Hauppauge WinTV CI-module. (1 Viewer)

kellizer2

Portal Member
December 3, 2006
Hi All,

Firstly -would anyone know if the Hauppauge WinTV CI-module USB module available yet (Frodo has said support is now in the SVN) and if they are, where to buy it; if not, when they will be available and anyone have a ballpark cost for the hardware.

Secondly, it was said that they will de-crypt any stream, even non hauppauge cards!!! how does that work then, though it was at the hardware layer that the de-cypting is done? e.g. - I could potentially do away with my buggy TT-3200 CI module?

Thirdly, What setup is involved and can it handle multiple cards, in parallel of alternative?

Any answer greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    availablily: brand new, will take time
    price: no clue
    usage: can be used with any dvb card
    max. number of WinTV CI-modules: we do not know how many modules you can use at the same time.....

Laban

Portal Pro
    July 1, 2007
    Luleå
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    max. number of WinTV CI-modules: we do not know how many modules you can use at the same time

I've read something about that in another forum. I seem to remember that some representative from Hauppauge said that they were'nt sure (atm) if the CI module could serve two cards at the same time. But they were looking into it.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    max. number of WinTV CI-modules: we do not know how many modules you can use at the same time

I've read something about that in another forum. I seem to remember that some representative from Hauppauge said that they were'nt sure (atm) if the CI module could serve two cards at the same time. But they were looking into it.
    ah, no i meant if you could attach i.e. 5 of these to your PC if you have 5 different subscriptions.
    and then use 2 of them at the same time with 2 tv-cards. so virtualy as if you would have 2 cards with inbuild-CI :)

kellizer2

Portal Member
    December 3, 2006
    In theory, Could it be used to decrypt encrypted recorded dvb streams?;

E.g.

Day 1 - 2 DVB cards; 1 watch encrypted channel, 1 encrypted channel recording (CI used with watching channel).

Day 2 watch the encrypted channel from Day 1 if the CI is free?

As surely there is no difference that that scenario than having it decrypt the stream directly?

Laban

Portal Pro
    July 1, 2007
    Luleå
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    ah, no i meant if you could attach i.e. 5 of these to your PC if you have 5 different subscriptions.
    and then use 2 of them at the same time with 2 tv-cards. so virtualy as if you would have 2 cards with inbuild-CI :)

Ok, i was actually refering to the initial question, though perhaps i should have qouted that instead of your post :)

It would be rather strange though it they didn't allow for more then one CI module. You'd be forced to buy the 2->n TV cards from another manufacturer if you'd like to watch - record from different channels at the same time (on different muxes).

MPUserFromGER

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2006
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Does anyone from devs, who have worked with that CI module, know, if it works fine after hibernate?

My Technotrend CI works fine until after hibernate... I would love to replace it with the WinTV CI.

boot

Portal Member
    October 23, 2007
    OK

Hi all.

I have this module, but haven´t got it to work. The first time i installed it there was a bluescreen and reboot at any time. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to install it and how it shoud be used with mediaportal TVserver?

I´m using the latest builds of MP and TVserver3, at the moment i have 1 Terratec Cinergy 1200 DVB-C card. Planning to get another if the encryption thing is cleard.

Thanks
    Boot

boot

Portal Member
    October 23, 2007
    Very nice of them. They lost alot of potential customer by doing so. Won´t be buying their s**t anymore.

So what now, what can we do? No CAM emulatoin is supported or allowed, only few DVB card have CI slots at the moment and each of them need their own cam and smartcard. How hard can this be??? I need this function in my HTPC and if it can´t be done easylly I´ll need to buy a better DVB-C reciver with a HDD to view encrypted channels and dump this HTPC project for good. Everything else is working now exept this.

Is it really that hard to do? Can´t think of a reason why Hauppauge wanted to remove the support!!!

What are you people using for encrypted channels???

Many thaks and sorry for opening up....
    Boot

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom