D3D: Cursor ShowMouseCursor state -1
    [2018-08-08 16:33:14,492] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_DEVICECHANGE (Event: DBT_DEVICEARRIVAL)
    [2018-08-08 16:33:14,497] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Main: Device type is DBT_DEVTYP_DEVICEINTERFACE - Name: Monitor PnP genérico
    [2018-08-08 16:33:14,497] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - D3D: OnPaint()
    [2018-08-08 16:33:14,497] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - D3D: Force mouse cursor to false
    [2018-08-08 16:33:14,497] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - D3D: Cursor ShowMouseCursor state -1
    [2018-08-08 16:33:14,650] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_DEVICECHANGE (Event: DBT_DEVNODES_CHANGED)
    [2018-08-08 16:33:14,655] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_DEVICECHANGE (Event: DBT_DEVNODES_CHANGED)
    [2018-08-08 16:33:14,655] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_DEVICECHANGE (Event: DBT_DEVICEREMOVECOMPLETE)
    [2018-08-08 16:33:14,655] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Main: Device type is DBT_DEVTYP_DEVICEINTERFACE - Name: Monitor PnP genérico
    [2018-08-08 16:33:15,940] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_DEVICECHANGE (Event: DBT_DEVICEREMOVECOMPLETE)
    [2018-08-08 16:33:15,940] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Main: Device type is DBT_DEVTYP_DEVICEINTERFACE - Name: AMD High Definition Audio Device
    [2018-08-08 16:33:15,940] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [INFO ] - Main: Audio Renderer AMD High Definition Audio Device removed
    [2018-08-08 16:33:15,940] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - GraphicContext: device audio removed - Count 1

The thing is: what changed from MP 1.18 that freezes MP? I've been analyzing the different changelogs for MP, and I see this entry for 1.18:
    • We fixed an issue where MP was not able to find the correct Audio Renderer Device
    But no idea if this could have to do. Also I remember I have had problems with MP Audio Renderer after that version... so maybe it has something to do with that.

So my options now are:

- Pray that some dev can see this thread, realize what's happening and maybe find a solution...
    - Try that Windows doesn't see the HDMI off event, via some kind of HDMI dongle... I know all are quite expensive, so I would that first option has a chance, before doing this. :)

Thanks a lot!

PD: I attach complete logs if they can help...

Attachments

• log - copia.rar
      34.1 KB
    Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So my options now are:
    There are two other options:

(1) Exit MP to the Windows Desktop before you sleep/hibernate your system.
    This is how I have always used MP. Your remote control probably already has a START button (to start MP from the Desktop), and you can define an unused button to perform the CLOSE function.

(2) Buy a TV that maintains the HDMI/HDCP connection when in standby.
    My previous Toshiba TV broke the HDMI/HDCP connection when in standby, with the result that WMC lost my customised screen size whenever it woke to perform an unattended recording. My current Sony maintains the HDMI/HDCP connection when in standby, with the result that Windows thinks it remains connected at all times. (And the Sony consumes less than 1 watt when in standby.)

Of these two, the cheapest solution is (1), but that may be difficult to implement if there are other members of the household who are difficult to train (i.e. the distaff side of the household, or little ones). Solution (2) is considerably more expensive, but if you are thinking of buying a new TV anyway...

Of course, the right solution is for this problem to be fixed, but that depends on a developer who understands this area of MP having time to address the issue.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

peque

• Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Yes, your solution 1 was one of my initial thoughs for a temporal woraround... It's quite easy to implement because I've got a generic remote and I can assign macros (set of key presses) to a key, so I can add the "shutdown MP" and "start MP"... But I would like to avoid exiting MP while not using it so it's able to refresh news and do other backgroud jobs in the meantime.

I could test solution 2 because my HTPC is connected to an AVR Receiver that thas "HDMI Control" option, which somehow also maintains HDMI up,,, but I remember to have tested that with bad results... Maybe it's time to test that again.

What's for sure is that something changed from 1.17 to 1.18, because I can go backwards to 1.17 and forwards to 1.18 just renaming two directories, with exactly same config, and 1.17 is behaving ok, while 1.18 is freezing the moment I shutdown AVR Receiver.

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What's for sure is that something changed from 1.17 to 1.18, because I can go backwards to 1.17 and forwards to 1.18 just renaming to directories, with exactly same config, and 1.17 is behaving ok, while 1.18 is freezing the moment I shutdown AVR Receiver.

Very strange, my setup also has a Denon AVR and AMD GPU (RX 570 driver 18.7.1) but I have never seen MP GUI freeze when I shutdown (to standby) the AVR. I'm running 1.20 but also can't recall ever seeing a problem with earlier versions either. I can get TV to freeze/hang if playing when the AVR is shutdown but I assume that is to be expected. My errorlogs also show the AMD HD Audio Device being removed when the AVR is shutdown.
    Do you have pass-through enabled on your AVR and if you are using recent AMD "Adrenalin" drivers try setting up a "Custom Resolution" (same as your desktop default) as this is supposed to inhibit EDID, which might help.

peque

• Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Thank you @joecrow . It's obvious that it has to be my fault, because I'm not doing anything special and if that happened to everyone would have rise a global alert in the community. :)

Two questions:

- The "pass-through" I know is that "bitstream" that you configure so audio stream gets the AVR untouched so it can decode dolby and so by itself. But you configure that inside the HTPC (in the audio decoder in fact), not the AVR. Do you mean that?
    - I've got quite old AMD drivers (17.4.3) because I've had bad experiences with some updated ones (messing my "HDMI off" resolutions an so), so I decided not to update them unless it's necessary... Anyway, googling a bit I see that those 17.4.3 drivers are in fact "Adrenalin" ones... I've seen that "custom resolution" option and I've added a custom one matching my usual one. Is this what you mean I should test?

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    - The "pass-through" I know is that "bitstream" that you configure so audio stream gets the AVR untouched so it can decode dolby and so by itself. But you configure that inside the HTPC (in the audio decoder in fact), not the AVR. Do you mean that?
    No on my AVR it is Setup/Video/HDMI Setup/HDMI Pass-Through, set to ON
    From the Denon Handbook:-
    On:
    Transmits the selected HDMI input
    through the AV receiver’s HDMI output
    when this unit is in standby power mode.

- I've got quite old AMD drivers (17.4.3) because I've had bad experiences with some updated ones (messing my "HDMI off" resolutions an so), so I decided not to update them unless it's necessary... Anyway, googling a bit I see that those 17.4.3 drivers are in fact "Adrenalin" ones... I've seen that "custom resolution" option and I've added a custom one matching my usual one. Is this what you mean I should test?
    Yes exactly.:)

Hope that helps.

peque

• Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Ok! I'll try to find that option in my Denon to see if it makes a difference.

I've tried adding a custom resolution, but problem persist. Now I'll updated to last stable AMD Drivers and test again.

Thanks again.

peque

• Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    AMD Drivers updated... same thing. So next step is to try to configure HDMI pass-through in the AVR... This afternoon I will test.

peque

• Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi!

After configuring HDMI Control and HDMI pass-through features in my receiver, it seems that MP doesn't freeze anymore. So thank you very much for the hint.

I remember to have tested HDMI Control in the past (not for this issue, I just was playing around) and I didn't keep that setting... but I can't remember why.

Now I've got another problem with 1.20 (refresh rate changer doesn't get the FPS of my films), but I'll post a new thread. :)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    BTW. Not sure if this is of interest to you but I use a Pulse Eight CEC adapter in conjunction with the MP CEC Remote plugin which puts both my AVR and TV in standby when I put MP to sleep (I'm only using CEC Remote power control features I still use an MCE remote not the TV remote). Works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom