Having Trouble Configuring this remote (1 Viewer)

Iceman89610

Portal Pro
July 19, 2008
Ipswich
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have been away from Mediaportal for quite sometime and decided to come back and build a new machine for this great program again. I am setting mediaportal up on my laptop to test it before moving it over to a dedicated system and I am having trouble with a new remote I purchased from Maplins : Media Centre IR Remote : PresentersPC Remotes : Maplin

Does anyone know how to get this working? What I press the start button, nothing happens. The remote works fine in Media Centre but I cannot get anything to happen in Mediaportal. I'm assuming that it needs mapping somehow but not sure on what to do so any help you can give would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Steven:confused:

nuthouse

February 9, 2011
Home Country
I have exactly the same issue with this remote,

I have also tried to select the HID remote and this gives me a little more functionality with sometrickplay functionality while in listening to music. However this is minimal buttons operationg and not everything that i need. I can see the logging of the keys when I have selected the remote type to be in HID mode but where do i see the key presses log when i select the remote to be in the MCE remote mode and extended logging to further this issue with this exact remote.

This remote is nicely built but useless if I cannot solve this functionality or mapping process.

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

madcart

Portal Member
January 20, 2011
Home Country
England England
Have you tried using the HID mode with KeyboardInputPlugin?
If your remote outputs keystrokes (which you can see in a DOS prompt), then i would ignore the whole remote section and install the KeyboardInputPlugin instead - it lets you map the CTRLed and SHIFTed keystrokes you'll see from the remote to MediaPortlal functions.

Iceman89610

Portal Pro
July 19, 2008
Ipswich
Home Country
I have exactly the same issue with this remote,

I have also tried to select the HID remote and this gives me a little more functionality with sometrickplay functionality while in listening to music. However this is minimal buttons operationg and not everything that i need. I can see the logging of the keys when I have selected the remote type to be in HID mode but where do i see the key presses log when i select the remote to be in the MCE remote mode and extended logging to further this issue with this exact remote.

This remote is nicely built but useless if I cannot solve this functionality or mapping process.

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi mate,

Would be interested to know if you get this working. I don't want to have to buy another remote if this one will work (with some tweaking).

Thanks

Steven

Iceman89610

Portal Pro
July 19, 2008
Ipswich
Home Country
Iceman and nuthouse - check this out: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-plugins-47/generic-keyboard-remote-input-plugin-25755/

As madcart suggested above, this plugin works perfectly. I've assigned all the buttons on the exact same remote as yours and it works a treat. And really simple to set up too.

Hi Simondus,

I've read through all the info and I think I've download the right file but I don't suppose you would be willing to share your xml files and help me out as I really don't have a clue about this at all???? :confused:

SimondusMaximus

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Home Country
    No probs bud. I used the mpe1 installer on the first page of the thread to make it nice and easy. Once installed, pop into MP config, plugins, "Keyboard Input Plugin". Click "Import", and in the "remote" folder go to "MCE-Remote based mappings" and select the "keyboard.xml" file.

Now expand the groups on the left and highlight a function you want to assign to a button on the remote. Then on the right of the window, click the "Key" box and press a button on the remote. The box will populate with whichever key stroke the remote simulates. For example, expand "Generic Buttons", then highlight "Record", click the "Key" box on the right-hand side and press the record button on the remote. It should populate the box with "Ctrl+R". Do the same thing for every function you want to assign to your remote and that should serve you well.

Hope that makes sense. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers
    Si

Iceman89610

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2008
    Ipswich
    Home Country
    No probs bud. I used the mpe1 installer on the first page of the thread to make it nice and easy. Once installed, pop into MP config, plugins, "Keyboard Input Plugin". Click "Import", and in the "remote" folder go to "MCE-Remote based mappings" and select the "keyboard.xml" file.

Now expand the groups on the left and highlight a function you want to assign to a button on the remote. Then on the right of the window, click the "Key" box and press a button on the remote. The box will populate with whichever key stroke the remote simulates. For example, expand "Generic Buttons", then highlight "Record", click the "Key" box on the right-hand side and press the record button on the remote. It should populate the box with "Ctrl+R". Do the same thing for every function you want to assign to your remote and that should serve you well.

Hope that makes sense. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers
    Si

Si,

Many Thanks for that. Its been a big help and I've got most of the buttons sorted out now apart from a few. On the remote, the i button wouldn't respond and i'd like this to be able to show info about the program i'm watching when I press it. Possible?? Replay & Skip I didn't understand so they are blank for now. What do you use these for? Power TV also does nothing but when pressed the pc goes into standby mode??

Might be handy to know what you have mapped to each button but so far so good so many thanks for that.

Steven

madcart

Portal Member
    January 20, 2011
    Home Country
    England England
    Glad its working.

Replay and Skip are what you would use on a CD player for skipping to the previous or next track. Or advancing chapters in a DVD.

I have the 'i' button (CTRL-K) mapped to the context menu, so it pulls up a menu when i am playing DVDs etc.

Power TV does the same for me - i quite like it like that tho so i left it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom