Hauppauge WinTV CI-module. (2 Viewers)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Is it really that hard to do? Can´t think of a reason why Hauppauge wanted to remove the support!!!
    no clue either. they send us the SDK for the CI module "by accident", so we were requested to remove support. :confused:

What are you people using for encrypted channels???
    floppydtv-ci-s and floppydtv-ci-s2, both with alphacrypt CAM + smartcard (2 different payTV providers) :)

tomoqv

Portal Pro
    June 28, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    WinTV CI messed up my system

Having installed this crappy WinTV CI thing, my system now seems cursed. Although unplugging and uninstalling the hardware, I haven't yet been able to restore the functionality of my TV-card (WinTV Nova-T 500). I have run hcwclear.exe, restarted and then reinstalled the hauppauge drivers requested (from CD-Digital-33C, the one that worked just fine before). Still I havent' been able to do a new TV card scan with my previous TV Server build (Oct 17) nor with the latest build (Oct 24). When starting the TV Server I also get a new "card" named as RadioWebStreamCard (builtin) that somehow seems related to the hopeless hardware from Hauppauge.

Hauppauge drivers are like virus, and now when installing the drivers from the WinTV CI CD I don't seem to able to get rid of them completely. Please help, I am not really up to a clean XP install again. It is only a few weeks since the last one, and it takes forever.

Maybe you should put out a warning of this malware Hauppauge CI thingy, so that other users never touch it!

Thanks,

Tomas

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    When starting the TV Server I also get a new "card" named as RadioWebStreamCard (builtin) that somehow seems related to the hopeless hardware from Hauppauge.
    no, that is a new feature in TV-Server to support web-radio-streams like "real FM or dvb-radio" :)

tomoqv

Portal Pro
    June 28, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    When starting the TV Server I also get a new "card" named as RadioWebStreamCard (builtin) that somehow seems related to the hopeless hardware from Hauppauge.
    no, that is a new feature in TV-Server to support web-radio-streams like "real FM or dvb-radio" :)

OK, but for some reason the WinTV CI is still spooking my system. Could there be some registry setting that makes the hardware wizard show up when I try to do a channel scan, requesting drivers for a CI module. Also, in the TV Server, should the CAM box be greyed out or not? On my two Nova-T 500 tuners, there is the option to choose a CAM. I am really at a loss here.

I would be grateful for any hints.

Rgds,
    Tomas

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

OK, but for some reason the WinTV CI is still spooking my system. Could there be some registry setting that makes the hardware wizard show up when I try to do a channel scan, requesting drivers for a CI module. Also, in the TV Server, should the CAM box be greyed out or not? On my two Nova-T 500 tuners, there is the option to choose a CAM. I am really at a loss here.

I would be grateful for any hints.

Rgds,
    Tomas
    it is possible that there are still some entries left in your registry, which have to be removed manualy.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The cam has to be supported by MP as hauppauge do not want this, you are stuffed using MP with encrypted channels.

The cam box on my T500 is accessible and shows a list of 5 supported cams, not one of them is hauppauge,

:sorry:

tomoqv

Portal Pro
    June 28, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    The cam has to be supported by MP as hauppauge do not want this, you are stuffed using MP with encrypted channels.

The cam box on my T500 is accessible and shows a list of 5 supported cams, not one of them is hauppauge,

:sorry:

My CAM box doesn't show any Hauppauge one either. I have default, viaccess, aston, conax and cryptoworks.

I have now cleaned out all the registry settings with the string "wintvci" in it, uninstalled TV Server, deleted the TV Server directory and installed the TV Server again. Believe it or not, the CAM box with the 5 items above is still there. Card 1 shows Stockholm - Nacka as default when I enter the scan tab, but when scanning nothing happens. Card 2 shows the first city in the list, Australia something, and when I select Stockholm - Nacka and to a scan I get no signal on all of the frequencies!

What now? It seems as if the TV Server stores some settings that are not deleted when the program is uninstalled and the directory deleted. This turned out to be the worst possible nightmare. There must be a way to restore the old settings!

Tomas

This is getting even worse. I did a system restore from yesterday, and when Windows restarted it said it recovered from some serious error. I tried to reinstall/repair TV Server, but that wasn't possible because "The specified service already exists.", so I try to remove TV Server and get "...System.IO.FileNotFound.Exception: Could not load file or assembly ...\TvService.exe...

Curse Hauppauge!!!

OK, after a couple of system restore excercises and the renaming of some files and a complete reinstall of the TV Server I am now back with a working system with only the normal quirks. Anyone like a good price on a WinTV CI?

Tomas

daHive

Portal Pro
    March 1, 2007
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    what, support removed?! i was just about to give this thing a try.
    can anybody please give some details as to why this happened and if it´s completely impossible now to get this thing to work with mp?
    i don´t wanna switch to another software, especially not stupid hauppauge/powercinema stuff...

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    what, support removed?! i was just about to give this thing a try.
    can anybody please give some details as to why this happened and if it´s completely impossible now to get this thing to work with mp?
    i don´t wanna switch to another software, especially not stupid hauppauge/powercinema stuff...
    i allready posted what happened ;)

daHive

Portal Pro
    March 1, 2007
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    yes, but without the juicy details :)
    edit: sorry i seem to have skipped a couple of posts there...
    so hauppauge never acutally wanted mp to support their module in the first place?

also, can i just return the ci module now, or is there a way to make it work with mp? (or will there be in the future?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom