[News] Future of MP Extensions - Design Concept (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyc2k7

Portal Member
March 28, 2011
Home Country
England England
What i really want is to not have to reboot MP every time i want to record something. I wish the 'stop record' button worked. I wish launching a video worked every time without requiring a restart. Basically i would like to not have to restart MP 2-3 times per day for only a couple of hours of actual use. I really really really wish the development focus would be be on stabilization of the current version instead of themes and extensions.
Do you have DVB-EPG enabled?
I had a similar problem where if I left the pc for any length of time, or even tried changing channel after the initial channel load, tv server would lock up until I killed the process. Since I disabled DVB-EPG this problem is completely gone.

Hope this helps you.

costi

Portal Member
July 14, 2010
Home Country
Poland Poland
Mediaportal is a HTPC software - So let it be configurable with a remote - Just like XBMC.
I agge, yet you can't put all options inside the MP GUI. You can't compare MP with XBMC in that regard because MP has MUCH more config options and doing everything with your remote is a cumbersome process.
And why not? Let's face it - how many people use all the options in the Configuration panel? XBMC also doesn't have everything in the GUI - some things are only configurable via advancedsettings.xml. The "much more options" you mention aren't that much more actually, only that the more obscure stuff is hidden from the average Joe. What is in the GUI is the stuff that people use the most - setting up language, timezone, video and audio output, subtitle fonts, power options, choosing and configuring a skin and managing plugins.

Also you have to take into account that doing all the tasks MPEM is meant to do in the MP GUI can be quite cumbersome. Creating a MP1E would be quite pointless to even try.
Nothing matches the speed and comfort of using your mouse to do these tasks.
My HTPC does not have a mouse or keyboard, only a remote - what now? IMHO this is a scenario you should be looking more into - operating MP with only a remote. From my observations, this is what many (if not most) less computer-savvy people expect, they expect the HTPC to operate like their cable STB and are very reluctant to use a mouse.
Of course, creation is another story - but sacrificing easy and intuitive operation and consumption for the sake of having one app to comsume and create is IMHO not the way to go - it's making things difficult for 95% of users just to cater to 5% (who probably wouldn't mind using a separate app anyway).

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Mediaportal is a HTPC software - So let it be configurable with a remote - Just like XBMC.
    I agge, yet you can't put all options inside the MP GUI. You can't compare MP with XBMC in that regard because MP has MUCH more config options and doing everything with your remote is a cumbersome process.
    And why not? Let's face it - how many people use all the options in the Configuration panel? XBMC also doesn't have everything in the GUI - some things are only configurable via advancedsettings.xml. The "much more options" you mention aren't that much more actually, only that the more obscure stuff is hidden from the average Joe. What is in the GUI is the stuff that people use the most - setting up language, timezone, video and audio output, subtitle fonts, power options, choosing and configuring a skin and managing plugins.
    Me for example... I like to user remote desktop to configure my htpc, not everyone has the same needs/preferences as oneself.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Me for example... I like to user remote desktop to configure my htpc, not everyone has the same needs/preferences as oneself.

Me too. If I could, I'd love to use a WebUI to configure MediaPortal that I can access (password protected) from a networked computer. It would show a "MediaPortal is still running, close it manually" popup if needed. I use RealVNC now when I need to configure stuff as I don't have mouse/keyboard at all for my HTPC, but having a bare-bones web interface with no need to install such software would be really nice. Or just add client/server functionality to this new Extensions Manager so I can run a client on my laptop and manage updates and installation remotely?

Emph

sa_ddam213

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2009
    Canterbury
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If your keen to go in the WPF direction I dont mind building this Extension Manager.

Seems like a new fun project to consume my time :)

sa_ddam213

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2009
    Canterbury
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Me too. If I could, I'd love to use a WebUI to configure MediaPortal that I can access (password protected) from a networked computer. It would show a "MediaPortal is still running, close it manually" popup if needed. I use RealVNC now when I need to configure stuff as I don't have mouse/keyboard at all for my HTPC, but having a bare-bones web interface with no need to install such software would be really nice. Or just add client/server functionality to this new Extensions Manager so I can run a client on my laptop and manage updates and installation remotely?

Emph

MPDisplay++ can connect in your local network, and across the web, you can control all aspects of MP including shutdow/restart.

we could add the extra features you are after in one of the next releases (we are taking feture requests now :) )

Last edited:

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    If your keen to go in the WPF direction I dont mind building this Extension Manager.

Thanks!

I am currently caught up in finishing some projects at work that must get done before the holidays and then there is also 1.3.0 Beta....
    Will get back to this once I can catch a breath. :)

sa_ddam213

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2009
    Canterbury
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Thanks!

I am currently caught up in finishing some projects at work that must get done before the holidays and then there is also 1.3.0 Beta....
    Will get back to this once I can catch a breath. :)

I will get started with the mock-up based on your screenshot now :)

sa_ddam213

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2009
    Canterbury
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Spent a few hours on the mock-up last night and it seems to be coming along ok.

I am trying to keep as close to the concept as the WPF framework will let me and it seems like it will be all good.
    I have attatched what I have so far and I will start on the more complex custom controls (like search bar) and start theming the buttons,scrollbars etc.

Attachments

• Debug.zip
      314.8 KB
    Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom